iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade longevity

Started by alanh, December 16, 2019, 12:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanh

Has anybody ever noticed more life out of one batch of new blades over another? I realize all the variables in dulling a blade but previously I was frustrated at how little bd ft I was getting out of a woodmizer 4 degree blade cutting pine, especially reading what some of the pros on here get. they would either be dull quick or start to rise/dive.
 I recently recieved a new box of 4 degree blades. I`m cutting from the same pile of logs, all the same age, bark is off, from the same stand of trees and I seem to be getting 3 times the footage than the previous batch. I then used the same blade to cant up a very dirty oak log and was still getting a decent cut. It seems like they might be harder steel or something, not complaining, just wondering.

Beavertooth

The first box of blades I ever bought in 2005 every blade out of the box would immediately dive instead of cutting straight. I checked them with my setter and every blade in the box had nearly twice as much set on one side of teeth as the other side.  Woodmizer sent me a new box. So at the time it was possible to get a bad box of blades with whatever the problem may be. But I know that after that at sometime they stopped putting all the blades from same run when making blades in the same new boxes in case there was a problem of some sort the customer would not have a whole box that was bad and not be able to saw at all before getting more. In other words a new box of blades would be made up of blades from different runs of blades.  Anthing is possible.  Nothing perfect in this world. But again another example how Woodmizer is always willing to make right any thing that goes wrong if it is there mistake.   
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Bruno of NH

I got a box from Cooks once couldn't get them to cut for me.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

tylerltr450

Blade can remain sharp for a number of reasons, however biggest issue most people have is when they receive their sharpened blades from the UPS man. Shipping is rough on blades and that can take the set right out of new and sharpened blades or even dull them if rubbing together, that is why it is critical to package blades properly. 

But then there is other issues like blade batches and sometimes steel hardness varies from batch to batch.  If you are noticing one blade is lasting longer than another check to see how sharp they are when you get them back first.
Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

Banjo picker

I am not getting the longevity out of the thicker blades (.050) as I did running the thinner blades (.042).  I can cut faster, but when you work by yourself longevity is more important than speed, at least to me.  Not just one box either.  I am into the second box an it seems about the same as the first. Going back to the thinner blades.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Woodpecker52

Banjo I tried the 1.5 thick 4 degrees and they are a mess.  I went back to 1.25 and thin and no problems. I did increase the set by a bunch, makes a world of difference.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Bruno of NH

I can only use .42 in small logs on my mill.
They don't stay flat in the wide cuts my Mill can make.
I will still buy some Ripper 37's in 7° as they cost $12 less per band as the WM 747 that I like.
I will just use them for logs under 16". They cut nice and save money.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

Quote from: Woodpecker52 on December 18, 2019, 04:57:35 PMBanjo I tried the 1.5 thick 4 degrees and they are a mess

If you are running a stock engine I don't think you have enough HP to pull a 1.5" wide band, that may have contributed to the problem. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!