iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Barn tour, and great room photos------nice great room.......

Started by Jim_Rogers, August 24, 2012, 08:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday, I traveled some 3 hours west of my place to the other end of my state.

On the way, about 2 hours west of me, I stopped by to see a friend and his sawmill.

He took me on a tour of a recent timber framed barn he and his son had just completed.

Here is a shot of the inside of the first floor:

Here is the stair way:

This father and son team has started a timber frame business.

And they have a great slogan on the door of their trucks:

It's a little hard to see at this size but it says "Standing Tree to Standing Timber"
And you see the tree and part of the frame in the logo.

They try, when they can, to harvest the parts for the frames from the client's land, and put them into their frames.

This barn had (4) 36' beams they harvested, milled and used in this barn.

Just off the barn is the great room.

Here is one shot of the fireplace:

Here is another:

Standing with my back to the fireplace you see this end of the "great" room:

It was truly a "great room" for sure.......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jim_Rogers

Half way up the fireplace you see a gap in the stone. There is going to be a huge slab of wood there that will be scribe fit to the stones. It is at the mill drying some before they bring it into the house.

I thought I took one more picture but it wasn't in my camera.

Another time when I'm back there, I'll get more pictures and update this story.

Jim Rogers

roger 4400

Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

dukndog

Thanks for sharing Jim!! I love the Cruck at the end of the great room! The rafters being left round add to the look also. One question, is the ceiling t&g white pine?

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

AdamT

Gorgeous!!! Keep the pictures coming! I can't wait til it's my turn to build my timberframe.

Is that cherry live edge by the dining table?
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: dukndog on August 25, 2012, 10:06:34 AM
One question, is the ceiling t&g white pine?

Yes, I believe it is, with 10" thick sips on the roof above it for insulation.

Quote from: AdamT on August 25, 2012, 11:05:48 AM
Is that cherry live edge by the dining table?

Yes, it was live edge and half lapped through the tie beam, so they are one continuous piece and they are book matched, which means they came from the same tree, cut down the middle.

Jim Rogers

PS. the customer peeled the logs and before they put them up they darkened a bit so he did them again to try and maintain a uniform look.

On the second rafter from the end on the right, the one with the big black dent in it, above the dent that didn't get cleaned out is a mark around the log. The tree was from their yard and someone had put a dog run chain or rope around the tree and it deformed the log at that point. The put it in as a conversation piece. It is a solid log but looks like a joint.....

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Chilterns

Hi,

This is rather a nice timber frame with stone fireplace and it is on this second feature that I would like further information.

Most of the stone employed looks to be quite rounded and so I wonder how this is laid and built up without slumping and moving out of place ?

Was a shutter / former employed ?

Chilterns

sawmillhand

wow that is very nice. i am looking forward to building my home and shop like that one day but the sad thing is we dont have many alot of trees to pick from we only have majority of pine.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Chilterns on August 26, 2012, 04:00:25 AM
Hi,

This is rather a nice timber frame with stone fireplace and it is on this second feature that I would like further information.

Most of the stone employed looks to be quite rounded and so I wonder how this is laid and built up without slumping and moving out of place ?

Was a shutter / former employed ?

Chilterns

I don't know if I'll ever get back there to see it again or not.
He's gone away for vacation to Maine this weekend so I can't just call him up and ask him any questions.
And I don't know if he does email or not.
It took me quite a while to finally find him and his mill.

I can't answer any questions about the stone work.

Sorry.
Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!