iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone put a GOLF piston in a 028 super? How do they hold up?

Started by Josh Stihl, November 06, 2013, 09:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Stihl

I have a 028 super I picked up seized and I think the cylinder is going to clean up ok, I don't want to spend alot and will probably play around with mild porting and leaving off the base gasket.  Will the GOLF piston hold up for a while?  I don't really mind if it doesn't last forever, kinda a learning expierience.  Thanks in advance.

Andyshine77

Should work fine, I've used Golf pistons and the quality is great for the price. I do however prefer Meteor pistons.
Andre.

NCFarmboy

Quote from: Andyshine77 on November 06, 2013, 10:12:46 PM
Should work fine, I've used Golf pistons and the quality is great for the price. I do however prefer Meteor pistons.
Same for me.  They are heavier than a Meteor or OEM.  Word of caution DO NOT use the supplied circlips use OEM.  Had several come out and 1 break trashing a new WP 346 44.3 P&C.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

MidWestTree

That's some pretty good advise regarding the circlips, IMHO your much better off re-using the old OEM's if you can't get new ones. They stay put, and seem much easier to get into the retention groove properly.

I like the GOLF piston's actually, used several of them on my saws that were pretty much run out for one reason or another after cleaning up and re-using the cylinders. They definitely have more material in them than OEM. Cost effective way to get alot more productive hours out of an otherwise tired saw.

Josh Stihl

Well looks like the cylinder is really shot, got some acid to clean it up and found alot of scratches right through... So now I'm looking for a P/C together.  Should I go used or is there a recommended aftermarket combo?  I am still considering mild porting, will practice on the junk cylinder.

LaegersATC500R

I've read nothing but good comments on the Meteor P/C. Made in Italy and affordable. When one of my saws needs a rebuild this is what I will use. The Golf sounds like a good piston. The only reason I would not use one is that they are heavy. This will cause the saw not to rev as fast due to the extra weight.
Morton Downey Jr. was a good man.

ZeroJunk

Quote from: Josh Stihl on November 09, 2013, 05:35:48 AM
Well looks like the cylinder is really shot, got some acid to clean it up and found alot of scratches right through... So now I'm looking for a P/C together.  Should I go used or is there a recommended aftermarket combo?  I am still considering mild porting, will practice on the junk cylinder.

Tecomec makes a nice kit for the 028 Super.

Spike60

I've got a Golf piston in a Jonsered 820 and it's been great so far. (About a dozen tanks run through it)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!