iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening Cost

Started by vfauto, July 09, 2012, 08:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavertooth

If you send your blades back to WM to sharpen you will come out cheaper  to not be on their blade replacement program if you can afford to purchase 60 blades at a time when you buy blades. 15% discount an free shipping. If you cant afford to buy that many at a time you maybe can find someone else to go in with you.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

ely

those CBN wheels that i found are only 3 inch dia. is that what you guys are using? i think the ones i use on my grinder are 5 or 6 inch dia.

tommone

Quote from: ely on July 12, 2012, 09:09:12 AM
those CBN wheels that i found are only 3 inch dia. is that what you guys are using? i think the ones i use on my grinder are 5 or 6 inch dia.
They are both 5 inch one 3/8 inch wide for Cooks and one 1/4 inch wide for Woodmizer drag grinder.

woodhick

I have mine done by another Woodmizer owner who specializes in sharpening more than milling.  cost is $5 each and he does an excellent job.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

bandmiller2

Woodhick,you have a good deal there at $5 a pop.Setting and sharpening even with good machinery is boreing and gets old fast.I just completed 30 long bands and am glad to see the heels of them.I will just sharpen for $6 but setting and sharpening $7.50 just not worth it for much less.If you hump sharpened bands all day, it looks like you fought with a puddy cat and lost. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

hamish

Just dug up a few invoices at work for the sharpening service in this area, to set a re-sharpen a (yes one band) $17 + tax(13%) but no shipping charges as they pick up throughout the region...........

Brand new woodmizer double hard can be had for $22.20 (never tried one but would like to) Lenox Woodmaster C's $18.36 etc........plus shipping and taxes of course.

Seems my sharpener I bought used for $400 last year has already paid or itself.......feels good.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

woodhick

Yeah bandmiller I cant or wont sharpen them for $5 each.  This guy prefers to sharpen bands than to saw as his business.  He is using woodmizer equipment with CBN wheels and a Cooks dual tooth setter.   Bands are just as good if not better than the ones I was getting back from woodmizer and he will sharpen a band that has  few teeth missing or wore down but he marks it so you can use it for "iffy" logs for reclaimed stuff.  Great guy to deal with. 
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

bandmiller2

Theirs nothing better than cutting with a freash, vicous sharp band, they just make an evil sounding hiss as they cut.This hot weather I'll cut two or three logs then  go home and put the band on the sharpener just barely kissing the teeth. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

xlogger

Backwoods Sawyer or anyone here, did you order the CBN wheels from Ireland or get them here in US?  I have a Wright Machine grinder from TK and was looking at getting new wheels for it. The wheel on it is 6" X3/16X5/8. I got it used and was also wondering if he changed the wheel or is this the correct size for the grinder. My wheel is down to about 5 1/2 now. I know I can call TK and get new wheels was looking at what you said about the CBN wheels. I can seem to find any that size here in town. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

ladylake

How many blades do a CBN wheel sharpen before before wearing out.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

tommone

Ladylake it varies a lot depending on the sharpener type, wet or dry, no of times going round the blade etc but generally you should get 200 to 400 . If you need more info can you PM me? tom

Solomon

I have an old WM band blade shapener its not the CBN SHARPENER.   Also have the single tooth setter.  Have sharpened only a couple blades that are inch and a half x 7/8 x 229 inches.  It takes two passes.  They seem to cut cleaner than new and last just a bit longer.  Don't have a clue why.
  When I dammage a blade , if possable and it normally is I cut the blade to 150 inches have them welded. I have a half dozen Im going to sharpen and try them out on my Band saw in the shop.
Just got the parts from WM to get the sharpener running right.  Have to get it set up level and all that.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: ladylake on October 27, 2012, 06:56:51 AM

I've used two different CBN wheels (woodmizer) about 225 bands each so far no sign of wearing out, although I don't know what happens when one wears out. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

petefrom bearswamp

showing my ignorance, do the cbn wheels come all  profiled and if not how do you achieve the proper profile?
i have an older WM sharpener and setter and am not fond of sharpening and setting but am too cheap to send them to WM.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tommone

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 27, 2012, 06:11:43 PM
Quote from: ladylake on October 27, 2012, 06:56:51 AM

I've used two different CBN wheels (woodmizer) about 225 bands each so far no sign of wearing out, although I don't know what happens when one wears out. 
The CBN wheels made by woodmizer are a single layer of CBN particles electroplated on to a steel preform. The wheel location first to wear out is usually the small radius which contacts the start of the gullet . It will become a different shade as it approaches the end of its life from the rest of the wheel so keep an eye out for this . It wont happen overnight so dont panic.Tom

ladylake

Tom   Are the wheel you sell different than the WM ones, longer life?   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

tommone

Steve I'll have to PM you as we are not sponsors and it would be unethical to blatantly advertise at the expense of those who are, Tom

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: tommone on October 28, 2012, 02:11:15 PM
Steve I'll have to PM you as we are not sponsors and it would be unethical to blatantly advertise at the expense of those who are, Tom
Well said. Spoken like a true gentleman.

Perhaps you should join the ranks of sponsors of this fine forum.

Again, I appreciate your high standard of conduct that this post displayed.

Herb

tommone

Thanks for complement Herb, integrity is something I value highly. We'll soon be one of the shameless commerce links  and maybe sponsorship will follow, Tom.

WH_Conley

Hurry up, I am interested in one of those stones too. :D
Bill

Magicman

WM Resharp will not change the profile/pitch of a blade because it will abnormally wear the sharpening wheel/stone.

In other words, if it is a 10° blade it stays a 10° blade.  They will not change it to a 7°, etc.  With that in mind, if you are changing the tooth angle on blades, you could be reducing your wheel/stone's life.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tommone

Very true Magicman, with the Woodmizer CBN system you will need to use 10 degree wheels with 10 degree blades and so on.  Using a 10 degree wheel with any other wheel angle will ruin the wheel and give a very unsatisfactory and incomplete grind.

davey duck

I send mine to Resharp /Northeast . $134.00 for 15 blades -clean,sharpen and set,saves me time and having to buy equipment.It also seems that the resharpened blades are sharper than new,I remember a thread on that subject about a year ago.
David G.Fleming

xlogger

So if I was changing a 10 degree band to a 4 degree I would need two different wheels if I wanted some to stay at 10?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Magicman

If you have 10° bands and want some 4° bands, then buy some 4° bands and the sharpening wheel to go with them.  Don't think about using a CBN to convert one tooth pitch to another.  Buy what you need and sharpen them with the proper stone/wheel.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!