iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Golf cart battery

Started by xlogger, July 01, 2019, 05:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

This past weekend we where riding the dogs around on the golf cart and one of my batteries caught fire. I've had post to melt before but never had one catch on fire. This ever happen to anyone here? I guess I'll just replace that one battery and get a couple new wires and hope it does not do it again.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Al_Smith

That one evidently was "gassing" .In other words the battery was old enough as it was discharging it was emitting hydrogen gas .https://itstillruns.com/causes-car-battery-fire-4968233.html

Magicman

I am old enough that the same thing has happened to me, lotsa gassin'.  :-X

Oh, were we discussing batteries?   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Al_Smith

Attempt at humor aside a gassing battery can turn very dangerous .I've had one catch fire on an in plant utility cart and two explode on me .
I spent 4 years in Uncle Sams raiders or the deep seas .US Navy submarine  service .Those old diesel electric subs had batteries the size of a Cadillac connected series /parallel producing 250 volts DC .Although they had ventilation fans and recirculation systems for the electrolyte a few of them had caused explosions and  fires .It doesn't take much of a spark to ignite hydrogen gas .
I might add it can be very dangerous .

DFILER2

I've had an electric cart for about 14 years and finally learned that the burned off posts were caused by loose cables. It must be the heating and cooling that loosens them but I now carry a wrench on the cart and check them after every 3-5 uses. Quite often there is one that can be tightened a little and it's always in the middle of the pack, no idea why.

Thank You Sponsors!