Stihl MS341
Stihl MS660
Stihl TS550
Jonsered 2045 Turbo
Ford 8N 1952
Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 2007 (with
Cummins of course)

beenthere

It has been discussed here before. I'll try a search, but you can do that too.

Do you think it would be worth the $$$$ ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bodomram07

Quote from: beenthere on August 10, 2012, 11:01:52 AM
It has been discussed here before. I'll try a search, but you can do that too.

Do you think it would be worth the $$$$ ??

I only found one post about that and it's in September 2011 so I was thinking to redo a post again

To me it worth the money but that's my own opinion :) I want to avoid electric tool because that remove too much material on the chain
Stihl MS341
Stihl MS660
Stihl TS550
Jonsered 2045 Turbo
Ford 8N 1952
Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 2007 (with
Cummins of course)

lumberjack48

This is a good tool, but to slow for me, lots on yt about it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

DDobbs

Does one guide fit all the cutters? Do you have to buy a guide for each cutter/file size?

I think I will just keep my freehand file.I also have a Granberg style guide that is adjustable that works very well.
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

John Mc

It looks like one guide for each size of cutter you want to sharpen.  It looks interesting, but not $125 interesting. For $50 maybe I'd be tempted. 

I'm happy with the results I get from hand sharpening (and it didn't take "years to learn", contrary to what the Timberline Sharpener web site claims).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

cuterz

thecfarm

I saw a write up in Timberline Magazine,something to do with the sharpener. Probably OK,but I would have to learn how to use it. I just hand file now.
I have not seen this brand discussed on the forum. I must of missed it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

blackoak

That is a copy of the old Gamn chain sharpener made in the 1980's near Evansville Indiana. They do work well, but are kind of slow to use.

simonmeridew

I just got one this week. This appears to be a top quality tool, well designed and made. I've used it a couple of times, and man, does it yield a consistent sharpened  chain. I was always happy with my hand sharpening(i'm ambidexterous so I can get both sides the same) but this takes the cake. In the past if I 'rocked' a chain, I took it down to my Stihl dealer to machine sharpen. I think this tool does a better job, and no danger of heating the tooth and ruining the temper like you can get with a machine rotating stone wheel.
You're right--it was pricey, but it looks like a lifetime purchase.
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

karlk

I just got one and I agree with simonmeridew.
I think it works great.

nixon

+2 to what Simonmeridew said . It works as advertised . While its not near as fast ad a grinder, it does at least as good of a job , possibly better .
Stihl            044 ,ms 460
Husqvarna.   346xp ,550xp, 562xp
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

york

Well,i am going to order this thing-it looks ok,but you still have to hand file-ya could use this device to straighten up your chain,use it as a shop tool-thats how i see it..albert
Albert

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

simonmeridew

"no" to trapper, no raker intervention

"no" to york, unless you consider turning a crank, "hand filing"
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

york

nope sorry to simonmeridew,will order for a shop tool,but will always hand file when in the woods.....
albert
Albert

trapper

How long do the cutters last?  One cutter lasts as long as how many files?  Hope my question is clear.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

trapper

They have an add in lumbermans equipment digest.
$99 with promo code LED

xrockdawgx

If you have some nerve damage and it causes difficulties sharpening your chain equally by hand, the timberline sharpener is a good solution. It's not as fast as hand sharpening IMO, but it does a good job and keeps me from cutting sideways.

HolmenTree

I had a guy ask me last week about this sharpener. I have no experience with it but from what I can see it should ok seeing it's been on the market for over 30 years, originally as a Gam sharpener.
Those cutter bits are expensive $30 CDN, so I wonder how long they last versus a $2 file.

For the novice to use they may have difficulty keeping the cutter's side plate angle (hook) at the proper setting, from what little information I see on the YouTube videos.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

YellowHammer

I bought one a couple years ago and sharpened enough chains to know it.  I also have a buddy who has one and our experiences are similar.

It is best used on a new dull (not been sharpened by other means) chain, and must be used every time on that chain to keep it symmetric and each tooth same as the others.  The tolerances and clearances are very tight.  It can't hog material off, so it takes quite a few times around, taking a nibble at a time, to get the chain back into shape if it's been rocked, or not sharpened perfectly by hand, with the left and right side cutters the same, and all cutters the same.  Otherwise it misses the shorter teeth and doesn't sharpen them.  Once a chain has been "dressed" it is a simple matter to keep it in shape. 

It's slower than hand filing.

It will it a scalpel quality edge on the teeth, and I eventually dispensed with the hand crank and put the cutter in a vaiable speed drill. 

I don't use it much anymore.  Too slow and tedious for me,  but it will sharpen a chain razor sharp.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

rjwoelk

Got one used it one summer had 2 dozen chains so did them up and just changed out when dull.  But now i just sharpin on the bar and keep going. I can get it sharper by hand.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

AlaskaLes

We bought one last year and I've used it several times now.
It will sharpen to a more refined edge than any other method I've seen.
It is slower, but the chain seems to stay sharper longer, just because it starts out sharper in the beginning.
I have a very good skillset when it comes to hand sharpening and can put a quality edge on with a file.
This just made sense to me as it removes even more of the potential for human error and the simple math of a pile of dead files.
New file lasts me for a handful of sharpenings before it loses its edge.
Cost per file is around $0.50 per use.  I chuck them in the trash as soon as they stop cutting and start sliding.
Cost per carbide cutter is $20.00 and they are good for about 40 sharpenings.
Cost per sharpening is about $0.50 after you've bought the tool.
Camparisons with friends this Summer showed that my chains were sharper/longer than new or resharpened chains of theirs...everytime.
One of my buddies is anxious to try it out.  He's renowned as an excellent file guy and he was sold on the difference.
Me, I like it.  I think the right answer with this would be spare "timberlined" chains for a long day of cutting.  Sitting on a stump and tuning a chain wouldn't be difficult.
One thing I really like is that I don't have to work the arms filing during a break they desperately need.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

Thank You Sponsors!