iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many Acres?

Started by Magicman, January 05, 2015, 09:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This is no good for a survey, but it will give you a good general idea how many acres are in a tract.  Acres?

I like the satellite view.  Click on the corners to create map pins and look at the lower portion of the map to see the acres, etc. contained within the pins.  You can delete the last point or all of the points to modify your map.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

thanks!  I always wondered if something like this was available..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

MM,

I wonder if we will keep using acres for land measurement. Its a pretty arcane form measurement of measurement. Most of the world uses hectares I'd guess. A hectare is 100 meters X 100 meters. A hectare contains about 2.47 acres if I remember correctly. Of course unless you live in the middle of the country hardly anything is ever square or straight anyway. My landlines follow a creek then up a ridge turn along a bench then down along a holler as they follow the terrain. Same with state lines defined by rivers or mountain ridges on the east coast. I'd guess this application could just as easily compute hectares as acres if programmed to do so. Happy New Year.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WH_Conley

I have been using it for years. When plotting against a surveyed piece of ground I was surprised at the accuracy.
Bill

John Mc

Wish I could import a boundary I have already drawn in Google maps. The corners on a lot of parcels I'm interested in can't be picked out by eye.

I heard the paid version of Google Maps will calculate areas as well... I just haven't needed that feature badly enough to buy a subscription.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Magicman

@WV Sawmiller, look and you will see that in addition to acres, it also has hectares.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Plotted 4 sample points and see it does show meters, hectares, acres and miles. Still wonder why we use acres in USA for land measurement. Oh well, there are stranger things we do. Thx.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandhills

Thanks Magic, always wondered how close I was guessing when reporting my acres of alfalfa to the USDA  :D.  Turns out I wasn't far off!

red oaks lumber

the usda acres alot of times don't match the actual acres. ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

As far as doing TSI work with a chain saw,, I agree, it seems like the acreage covered is more than the plotted acreage amount ;D Hills and terrain make for a large plot to cover.  I've heard it said many times, " that's a big 80"
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

QuoteStill wonder why we use acres in USA for land measurement.

For measurement, we still use miles, and feet, and inches, and quarts, and cups.  ;D  and any attempts to change that over the last 50-60 years has not been successful or changed much (other than needing two sets of wrenches to handle the metric nuts and bolts ).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wick

Cool, Thanks Magic. It is pretty accurate.
My only issue with Acres is that I don't own enough  :D
Timber Harvester 30HT25

WV Sawmiller

Wick,

An old man who was a pseudo grandfather to me when I was a kid and young man used to say "I don't want all the land in the world - just what adjoins mine."
Howard Green

Chuck White

That is a really neat map program you've found, Lynn.

Thanks for posting!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ScottAR

It's a great program. I use it often when shopping property.  Can plot a few lines on landmarks to get an idea of "the lay of the land" sort to speak.  It's easier to interpret than a section map as all the real time landmarks are on the screen. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

WDH

If it is ACME, I bet Wile E. Coyote uses it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Black_Bear

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 05, 2015, 10:48:03 AM
MM,

Still wonder why we use acres in USA for land measurement.

Land in the U.S. was originally divided using chains (66') and rods (16.5') as measuring units. The PLSS does use the grid pattern for layout, commonly using a square mile (640 acres) as one section of a township. There are 80 chains in a side of a square mile and 10 square chains in an acre. It's an old system and the feet, rods, chains and acres relationship works together. I'm not saying it's the best system, but am trying to shed some light as to why we use acres today. Even the Colonial States typically used some type of original lotting plan that generally cut the original lots into areas that were conveniently divided into miles, chains, rods, acres and feet.   

reswire

Quote from: Magicman on January 05, 2015, 09:13:00 AM
This is no good for a survey, but it will give you a good general idea how many acres are in a tract.  Acres?

I like the satellite view.  Click on the corners to create map pins and look at the lower portion of the map to see the acres, etc. contained within the pins.  You can delete the last point or all of the points to modify your map.

Thanks, Magic.  That's a cool website, really helpful.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

mesquite buckeye

I got an app for my phone called Measure your land that works pretty well. I use it for mapping management areas on the farm and at the saguaro hill. I think it was like $10 for the upgraded edition.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

I see Google Earth Pro is now free. You can measure area and length and bring in GPS tracks. It's still pretty basic GIS as far as I can see. The one thing that is nice is kml files which both versions use of course. But you can generate a kml or kmz file and send it off to someone on Baffin Island as long as they have internet, who can then open it and see where it is in the time it takes to load. And of course have pretty current aerial imagery. And the Pro version seems to be in 3D as I scroll from my woodlot (attachment below) and to the left to Mars Hill where there is a ski hill and wind mills.

I have a couple GIS programs, one is specific to GPS devices, ExpertGPS and the other a more commercial product, Maptitude 2016. Both use a Google Earth extension and can export files to it to view. So I'm thinking most GIS have this by now.

A direct link to the full install program is here:

https://support.google.com/earth/answer/168344?hl=en&topic=2376075&ctx=topic

And to login this page has a note (upper right side on web page) on how to login for free:

https://www.google.com/earth/download/gep/agree.html
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!