iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidders.....sae or metric?

Started by gman98, July 22, 2016, 08:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys.  I'be been looking around at some different skidders lately and I have been wondering if nuts/bolts on most brands of skidders (Clark, John Deere, timberjack) are SAE or Metric?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

lopet

It's always handy to have two sets of sockets and wrenches kicking around  ;D

Normally North America is SAE and overseas or Japan is metric.  Having said that I have been working on Jeeps who had both. What a pain.
Think they were assembled in Mexico, but not 100% sure.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Spartan

the old stuff we run is SAE some of the 90's and late 90's stuff we run is both.  Not sure about newer than that.

Ed_K

Good to have both, sometimes SAE will get sloppy and a metric will fit on and be a little tighter.
Ed K

gman98

Alright thanks guys.  What are common sizes found on skidders?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

BargeMonkey

I keep wrenches from 1/4 - 2-1/4 in the truck to work on the forestry equipment. Most skidder stuff will be under 1-1/4 unless your into large hoses. My jack is a mixture of metric and standard, my deere is all standard. Invest in a set of crow foot wrenches both metric and standard for 1/2 driver, save you alot of time.

OH logger

my 2014 deere 548 is mostly all metric nuts and bolts. not sure on hoses I haven't blown any...yet ;)
john

Spartan

Quote from: OH logger on July 24, 2016, 07:32:01 AM
my 2014 deere 548 is mostly all metric nuts and bolts. not sure on hoses I haven't blown any...yet ;)

must be nice

motohed

I would think ,with these questions . you are in the market for a skidder possibly , if thats the case figure out which skidder you want and buy the tools you need . If you plan on doing al the work yourself , you will end up buying a large sorce of tools and may need some specialty tools to make life easier , sometime you have to make them , if they are not redily available  .

Maine372

i went skidder shopping once. one of the machines I looked at came with all the tools needed to work on it. owner told me exactly which wrenches you needed to get to what parts and they were all hung on the inside of the screen.

still wish Id bought that one ::)

Thank You Sponsors!