iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

circle saw foundation

Started by SCSawyer, April 22, 2016, 11:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCSawyer

What are you circle mill guys using under your mill for foundations ? Pics would be great, thanks !
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

Ron Wenrich

What kind of mill are you talking about?  If you are putting in a concrete pad, that is different than running of a dirt.  On a pad, you need to put some sort of support under the foundation that won't move.  On the last automatic I worked on, we put I beam into the pad, and welded I beam supports for the mill. 

If going on dirt, you should run pillars to below frost line to prevent frost heave.  I've seen concrete pillars, wood pillars and cinder block pillars.  The most important area is your husk.  I've also heard of guys putting their mill on an old flatbed trailer.  You need the best support under there, as there can be no movement. 

What is your idea for a foundation?

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Gearbox

If you are running flat belt drive you need a strong base under the husk , vee belts a little less and pto less yet .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Remle

Not sure what saw you have, the M 14 Bellsaw has examples of foundations, on pg.4 , although they show concrete, wood poles sunk in the ground also work well, http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/86/1050.pdf .

SCSawyer

Bought a new to me mill today looks to be a #1 Frick, the darndest set up mill I ever seen, mounted to a bus frame so its portable 12ft 4 block carriage, 56" saw carriage is in superb shape everything is steel, but the power unit there's the kicker its a ford small ford pickup in line 6 frame cut down rear end has 1 axle cut off the other tire sits against the flat belt pully it is mounted over and to the side of the husk, I'll post picks when its moved, I've never seen such a rig, saws great everything is in great shape, I'm guessing I'll put the frame down on 8" post as the ffoundation.
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

Thank You Sponsors!