iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved: Red, Black, Pin oak

Started by Gordon, October 21, 2001, 05:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

here are a few leaves. Yes they are easy. So start guessin.

Gordon

Jeff

3 kinds of oak.   Yeeesssss!!!!!! I got it 8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

Boy, mine at home must be real easy then!
Is it scarlet, post and pin?

Gordon

Yup Jeff they all are oaks, but what flavor of oaks?

Don your correct the one on the far right is a pin oak.

All three of these trees drop their acorns to the ground in fall but they don't germinate until spring. Also this group of oaks all have pointed lobes.

Gordon

Bill Johnson

I'll suggest White, Burr and Pin
Bill

Tom

Scarlet, Post and Pin oaks????

swampwhiteoak

Shumard, blackjack, pin

Tom

We must be reading the same book Don. :D :D

Mine has pictures or I'de be lost. ;D

Don P

You got pictures!..I was makin it up as I went along.

Gordon's hint about all being pointy threw out post oak cause it has a blocky leaf in my memory. He's nicer than my old teachers were...where else do you get positive feedback for a score of 33  ;D

Gordon

Ok guys the pot is starting to simmer now. Yes the center is Black oak, not a good picture but that is what it is and the right is Pin. So now all we have is the one on the far left to narrow down.

Leaf id on the net is much harder than in real life. Something about the three D affect I guess.

Far left in pic ?
Middle---------Black
Right side---- Northern Pin

Gordon

swampwhiteoak

Gordon

Ok here is the question. Is the leaf on the left a Northern red oak or a Shumard oak ???? I believe that it's a northern red as do a couple of other people that are pretty good at the leaf id.
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/qrubra.htm

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/qshumardii.htm

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/q/querub/querub1.html
So we have
left -------- unsure----Believed to be a northern Red
Middle---- Black
Right  -----Pin

please help
Gordon

Jeff

Does the leaf really look like the picture? What I mean is, does the perspective we have really show us the true shape and attributes of the leaf?  Go get a brown one and scan it if you can, or if you can find one.

Ours will be all gone, they are calling for a wind storm lasting from midnignt tonight until into Sat. with wind speeds as high as 65 MPH! Hope I don't get blown off line!

Gordon

Don't have a scanner but will go look for a leaf tomorrow if I get home in time. I'm still saying it's the northern red.

Any thoughts
Gordon

swampwhiteoak

Tree ID on the net is much harder than real life.  Gordon, I see you are from Delaware.  Delaware is out of Shumard oak's range.  
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/Volume_2/quercus/shumardii.htm
So it must be a northern red.  Oaks leaves vary a lot, so it is a lot easier in person when you can see the whole tree.

Anyone who's interested this is shumard oak:
http://www.fw.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/qshumardii.htm
This is N. Red oak
http://www.fw.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/qrubra.htm

Tom

Gordon,

I think you may be right.  It appears to be Northern Red Oak.
In a quandary about how to determine its species from the photograph provided I resorted to a little known but highly technical procedure devised by Professor Emeritus Kadenhedinski at the University of Georgia Agricultural College in the early 1960's.  By manipulating the images formed by the aura given off by the sugars in a broadleaf which is in the process of dying either by damage or season, a positive record of identification can sometimes be formed on a plate likened to a microphotograph which will clarify to one in ten million the species of the leaf.  Fortunately this procedure has worked on this specimen, a work of art I must say because the chances of a positive result are so rare that the procedure has almost been lost to antiquity.  I am one of few who possess the knowledge to perform this test and may never be able to reproduce it again.  It is very strenuous and has led to the resignation of many college students who have attempted it over the years.

Tom Cadenhead BS

swampwhiteoak

Tom, you clearly have too much time on your hands :D

Tom

Can't be too much question about it, Swamp.

It has Northern written all over it.  ;D

Don P

OK, I'm pretty sure its not a cypress. Boy if that's a northern its alot different from those in my yard.All the leaf samples on the suggested ID sites seem to show a progression from one leaf into the other though. What throws me is the depth of the gullets in the leaf compared to mine at home.Oh, I just went back and looked, a gullet is properly a sinus...I think I got a sinus problem ;D Seems like if you could look at other characteristics like bark and nut, if you happen upon them Gordon.  On the VTech site the bark and nut appear quite different.

I'm starting to like Jeff's first answer. :D

CHARLIE

Jeff thinks the left leaf is the leaf of a milkweed....::) ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Northern pin oak. Pretty sure.

Gordon

Well guys I'm sticking with my guns on this one, it's the northern red oak. Sure does have the almost exact shape of the northern pin oak. But the difference being in the veins of the leaf.

The leaf was not the best choice by far to post. I had second thoughts at first about the quality of the leaves. This has more than reinforced it. Next time I post in this section there will be a much better choice in the picture. But this is what we are stuck with for the time being.

Hope fully the new larger pic will show that allthough it's almost a perfect shape match for a couple of other oak trees, its not them.

Here is another shot of it (northern red oak)

Here is a thumbnail of the northern pin oak

Thanks for all the help on this one
Gordon

Don P

Nonsense ;D
Lets' see, from my end I learned how to use a couple of online guides and that leaves have sinuses...hmmm wonder if theirs are full of sawdust too? Sure makes me glad I just have to spec red or white on the floor.
Most of the time at the end of a trip I realize it ain't the destination, its the journey.

Gordon

Shoooo weeeeee what a ride this has been. I should have went with Jeffs answer in the begining. ;D

But that would have taken all of the fun out of this thread then wouldn't it?

Gordon

Gordon

Ok now that I"ve got a camera and can edit the pictures at my disposal, come spring you might just get a couple of entries of Delaware trees.

Nice simple ones. :D :D

Gordon

Thank You Sponsors!