iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

poplar (quaking aspen) thinning

Started by Andy, March 02, 2002, 02:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

I have 16 wooded acres near Mio Mich. All high and dry with pretty good soil. I have a few good sized Oaks, Sugar Maple, White Pine, Paper Birch,Basswood, and a MILLION Poplars. I know I need to thin out the Poplars, but I dont know how much. They are getting huge and choking out the other trees. I was thinking of leaving an acre or two of thick Poplar and maybe 10 or so large Poplars and a few saplings, per acre after that. Does that sound reasonable, or am I way off? All the non-poplar trees are pretty well scattered through out the property except for a stand of Sugar Maple. Can you help me out? Also was wondering what I can do with the wood when Im done. Ive read of using poplar for log cabins. Is that possible for such a low quality wood? Is it worth using as fire wood or just campfire wood? Thanks for any help and congrads on a very helpful site, glad I found it. Andy

Tom

I say, uh, welcome Andy

Amos'll be 'round afta while with a answer to yo' question I'm sho'.

I say deah, Kingfish, what's this fella a talkin' bout, poplar being low class?   He outa saw it  and send it down heah  where he could get some money fo' it deah.   ;D :D

Jeff

Welcome Andy!

I'll let the foresters answer your thinning questions, but on the aspen, we have been paying as high as 90 bucks a cord delivered to the mill. Right now we are paying $70 for 10 inch diameter and up  and up sound saw logs, and a bonus if they are very good quality.

I would never consider aspen a low quality wood. I make my living from sawing probably 80% aspen. Aspen is used for many things, but firewood may be its least desirable use.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bud Man

Algonquin J Calhoun Herah--Welcome deah fellow lodge member. HushnYour Mouff  I B Frum Da Soufth -Don't know nuffin about birffin no babies an all I know's abot aspen is I takes two whens I furst gets a notion of pain a coming n in da mornin the pain b gone--Them Michigander Foresters will be checking in about dark 30 and they was weened on Aspen      Good Luck
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Cedar Eater

Welcome Andy! You're just a stone's throw from my homestead over here in Alcona County. Abitibi (or whatever the hell they're called now) in Alpena buys popple for pulp by the semi-load from loggers on an allotment system. It's also used for pallets and I've recently heard that people are paneling the walls in expensive upscale Lake Huron homes with it.

I recommend you get pros to come up with a harvest plan, but watch out for those who promise to get you the most money. They might leave you with nothing but cane popple.

I suggest you start by calling Lora Freer at the Oscoda County Conservation District office in Mio. She'll do a property walk with you and get you hooked up with a forester to get a stewardship plan. I'm scheduled for a walk on my property next Friday.
Cedar Eater

Ron Scott

Yes, have a professional forester look at your property first for a management prescription to meet your objectives. Contact the conservation district forester as previously stated or a professional Consulting Forester Serving your area.

Another very good contact in Mio is Bob Ojala, the Oscoda County Extension Director. Bob has been in the Mio area for some time and can get you on the right track with some professional referrals.

It sounds like you have aspen intermixed with northern hardwoods. Depending upon the  landscape and ecosystem components of soil, site index, species composition, age class, etc the management prescription might be a selection harvest of the northern hardwoods to a 70-90 sq. ft. basal area with gap openings and removal of all the aspen. Leave 1-5 den, snag, cavity and mast trees/acre for for wildlife. Also leave any hemlock or conifer inclusions for shelter and thermal cover.

Again, seek out the advice of a professional forester prior to any sale or harvest of your timber.

~Ron

Don P

Andy, welcome,
When I got back into town last nite I thought you were another Andy that I think I might have scared off with a similar attempt at humor, we're harmless,sort of. :D
As to using Aspen for cabin logs, it has been done. I would do it with reservation. Shrinkage is greater than white pine but less than red pine. Durability is not good so large overhangs and well up off the ground would be a good idea, porches maybe, decks no, or step downs. I've heard it makes a nice panelling and have seen some rustic furniture made from it.

Thank You Sponsors!