iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Green Egg

Started by Magicman, July 15, 2010, 03:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Norm,  I've done searches and found where Patty gave you a BGE for Christmas, and after procrastinating on assembling it, you refer to using it quite frequently.   :)

How about a documentary on it's uses, heat regulation, likes/dislikes.  I'm looking/thinking.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Well I'm not Norm but I drove by a Holiday Inn Express yesterday.

The BGE is one of my go to pieces of cooking equiptment. Hard to beat a steak seered on one, or ribs slow cooked.
Pretty easy to operate. You can control the temp by draft adjustment from real low to Rocketship temps.
It will take the place of a smoker if desired. [I prefer my cookshack smoker].

I bought mine off Craigs list. $150.00
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Burlkraft

I have had one for about 5 years now.

I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I make pizza, smoke brisket, bake pies and anything else you can think of. It works great for anything.

When ya get good at usin' it you can load it in the mornin' and get it to what ever temp ya want and it will stay there all day. I can start it load it and come back 8 hours later and it's still at that temp.

It's like having a Big Green Slow Cooker.

I would not hesitate to buy one again.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Raider Bill

I truck mine between Florida and Tenn. That's how much I like it.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Norm

MM I'm with those guys in that it's one of my favorite cookers. You can't beat it for ribs, brisket, pork butt and pizza. I still use my weber kettle for hot and fast as I have the XL and it uses quite a bit of charcoal to justify a couple of burgers but it does those just as well.

I would buy the large for day and day uses if I was you. It can still put out a ton of Q but uses less lump than mine. I can fill mine with lump and cook a brisket for 10 hours with no trouble. Once you learn the draft it will hold 250° for that long. One of my early lessons was just quit messing with it and it'd hold temp great.

They are pricey but check craigs list for used ones as they are so heavy folks have a hard time selling because of shipping troubles.

Raider Bill

What Norm said.........
I put a want ad on craigs list for mine. Someones ex wife wanted it gone.

Never done pizza hmmmm  Brisket I do in the cookshack.

Personally they are worth it just to do steaks.

stumpy

I have a BGE clone.  It's a Grilldome.  I compared the Grilldome to the BGE and found the specs are virtualy the same with some slight differences.  I then searched the web for comparisons and found no comments stating that one was better than the other.  What it boiled down to was, the only dealer near me, wanted $200 more for the BGE.  My decision was easy.  As far as how I like it ???  I love it.  I'm still learning, but like everyone has said, it'll cook anything 8)
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Dean186

Another vote here for the Big Green Egg.  We've owned it for 5 years now and I always enjoy cooking with it.  I built a custom table for it with large rollers.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Dean186 on August 04, 2010, 11:59:44 AM
I built a custom table for it with large rollers.

I've been meaning to do that the whole time I've had mine   ::)  ::)  ::)

Udder things just come first
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!