iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Barn Build

Started by ET, July 05, 2014, 07:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET

Sorry it has taken so long but the build is completed, at least the floor is in but Ive got weeks of exterior grading and lots of interior work to do.  I just read Jeffs post on being able to load pics from my phone and I think it worked. Im going to post pics from this winter setting posts to last Mondays final pour, 99 yards worth. Here goes

Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

luvmexfood

Looks good. A lot better than some houses I have seen people living in. So where does the recliner go?
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Larry

That's big like in huge. :)

First concrete truck I've seen with a snout.  Looks like a good idea.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

luvmexfood

Quote from: Larry on July 05, 2014, 08:50:21 PM
That's big like in huge. :)

First concrete truck I've seen with a snout.  Looks like a good idea.

First time I ever saw one of those type concrete trucks I was doing some training down in Baton Rouge. First thought came to my mind was "here comes a concrete truck going backwards".
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

thecfarm

That is a mighty nice"barn".  Go Big or Go Home.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Den Socling

I've built my shops by pouring concrete and then putting the building on top. I'm wondering why you did it in the opposite order?

Don_Papenburg

Too cold with the white stuff on the ground?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thats not a barn......its a hanger.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pigman

The barn will not be large enough, they never are. They have been using front unloading concrete trucks around here for years. The shoot is controlled hydraulically by the driver in the truck.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Den Socling

Pigman is right Those front chutes have been around for a long time.

goose63

That barn would look good here at my place
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Bricklayer51

Around here they are called rite ways. Been around for years. After 37 years of pouring concrete I found out from a concrete tech teacher I had been placing it not pouring.

ET

The new barn is 104x60. The old barn was 104x40 (bank barn), heres a few pics of when it was getting dismantled. 

The old barn was dangerous, foundations falling apart, floors broken through etc.

Im hoping I can get my mill, drying area, new woodworking shop, and a room to keep kiln dried lumber in. Lots to do, you would not know Im retired.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

sandhills

I love it!
PS. if my wife sees this I blame you  :).

petefrom bearswamp

Nice building!
As Pigman said, it wont be big enough.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

bigred1951

the old barn you tore down looks better shape then some one the ones that get used dailey around here

Autocar

I like your new barn but the old one is even better in my eyes.
Bill

WDH

That old barn has seen a lot of history. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ET

Den, it is a pole barn where the poles go down 4-6 feet into the ground. If the concrete were put down first then they could not drill the holes. I built my garage 54x30 with concrete and a one course of block and pole built on that. Its alot more expense. 

I originally wanted a 40x60 barn and a 24x40 sawmill shed and a 24x80 drying barn but 30% more expensive than building the one big one.

Im hoping it will be big enough for everything. I plan on putting the kiln inside too. Only non farm or sawing thing going into the barn will be my camper. Its starting to show its age sitting outside.

I agree that tearing down the old barn was pretty tough, but all the wood was reclaimed and as I hear its already all around the country in various new projects, this makes me feel better. I kept one white oak sleeper (40 ft long) it has 160 rings and was placed in 1875 which makes that tree growing maybe in the 1600's. Have not decided how to use the wood yet.

I also still have another 30-40 old bank barn left and will restore it someday. Ill get a pic of it and post.

ET

Here's a few pics of my smaller bank barn. Its way to cool to dismantle, I will restore it someday. Yes it is stuffed with everything. 

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

John25mm

ET both the old and new barns look great. It is a shame about the other barn though. My Brother-in-law and his family came down from Ohio a few years ago and poured/placed a new driveway in for me and the wife(35 yards worth) and it was the first time he had ever worked with a front discharge mixer. At first he was wondering about how it would go(he has worked with concrete for the past 25+ years) mid way through the first load he was in love. The fact that the driver can control everything right from his seat and get out of the way when things are moving fast made his day. The wife and I are getting ready to put concrete in out pole barn up in Ohio later this year and everyone is right it isn't big enough. We started out with 20'x32' and are now adding 14' wings to either side. The only difference I can see between yours and ours is we are putting in radiant heat in ours.
Again enjoy and they both look great I am a bit jealous of you though.

thechknhwk

That is a mega-barn.  Congrats.

ET

Hi John and thanks for the reply and compliments!  I seriously thought a long time about putting in radiant floor heating. I understand it completely as back during the oil embargo of the 70's I designed and built a hot water heating system complete with blower, aquastats, sail switches, heat exchangers, etc. worked great for over a decade heating my family home, then I broke down and bought a propane furnace. Im planning on heating my new woodworking shop (20x30) with a wood furnace (air) and maybe have a small propane furnace for backup. Im just tired of tinkering with gadgets, wood heat is just dandy in my book. My time is is better spent sawing than worring about another electronic device failing and costing me to fix it. Sorry for rant, IMHO.  Ernie

Thank You Sponsors!