iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st Log Truck Build

Started by Nick585, July 25, 2019, 11:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick585

I'm looking to build a log truck.  I have the truck I'm in search of a knuckle boom self loader to mount on the truck.  Good places to find used equipment like this?

Truck:  1980 Ford L9000, 8.3 Cummins 500hp, 13 speed road ranger transmission, 20k front 40k rear, double frame, 16' from back of cab to rear.

I am primarily a tree service.  I am also a hobby logger and amateur sawyer.  I am looking to pick 5000 lb minimum.  

Good places to search for used self loaders and knuckle booms that are not already mounted to a truck?  I am located in Rochester NY.  I welcome any advice as this is my first build.  

sawguy21

Used pickers are dicey unless you are buying from a reputable equipment dealer. Here at least mandatory inspections are quite stringent. Have you checked heavy equipment auctions?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

charles mann

using as an example only, i did a search on knuckle boom cranes, and other than ebay, this is what popped up. is this what you are talking bout, or something similar to a prentice loader?

https://www.cranetrader.com/listing/auction-results/31531419/2000-palfinger-pk23080c-mounted-on-2001-freightliner-fld120-mounted-knuckle-boom-cranes

i have NO affiliation with the above site, again, just a google search. i wasnt able to find many used knuckle booms, if this is the similar style you are referring to. 

also, how fast are you wanting to mover forward with this build? the company i work for uses a much smaller version of the above linked item for some of our acft support trucks, which are sterlings, but due to the nature of sterling, we are getting away from them and going to the ram 4500, but i think we have a couple knuckle booms that were pull offs. it wont be till late this yr, somewhere between mid oct, to dec 31, depending when we get released off of fire contract. i can ask and see if they would be interested in selling a knuckle, if yo could wait that long. 

But are dead set on just a knuckle boom? would a regular boom crane off of a boom truck work? what about those military 5tn wreckers that have a crane on it? that WILL be my next "logging" rig, 6 wheel drive with a 7tn crane mounted on it, and pull a 20' 30,000 pintle hitch equip trailer
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

snowstorm

its pretty unlikely that a 8.3 is 500 hp a n14 back in 1980 wasnt that much. as far as used loaders try west mount in farmington me. the problem with finding a used one is most get stuffed in a container and shipped to south america. it seems there is a big market for them down there.    i like the old fords had several. a 20k front with 40 rear seems a bit odd usually they had 44 rears if they were heavy spec. hendrickson spring and walking beams?? your going to need a pto something around 120% and a way of making that motor idle at 1200 rpm. on newer engines just set the cruise control

Autocar

Pretty short frame to mount a loader on  ;)
Bill

Brad_bb

I'm no professional when it comes to log trucks.  I have hired a log truck though.  They had a Prentice grapple loader on the back. The truck had a steel box that they loaded in.  The drive told me that the weight of the steel box really took away from hauling capacity, but it was still a really big truck.  They used the loader on the back to pull up to the semi log truck and load it.  I would think buying a used grapple loader like this would be a sketchy plan because they really get used and abused.  New would be ideal.  I don't know if you could even find one in barely used condition?  If you do buy a well used one, plan to have to work on it alot.  And being down when you really need it is very costly.  Probably more costly in jobs lost than if you had bought a new one.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Nick585

Quote from: snowstorm on July 25, 2019, 04:47:12 PM
its pretty unlikely that a 8.3 is 500 hp a n14 back in 1980 wasnt that much. as far as used loaders try west mount in farmington me. the problem with finding a used one is most get stuffed in a container and shipped to south america. it seems there is a big market for them down there.    i like the old fords had several. a 20k front with 40 rear seems a bit odd usually they had 44 rears if they were heavy spec. hendrickson spring and walking beams?? your going to need a pto something around 120% and a way of making that motor idle at 1200 rpm. on newer engines just set the cruise control

Those are the specs from the guy I bought it from. Maybe he lied but I don't think so.  I haven't taken it in to my diesel mechanic yet but I am curious to see what he says.   The engine sounds very clean.  For $6500 I couldn't pass it up. 

Nick585

Quote from: charles mann on July 25, 2019, 12:12:24 PM
using as an example only, i did a search on knuckle boom cranes, and other than ebay, this is what popped up. is this what you are talking bout, or something similar to a prentice loader?

https://www.cranetrader.com/listing/auction-results/31531419/2000-palfinger-pk23080c-mounted-on-2001-freightliner-fld120-mounted-knuckle-boom-cranes

i have NO affiliation with the above site, again, just a google search. i wasnt able to find many used knuckle booms, if this is the similar style you are referring to.

also, how fast are you wanting to mover forward with this build? the company i work for uses a much smaller version of the above linked item for some of our acft support trucks, which are sterlings, but due to the nature of sterling, we are getting away from them and going to the ram 4500, but i think we have a couple knuckle booms that were pull offs. it wont be till late this yr, somewhere between mid oct, to dec 31, depending when we get released off of fire contract. i can ask and see if they would be interested in selling a knuckle, if yo could wait that long.

But are dead set on just a knuckle boom? would a regular boom crane off of a boom truck work? what about those military 5tn wreckers that have a crane on it? that WILL be my next "logging" rig, 6 wheel drive with a 7tn crane mounted on it, and pull a 20' 30,000 pintle hitch equip trailer
I'm interested in a rear mounted prentice style knuckle boom for the extra reach.  I plan to also tow a pintle hitch trailer with my mini skid. This is what I am have in mind.

Nick585

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 25, 2019, 11:43:32 AM
Used pickers are dicey unless you are buying from a reputable equipment dealer. Here at least mandatory inspections are quite stringent. Have you checked heavy equipment auctions?

In a perfect world I could buy a used knuckle boom and grapple from somewhere that will also install it.  I would certainly like to buy from a reputable dealer.  This is what I'm trying to build.  A prentice style rear mounted loader with a grapple.  

moodnacreek

If I ever bought another old picker I would dismantle it where I got it and rebuild the A frame, mount it on the truck, then the main boom, stick and last the grapple. Also I would have the tools and parts to do hoses of name brand. A rear mounted picker is a beautiful thing to have. If the loader will not dead lift your biggest logs, construct your 'body' so they can be dragged on first. Log loaders will pull much more than they will lift. Do not ignore cracks. They must be drilled, welded, stress relieved, reinforced and inspected from then on.

snowstorm

Quote from: Autocar on July 25, 2019, 06:01:13 PM
Pretty short frame to mount a loader on  ;)
back then 222" wheel base was the longest thing ford offered. except when the ltl came out at 246"

Crusarius

Definitely look forward to seeing this build. Love to stop by and see it for real. I live in Canadice.

jmouton

hey nick585   i might have something for you ,,,,  its cheap , but i am in mich ,,,,pm  me with your number and ill call you  
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

barbender

I don't think Cummins even made an 8.3 in 1980. Even if they did, they were never 500hp, if they were they'd come apart the first time you mashed the throttle with a load on. Kind of irrelevant in a sense, but at the same time you want accurate specs before you get a loader, it has to be sized to the truck. I would think in the Northeast there has to be some equipment dealers that have used loaders on hand. I see quite a few on CL around here, some decent and some real garbage.
Too many irons in the fire

Nick585

@barbender i gave the previous owner a call today.  He swapped out the stock CAT engine for an 8.3L Cummins.  14613 13 speed road ranger transmission.  

barbender

Ok, I think that 8.3 will be around 250 horse, maybe 300 max? I'm not real familiar with that engine. I've never drove anything that was powered by one, I've seen a few in tandem dump trucks but I suspect they were underpowered in that application. It's asking a lot out of 8.3 liters.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!