iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's junkyard find.

Started by Kbeitz, January 09, 2017, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: thecfarm on March 19, 2018, 09:18:37 PMI don't want to say 25 gallons,but I think I am right.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a metal bucket about 2.5-3 gallon full of stainless bolts.  Sizes range from 3/16 to 7/16 (most being 3/8") lengths from 2" up to 4-1/2".  Ninety nine and one half pounds.  Based on counts/jar I put it at 1,500 to 1,800 bolts.  That took about 8 hours to sort.  Not bad for $20 on CL.

Update:  As you can see in the pictures, my estimate earlier of 250 containers was a bit low.  I counted at least 400 between the two set of cabinets.  The jars in the green metal cabinets (with red and green lids showing) and the top two rows on the front left white rack are all stainless.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

I take a hot melt glue gun and take one bolt,nut or washer out of my drawer and glue it on front so I know what I have in each draw. It's easy to change when needed. My mixed drawers are just marked mixed. This also works for nails and screws.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Organized. Good job.
I found steel cabinets,I think used for cards,like with a hole in the bottom,like to keep tax records? Draws are about 4 inches by a foot long. There are 54 draws.I have some stuff in there. That is where most of the small nuts and bolts will go. A small coffee can fit nice in the draws.  When ever I go to the dump,I pick up those big gallon cans. Hard to fine big tin cards now. Most coffee cans are cardboard now. The brand I buy is still tin,so far.
It is so much easier to walk up to something and pull out a draw and there it is. I do the pull out the draw and the paw through a bucket to find what I need. The pull out the draw keeps me sane. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

osage outlaw

I picked up this 5x8 tilt trailer for $50.  It came with a big ratchet strap and a good length of chain with hooks.  The deck boards, tires, and receiver need replaced.  It should be an easy fix.

A few weeks back I saved these two pieces from going in a dumpster.  I replaced the carburetor on the quad and got both running yesterday.  

I grabbed this set of leaf springs from the dumpster also.  I've been looking for some good forging steel.  There's plenty here to keep me busy for a while.  I was told they came off of an old flat bed truck.

starmac

Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

Great day today... 5 Pony clamps 2 at six feel long and 3 at at 24" long. 
Coffee can of 3" screws, 20 new 20 amp receptacles, 20 new rafter hanging brackets, Hand full of tools, 
Two hand planes, extension cord, jumper cable, electric box covers and peg board hooks.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Another good day... Something I needed... I had to replace the cord. One caster is broken and one handle is broken. E-bay sells the parts...   american 7" spinner floor sander. It had a new sanding disc on it. Works great.

</br></br>
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

that looks like an excellent candidate for the bandmill router.

TKehl

Sweet!  I picked one up in similar condition at an auction last fall.  I guess noone knew what it was.  Paid $7.50 for the whole lot it was in.  They go for $2-300 regularly.  I bought it to use it as intended though.   ;D  Just need to get my moulder running...    :-\
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

mike_belben

Oh this thread is gonna be a problem for me.  I can fill a semi with equipment from the scrapyard.  
Praise The Lord

Kbeitz

Quote from: mike_belben on March 23, 2018, 03:30:27 PM
Oh this thread is gonna be a problem for me.  I can fill a semi with equipment from the scrapyard.  
Post away.... Pictures pictures...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

luvmexfood

Times are a changing. What us older folks call a junkyard are now called take off auto parts places. I graduated HS in 1979. Couple of days right at the end we had to show up at school with nothing to do.
 So some off us guys got the idea we wanted to go to the local junkyard and try and find some parts for one of the guys car. We went down and talked to the assistant principal and told him out plans and could we get a pass to go out. Now he was an older feller with probably 30 years under his belt. He laughed and said in all his time he had heard a lot of excuses but never a bunch of high school students asking to leave to go to the junk yard.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Kbeitz

Today I got 30+ looks like new extension cords. Around 8-10 feet long. They was with two LARGE trash bags of Christmas tree lights. I only took the cords.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

petefrom bearswamp

When do you suppose the producers 0f the "reality" shows about hoarders will come a knockin at your door?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

TKehl

Naw, I'm waiting to see you on American Pickers.  Your their kind of guy except for the part where you won't sell stuff.   :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kbeitz

Funny...  About two years ago I talked to Frank on the phone. He said when he gets to this part of Pa. he would look me up... No kidden....
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

Frank will try to make a bundle deal for your phone cords, watch out. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

I got to try out the floor sander today. I had to replace the cord a broken handle and two casters. I had a hard time finding casters that would work, I sanded the bottom of a slab bench thinking I would get sanding swirls from the sanding disc but to my surprise I did not.  This is what I'm using for the casters. I'm very happy with this unit.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

I picked up 21 more 150" band blades yesterday. I wont be buying new blades for a while. This set really looks good. I got a few one inch and a few two inch to try out. I found out that 21 bands really got some weight to them.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ford_man

I deliver product to the big box stores every day. Where I unload at their scrap hopper is close by. I just have to look in it to see what they throw away. Yesterday the hopper had 12 new in the box overhead garage doors and lots more new items. Those items CANNOT be bought.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ford_man on April 14, 2018, 10:04:03 AM
I deliver product to the big box stores every day. Where I unload at their scrap hopper is close by. I just have to look in it to see what they throw away. Yesterday the hopper had 12 new in the box overhead garage doors and lots more new items. Those items CANNOT be bought.
Most places are like that. The company was reimbursed by the insurance co. Item are to be junked. Then they end up in the junkyard where I find them. 
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dave hummell

I worked in a trash transfer station for a few years and it amazed me the stuff that was tossed out tree stands and compound bows for my friends fishing tackle box's of fishing stuff found some really cool fishing poles, electric tools the stuff was endless

Papa1stuff

K ,you must of got some more goodies by now , we are all waiting to see them ;D 8) 8)
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Thank You Sponsors!