iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick Wooden Frame handset

Started by NMFP, October 06, 2011, 08:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMFP

Hello Everyone:

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could possibly find diagrams for installing an old Wooden Frame Handset Frick sawmill?  The only number I have from the mill is #9558 and it is a Frick Made in Waynesboro PA.

I had a homemade circular sawmill years ago and currently saw on a LT40SH but am interested in purchasing this mill if I can get some diagrams as to how things should be assembled.

The carriage is 20' with 3 headblocks along with a 52" headsaw, sawdustblower, slab saw and PTO hookup.

Thanks in advance for the help. 

NMFP

jason.weir

Frank C will come by and confirm this but my suggestion is to go look at an old handset circle mill - doesn't have to be a Frick they are all put together similarly..  Once you've seen a complete one up close - you'll be able to put one back together...  They are just not that complicated..

-J

NMFP

Thanks Jason.  I am a little concerned as to the proper specs because the mill was set up that it had a 4' deep pit under it where the blower and shafts were located.  I would prefer not to have them down that far due to moisture and so forth.

Thanks and greatly appreciate the help.

NMFP

Ron Wenrich

Then, put your mill up in the air.  We're running an automatic, but the concept is still the same as a handset.  We have ours in the air about 4'.  We've used iron for pillars, but our carriage is a log heavier.  Or split the difference by putting it in the air a couple of feet and having a 2' pit. 

The basics of the circle mill is to stabilize your track, and tie it into your husk.  When we were running on wood, we put 8x12s under the husk and ran them out past the tracks.  We then notched the 8x12s so the track laid in them and we put shims in to secure them.  Everything was tied together real well.  8x12s sat on top of a cinder block wall that was put on footers below frost line.  We ran ours with belts. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

NMFP,google Frick sawmills I have seen A diagram with dimentions on the web but I can't remember the site.As Jason says most of those old mills are simple and set up the same.You want a stable wood for the husk,they origanally used southern hard pine.Probibly the modern laminated beams would be perfect if you don't mind their looks.If you have any of the wood left it helps to get measurements off it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

NMFP

Thanks Everyone for the help.  I know prices fluxuate across the country but do any of you know what a mill like this should cost considering that I would need to remove it from where its installed?  Its a 20' carriage, 52" blade, wooden husk, dust blower, line shaft with cutoff saw and PTO hookup.  I have found similar setups online but nothing real similar close to me but I do know, the mill hasnt been run much more than about 20 hours in the last 15 years.  Any thoughts on a fair price?  I am thinking low considering I must remove it and build a new framework for it at my place.

Thanks and I greatly appreciate the help.  At work, I saw with an Edminston hydraulic mill that is automatic which is nice but I want my own circle mill again.

Ron Wenrich

I would imagine a couple of grand would buy it.  There isn't a whole lot of demand for these except for the Amish.  Some of them have gone over to bandmills. 

bandmiller2

Band and swingmills have knocked the legs out from under old circular mills theirs just not a demand for them anymore.I paid 500.00 for a complete mill several years ago.almost always you have to dissmantle and move the mill.Take many pictures and measurements before you pull it apart,you will have many questions as you assemble it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

NMFP

Thanks Guys.  Where can I get new belts and so on?  It is all flat belt design.  I am going to offer them what i think its worth and go from there.  I am sure everyone has a differnet thought on value but like Frank said, I will need to dismantle and move it so that is additional expense.

Thanks guys, greatly appreciate it.

Ron Wenrich

We always bought our flat belts at a farm supply store. 

Dave_

Munnell and Sherrill has a branch store here that sells mill supplies.  You can contact them to order any size belt you want:

http://www.munnell-sherrill.com/pages/product_pages/belting.html

NMFP

Thanks Dave.  Its almost impossible these days to get some products without the use of the internet!!

captain_crunch

They may have a wider kerf but will bet they will not cut more lumber 15 seconds fer an old American to go thru 18 in log 16 ft long my Belsaw has slower feed but 25 seconds is average
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

NMFP

I am looking at the fact of sawing spruce, hickory and some other things that are harder to cut with a band mill.  I will definatelly keep my band mill because of my investment and for saing species where I want a better yield. 
I havnent been able to find many belsaw's in my area. (Central PA)  Must have been a hard sale especially when there were so many old Fricks & Farquhar mills around.

Thank You Sponsors!