iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The metric system of measurements

Started by TW, May 25, 2007, 01:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Is a tonne a metric ton? If so, it is 2204.46 pounds, or 1,000kilos.
I've been dreaming in long hundredwieghts lately, is that bad?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

Holy Smokes!  They not only make the numbers bigger, they add letters to the words. :-\     :D

TexasTimbers

I just looked up "ton" in wikipedia and there was a gross ton which I always thought was 13.88888 (2000 divided by 144). Learned something new.
Learned something else too. I saw where asy wanted to get all fancy on us and add letters to her tons to cause I saw a definition for and "assay ton".
Asy you need to stick to your little three letter ton or else we'll think you are trying to be a show off. Those 5 letter "tonne" things don't make no sense over here.
Don't tell me you are from somewhere where they use a 5 letter ton or else why would you call yourself little old 3-letter "asy" to begin with!
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

DanG

Well, this was a good, informative thread, in its early stages, but since it has gone all to heck anyway, I'll ask about something that I've wondered about for a long time.  Who came up with "lb" as an abbreviation for "pound", anyway?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don_Papenburg

I did , because I don't know how to spell pound ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Tom

It was my fault :-[

The Latin word libra means "scales, balances".  That's where Lb came from .

There was also an Ancient Roman measurement of mass called a Libra

Another measure of Mass, in England, called the Libra mercatoria, or merchants pound, went out of use in the 1400's.

I guess Lb has been associated with measurement of mass for a long time .  (Wikipedia)

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I think that long ton is what you'd want to buy if you were trying to make sure you bought enough potatoes to feed everybody at the annual family reunion...

TexasTimbers

Sorry DanG. I don't know when to quit sometimes.  :-X

DanG

You gonna get that prescription filled today, Kev? ::) :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

TexasTimbers

If I can remember where I put my refill order. :)

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all ain't lived, until you have to convert to Pulgadas and Varas (Va Dahs).

Then, ya get into Meters and m3, all in the same whack of lumber.  ::) ::)

Makes a fella want to drink.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
  Anybody got a Pina Fresco ???   8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

TW

In media there have emerged some new units :o ::):

-Elephantweight. Every time when the jornalists try to explain a big weight they convert it to number of adult elephants. I guess this is something this happened since they outsurced the journalist education to the lowest bidder....in Mombasa, Kenya. There are no elephants in this country! We have never seen any elephants here since the mammoths died out.  And those journalists claim to know what is happening right now on the other side of the planet, while they have not noticed the end of the ice age at home. And, a mammoth was bigger than an elephand so they shoud at least supply a converion chart to mammothweight.

-Footballfieldarea:
How on earth does the journalist think that everybody knows the size of the footballfield in his home village exactly today. Normally goals are moved closer or further from each other depending on the actual size of the teams ans the height of the grass.

Even kilowombatweights and wombatfeedarea (area needed to grow fodder for a wombat) would be better....

Seriously:
Do they really think we are too stupid to understand metric ton or hectar? We ware actually(or should be) thinking human beings.

WDH

Foresters always refer to forestry things in units of area, like MBF/acre, or Cords/acre, or Basal Area/acre.  I was in Sweden a couple of years ago (TW, wish I could have visited Finland, too), and a Swedish forester told me that the difference between Sweden and the US was that in Sweden, there were fewer crazy people per hectare ;D.  After reading about wombatfeedarea units, I am inclined to agree smiley_mad_crazy.  This statement is not aimed at any one particular person in Texas (it is aimed at all persons in Texas smiley_thumbsup_grin).  Just kidding.............There are several nice people in Texas :).  The food ain't bad, either food1.  I guess Texas Wombatfeedarea units might work after all ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thurlow

I ain't got nuthin against Texas or Texicans, neither, except....................between us, my wife and I been driving about 98 years; both were on the road at 13 or 14.  Only ever got one traffic ticket between us.  In 1990, we took an extensive vacation.........Texas, NM, C0, WY, SD, UT, etc, plus the states 'twixt here and there.  We had been to Fort Davis and were headed towards El Paso on a 2-lane blacktop.  Wife was driving and following a tractor-trailer for about 10 miles.  He was making about 45 mph and she finally found a place to pass.  This was just out of Van Horn; state highway traffic enforcement officer (would be Highway Patrol in TN, don't remember what he was) immediately pulled her over.  Reminded me very much of Barney Fife, except he didn't have Barney's upper body muscular development  :D.  He was purty!  Gave her a ticket for 38 bucks;  she was so upset that she refused to drive; I had to get behind the wheel.  Ever since we'd gotten into Texas from Arkansas, we'd seen signs saying, "Don't Mess With Texas".  Didn't know what they meant, but we figured it out just South of Van Horn.  ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TexasTimbers

Quote from: thurlow on May 31, 2007, 04:58:15 PM
I ain't got nuthin against Texas or Texicans, neither, except....................
That's what everyone says right before they slam us, or asscoiate us with some negative experience that happened to them in our state. The cop was almost certainly born and reared in Lauderdale County, Tennessee. :D ;D

thurlow

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

WDH

You guys better take it easy, or you will get the Texas Ranger on your case boxingsmiley.

Thank You Sponsors!