iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lane and a Frick sawmill

Started by Buddyw, November 02, 2012, 06:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddyw

Hi everyone, as most of yall know I am new here and green as they come. Well a month I had NO mill and I always wanted one so I found a older Lane mill and bought it. I been working with one hand doing this and that. Even got my wife to start painting on it. Looks good , I think. Getting to the point , yesterday I got wind of   another mill about 12 miles from me that was for sale. Well as all of you know, I dont have nothing to do but go to therapy for my shoulder and come back home and sit around.LOL.. I just had to go look.. ;D

Well , I had to have it and bought it . I guess I got the disease....LOL.  This is a Frick 01 mill. Powered with a nice running 471 Detroit diesel. (We started it today). He has the hydraulic log turner and a Miller brand edgar that went with it. I also got 6 boxes of new teeth for the saw and the tool needed to remove and replace them.  I took some pictures today to share with yall. Tell me what you think, Did I do ok ?  or did I dig myself a deeper hole to fall into ... LOL...

beenthere

You did real good. Now be sure to pay 100% attention to that shoulder as you will surely want it in good shape to move forward. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

All steel.  You done good.   smiley_thumbsup
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sprucegum

That was a nice looking set up  8)

Now which one are you going to get cutting first, the Lane or this one  :)

Autocar

One thing for sure if one is a left hand mill and the other one is a right hand you can saw cant's while your wife bust the cants down to lumber  ;D
Bill

sealark37

I can think of nothing sadder than a man who has run out of projects.  Good Luck, and Have Fun.   Regards, Clark

bandmiller2

Mills are like potato chips,you can't have just one.Ment to warn you about that,I had the fixens of four mills at one time.Theirs not too much you can switch between mills as the Lane uses a beam to mount the headblocks and the frick has seperate knee headblocks.The frick looks ready to roll.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

hackberry jake

It amazes me how these mills sit out in the weather for decades and still chug through lumber. That's just pretty ham dandy.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

captain_crunch

Me bee very jealious nice score on your part :( :( :(
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

steamsawyer

I like it. You did good. I'd almost trade ya if it had a steam engine. ;D

Just run around it with a weed eater and go to work.  8)

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

brb

Looks like a great score! Glad I am not the only one trying to get one mill running, and going to look at others for sale!!

Buddyw

Thanks guy's for the replys.  We actually started it up yesterday and I watched him saw a log.   I just got off the phone with the guy I got it from and we (My son and the seller)are going to start knocking it down this morning to get it ready to move.  I will post more pictures as the move goes on.. Darn im excited....LOL.. Like a kid on Christmas morning ...LOL..   I will wait till a little later to tell yall what I gave or the mill . Yall just won't believe the deal that I made..(I don't believe it myself) .I will give you a hint . No money was involved.LOL... 

dblair

First, Welcome to the forum , what a buy . that mill is going to take a lot of logs in a day to keep it happy. that's a lot of flat country in those pictures are you close to me ?
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Buddyw

Hi guys. we got some of it moved today. We got the power unit and the edger loaded and moved to my place and off loaded.. I got to admit . I just hate to ask someone to help me do something. I have been working by myself so long it just ,, well its hard to explain..LOL...  Me trying to do my part with one hand I feel like im in the way... Well I had to vent off..  Sorry...  Dblair , Y

ou not too far from me if you are in Chester. Depends on where in Chester you are. I am about 40 miles (give or take 1 or 2 ) from the Enon bridge on 295.  Here a few pictures of today.  Can anyone tell me anything about this edger ????

Solomon

MY LM4

You did really well.  How far are you from Norfolk?  I may have to ride up there and see this thing run.   I am going to be in Broadway Virginia Thanksgiving weekend.  Thats in Rockingham County.     Welcome aboard.
   Pete,  Chesapeake  Virginia.

Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Buddyw

Hi Solomon, Nice setup you have there.  If I had to take a guess , im about 65 to 70 miles from Chesapeake . Thanks for the reply. You are more than welcome to come up . I am sure it will be late spring before I get this mill up and running. I got to wait till this darn shoulder gets over being cut on.  LOL...

ddcuning

That is a nice looking Frick. You won't regret getting the all steel set up. I sawed for 5 years on a wood set up and it seemed like everytime the humidity changed, I sawed wedges.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Okrafarmer

That edger is made in Meridian, MS-- that's Fishfarmer's stomping grounds. Maybe he knows something, or could find out.  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

dblair

I live in Chester but my mill is in Dinwiddie county . hard to understand why a mill that nice didn't have a roof over it .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Meadows Miller

Gday

First of Welcome to The Forum Buddy if I have not said it yet Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Nothing wrong with owning two,three or Five or more mills as long as you own them Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D 8) 8) That is a nice looking mill there with the Frick  a good tidy up an a go over and you will be ready for action you are also doing a good job on the Lane I take it the frick is going to be the main mill now it might pay to finish painting the Lane at some point then putting it down by the road with a log on the carriage ith a flat face with a sign for your business carved into it  ;) ;D 8)

You have The Frick a Mellot #5 chain turner and the Miner Edger looks to me to be a 3-31 Model (but there was other models similar size too Like a 2-26 I think )  Meadows Mills in North Wilkesboro NC owns and builds Miner Edgers now www.meadowsmills.com Just email Jeff Call and he will send you out any parts or info you need  ;) ;D I have the full parts list with exploded drawings for the Meadows Mills and Edgers here he sent me but not the Miner Edgers though Mate

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!