iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Router Sled

Started by 123maxbars, February 28, 2017, 08:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I usually flatten all the live edge slabs I have with hand planes that are too big for my planer. I found this product a while back and finally got around to using it this week.
It is a router sled that I power with a Makita router. It made short work of flattening the slabs and was fun to use. Made a short video on the tool and how the maple slabs turned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5gPyV0OPNc

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Delawhere Jack

That is a fantastic piece of maple!  8)

Kbeitz

I bought all the stuff needed to build a Router Sled to fit on the
rails of my saw mill.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ToddsPoint

Quote from: 123maxbars on February 28, 2017, 08:30:31 PM
I usually flatten all the live edge slabs I have with hand planes that are too big for my planer. I found this product a while back and finally got around to using it this week.
It is a router sled that I power with a Makita router. It made short work of flattening the slabs and was fun to use. Made a short video on the tool and how the maple slabs turned out.

Did you make the sled or is it store bought?  I want one!  That's just what I need for flattening and removing saw marks from my gunstock blanks.  Cheaper than a planer.
Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

WLC

That's a slick set up, especially considering the one I made out of plywood and 2X's.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

bluthum

I've not done it but seems like a sled could be made for a power planer [I'm talking the hand held sort] that would flatten a slab much quicker than a router.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 02, 2017, 07:13:21 PM
rails of my saw mill.

Can you explain how you planned it to work or put up pictures?

WV Sawmiller

As I understand the slabs had been cut 8-10 months. Was the log pretty dry when you cut it? I.e How dry was the slab - Moisture content?

I feel guilty selling raw wood to my customers but I assume they are woodworkers and have more woodworking equipment than I do.

I'd suggest a metal table for your outside set up you suggested. I could see where you could use the sawmill as a base if that is what Kbeitz did with his. Might have to walk around it a good bit.

Why did you have to finish with a hand plane after routing? What do you sell a finished slab like that for if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for posting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Weekend_Sawyer

Hey WV, I believe he was showing how he hand planed them before he had the router setup.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WV Sawmiller

Weekend,

The video ended with him hand planing so I assumed he had to do some minor finish work with a hand plane. I saw he started with his hand plane and was trying to show how much easier and better the router and sled worked.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ianab

The finish from the router isn't prefect, it usually has some slight swirl marks etc, and needs a bit more work before you can finish it. You can get into it with a sander at that point, or a quick run over with a hand plane leaves an even nicer finish.

Main thing is it's perfectly flat and any cup, bow, warp etc has been levelled out. No matter how good your sawmill is, big slabs of wood like that are going to move slightly as they dry out. Now you can level those out with a hand plane, straight edges, winding sticks etc. But it take a bit of time, and skill.

But if you are being paid by the table top, rather than the hour, Then 10 mins with the router sled and another 5 with the plane or sander sure beats 2 hours planing and measuring.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kbeitz

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on March 05, 2017, 08:39:30 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on March 02, 2017, 07:13:21 PM
rails of my saw mill.

Can you explain how you planned it to work or put up pictures?

I will start a new post when I get it under way.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

123maxbars

The slab had been kiln dried to 8% MC, The log has been on the ground spalting for about 2 years so the MC was pretty low when it came off the sawmill.

I use a pin less wagner meter to check MC.

The router sled gets the slab flat but does leave small swirls,cuts in the grain etc. You still have to either sand it or finish with a hand plane/scraper. I like to use my no7 Jointer plane with a very light cut to finish it off before scraping and or sanding.  I sale these slabs and you will get more money if you have a finished side showing the customer what they are buying rather than a rough sawn look.  I use to spend all day on the slabs doing them by hand. Now with this jig I can get one ready in less than 30 minutes. A big time saver for my shop.  As far as what they sale for that really depends on where you live and the market/demand for wood.

Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: ToddsPoint on March 03, 2017, 05:12:53 AM
Quote from: 123maxbars on February 28, 2017, 08:30:31 PM

Did you make the sled or is it store bought?  I want one!  That's just what I need for flattening and removing saw marks from my gunstock blanks.  Cheaper than a planer.
Gary

This one is made by woodhaven. Google them. The whole set up minus the router was about 350$. The router was about that also due to the face I got the biggest makita I could find.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Darrel

That is one nice setup!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!