iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor logging choice.

Started by sawyerkirk, May 06, 2002, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyerkirk

I currently log, load, push, disk, plow, bale, haul and a list of other things with my 1965 ford 5000. It's a fine machine, does everything I need it to. If I find a log to big for it, I really don't want to mess with it anyway. I am thinking of getting a newer tractor for logging, and was curious what other "tractor loggers" use. It's not a large bulky machine in the woods and I appreciate that. She's gettin tired and I don't want to push her much longer.

Frank_Pender

Sawyerkirk,

I have been using a Johnnie Popper 5300 with a  loader, for the last 4 years.   It will not quite pick up a 4000lb log at 12'.   ;)   She is a 50 horsepower unit.   In my next purchase I will purchase the next size up, just to better help in eliminating over stressing the tractor.  I do not hay any longer, so the tractor is used simply for the Tree Farm.  I have a 9' flail that I use for keeping the roads free of grasses and weeds, couple of back blades for rock road repair and maintainance, as well as the chipper and logging winch/grapple  I designed.          
Frank Pender

woodmills1

I have put a few pictures of my kioti and metavic forwarder trailer on some previous threads.  even though it is only 30 horsepower i am quite happy with this combo.  I have picked up some large sticks though i winch them close before lifting. for the largest i take the stakes off the trailer and load one end at a time, and then set these big logs right into the woodmizer off of the trailer.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Frank_Pender

Nice looking outfit, Woodmills 1! :)
Frank Pender

Norm

We used to use the JD5300, great tractor, but when we started doing many of the things that you mentioned we moved up to a JD7210. We put a Farmi skidder on back for logging, that way we don't tear up the woods as much, and use a 12 ton running gear for moving logs. The extra hp has been a big help for the lite farming we do.

Corley5

Nice outfit Norm.  We've got a 6310 JD at work that I would love to have at home ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Greg my Brother in law has a johndeere B for sale if you know anybody. I think he said its a 54?? All new rubber. He wants $2000

Remember I told you I aint a tractor guy, I don't even know if I have the "B" part right on this...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

That's a pretty good deal especially with new rubber on it.  Right off hand I don't know of anyone looking for one but I'll check around.  "B" is right ;D

Jeff

I forgot I took a picture of it last fall!

Corley5

Might be worth his while to put it on E-bay.  That's a nice looking machine 8)

Jeff

He's one of "Those" types. Won't have a computer, but is always asking me to find stuff.  Weird and unusual relationship to this brother in law. He's probably one of my best friends :D He is my one of my sisters husbands. No, my sister does not have multiple husbands, I have multiple sisters. 4 in fact, no brothers :(

Mulitplesisters looks like a disease when you run the words together don't it? ;)

DanG

:D :D   I'll bet "multiplesisters" FELT like some sorta disease, at times, too. ;D   There are 5 of us, too. There was my older sis, then me, followed by 2 brothers, then another girl.  My mom says that she prayed as she entered the delivery room for the final time. She first prayed that it would be a girl. Then she prayed that if it was another stinking, rotten BOY, she'd be able to love it, anyway! ::)  I can't imagine what could have given her such thoughts. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gordon

My tractor for logging and for everything else is a Kubota L4310hst. I just got it a year ago. Before that I had a L3750 that I put lots of hours on and had it for years. Have been very happy so far. As I stated in another post still have alot of work to do to it to make it woods worthy. But should be ready for the fall cut.

An all around tractor is a tough choice. To large and you cant get into alot of places. To small and you can't pull much. Good luck in your decision. Lots of good models to choose from. I love the hst trans. makes loader work a breeze.

Gordon

Bro. Noble

I started out on a B John Deere in the late forties I was 5 or 6 years old and was able to use it on level ground with the hand clutch.  Keep it out of the woods , too unstable and nice for that kind of work.  We use a 4610 Ford with 4wd , forks on the front and a 20,000 # winch on the 3pt.  we have a hitch on the back of the winch so we can pull a log wagon.  My son uses that rig and I take the old log truck.  
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Frank_Pender

If that tractor of you borther-in-law's was anywhere near me I would have it at the drop of a hat.  It is well worth the asking price.  ;)
Frank Pender

J Beyer

What do these 4WD tractors in the 50-75hp range sell for, new and used?

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Frank_Pender

JB,

My JD 5300 ran me right at $35,000, new.   It is a 50hp.   and is 4 years old. :'(
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!