iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore Slab Bench

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 20, 2012, 01:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 21, 2012, 09:54:29 PM
In the second pic, that bench is looking back at me  :).

Ever since I built that bench, it's been looking toward Georgia.....and I don't know why. :-\
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Why don't both of you just meet me at the Cabin and we will "Crisp some Chickin" and discuss that my bench??   Now how 'bout dem apples  ???   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

How did you fasten the pieces together, Poston? And did you dry the wood first?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 22, 2012, 06:09:23 PM
How did you fasten the pieces together, Poston? And did you dry the wood first?

The log was dry. The heart was at 28% mc and from there out it went down to 11%. I figured no need to Kiln.

The top was secured with 10" bolts. I got them from Lowe's. They have the "star head" on the drive end so you can take it on down. Then I just plugged the hole over the screw head. The brace under the bench was put on the same way only I used 6 inch screws. Where all wood meets, I wet it with water and used GORILLA GLUE. I used just enough so it would not foam out on the cracks. The wood, 'AIN'T GONNA MOVE".

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on April 22, 2012, 06:00:16 PM
Why don't both of you just meet me at the Cabin and we will "Crisp some Chickin" and discuss that my bench??   Now how 'bout dem apples  ???   ;D

Dem Apples taste like GRANNY SMITH apples.......S O U R!  :-X

I might.....just might.....build you a SWEET GUM bench and send it to you.  :)

jamesamd

That is one sweet bench!!!
Well done Dave 8)
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Okrafarmer

That's how you got away with sawing a side slab out of sycamore without it warping, then. You cut it when it was already dry.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Hopefully, those 10" bolts will keep it tame. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!