iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to handle a leaner?

Started by sawyerkirk, October 19, 2002, 02:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyerkirk

Yesterday morn, I needed one good log oak log to finish an order I am working on, so I headed to the woods about sun up. Picked a nice clean tree and proceeded to notch and fell it, all is good till it lands against a big sweet gum. How should I have handledit from here? The tree came off the stump, I was proud of how well it came down. I am a sawmiller not a logger. I ended up tugging on the end, to no avail, then cut off a 2' piece, still no luck, finally about noon I was able to pull it all the way down. I know I could have aimed it differently, but I didn't expect it to hang up there.

Jeff

If you have not read this thread, take a look.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=chainsaws;action=display;num=1032410543

I'm a sawmiller and not a logger too. I go get somebody that really knows what they are doing if I need a tree cut. I dont want somebody pointing at me as i am laying under a tree saying "wow, he worked in a sawmill you would think he would have known what he was doing."

Aint that funny, I have people all the time asking me to come cut trees down for them because I work in a sawmill. They think I am lieing or blowing them off when I tell them I wont cut thier tree down, I aint qualified.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

As you already know the big secret is don`t hang it in the first place.  ;D
Pulling it down by mechanical means is the safest method.
You can roll a small hanger with a cant hook but you better know what you`re doing.
These are killer trees.

Bro. Noble

Then there is the type that knows all about logging because their brother -in-law lives across the road from a sawmill.

It pays to use caution when doing something hazardous and also when getting advice.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Bro. Noble

Kevin,

We were evidentally posting at the same time.  I was adding to Jeff's post,  not commenting on your advice.

Probably wouldn't hurt to be leery of anything some crazy Canuck tells you though come to think of it.

Noble

milking and logging and sawing and milking

Kevin

crazy?
Looks like my condition has been upgraded.   :D

HORSELOGGER

I like blocks and cable on bad hang ups. Gets the logger and in my case the horses away from the danger.  A  2pulley to one gives enormous lift and the force is applied when the horses are working AWAY from the stump . :P
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Tom

Pictures, Horselogger, Pictures !!  Man, I love that horse working stuff.  :P :D

Don P

If you hang it, I will come...
with a camera :D

Noble_Ma

Up here we call leaners, widow makers.  Of all the posts I've read about felling trees, I've never heard of anyone using a bull rope and come along to help the tree in the direction you want it to fall.  I don't do this all the time, but if it looks like it wants to drop in a different direction, I don't hesitate.  I'm not a logger but I've dropped plenty of trees in my time.  As a builder we would clear the lots during the winter and build on them in the spring.   I've  used it for over twenty years with great success.   I've used a throw hook and a bull rope with a come along  to pull a widow maker off other trees too.  The main thing is to be careful and never walk under the wido maker.

Noble_Ma

Thanks for the link Kevin.  I was wondering if I was the only one out there that used this method.  An old timer from Canada showed me that method.  He told me his Dad used to use a horse team to pull the trees over along with skidding too.  .  

Kevin

I use that method at least a few times a week at work where the trees are too much of a risk to climb or the main spar is  broken .
It`s very safe and efficient.

Noble_Ma

All this talk about roping trees reminds me of a funny story.  I was clearing the lot that I built my house on.  It was full of big tall white pines.  My brother and I had just roped off this huge pine when my wife pulls up.  She looks at the tree and says, " that tree isn't going to fall the way you want."  Well I just look up at her and stare.  She doesn't say another word and takes our lunch and my kids and walks over to where we usually ate lunch.  I cut the notch and just as the tree is falling, the wind picks up.  It spun the tree and it fell 45 degrees off from where I wanted it!  We had to scramble to clean it up because it fell right on the pile of logs we had ready for the mill to pick up.  No one said a word as we ate lunch that day.  My wife still talks about the day that I lost that tree.  That was over 18 years ago!!!!

Tom

Women and elephants have a lot in common.............memory, guys, memory.. :D

Frank_Pender

Noble, Ma, mine reminds me of the time she was running the tractor and I had her hooked to a big Fir and pulling straight on.  I thought that 120' of 5/8ths line was enough.  I discovered that the tree was taller by 5'.   ;D
Frank Pender

Paul_H

Frank,
It must have been quiet at supper that night.I would have slept with one eye open for a few weeks :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Noble_Ma

Well, I do have one on her too.  She misplaced her dress making shears.  Ya, I found them buried in the couch cushion and ......................... my lower back!!!!  No stiches required but I did manage to get a little extra TLC for a few days.  I only pull out that story when I need it. :D

Jeff

People think sawing can be hazardous. I think its sewing not sawing. Several years ago Tammy lost a looong needle in the bedroom carpet. Guess who found it? It went clear in, stuck in the bone, then broke off leaving a half inch of needle buried deep in my foot inbedded in the bone. I had to have surgery to remove it and lost a weeks work.

Noble_Ma

And I thought I was the only one that found my wife's needles with my bare foot!!!!  My question is, how come she never finds them that way ???

Jeff

No kidding. She never gets em. I ALWAYS find them.

Kevin

Stop dragging your feet.   ;D

Noble_Ma

Ya either that, or drag a magnet across the rug before I walk into the room ;D

Thank You Sponsors!