iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2019 WV Catfish

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 14, 2019, 10:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Sawin' and skinnin'.  Sawin' and skinnin'.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

Here's to tight lines 8) 8) 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

terrifictimbersllc

Wife is outfishing me this week.  Moosehead Lake, Maine.  44 degrees in the lake at the Moose river outlet, Rockwood.  Of course I had to drive the boat and think about sawing so it wasn't fair. 

We are back tomorrow.  Sawing for one select customer on Friday.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tule peak timber

WV Sawmiller

Okay - a real long day. Got up and left about 0615, got to the lake and boat unloaded/launched by about 0640, ran my lines and finished at 0731. Sampson was hoarse as we caught 12 fish that weighed in at 77 lbs. My evil Djinn was back and as I reached for a hard shaking line it untied and I even brushed the flagging as it went down. Maybe I need to go to remedial Boy Scout knot tying classes if Doc Henderson can squeeze me in. ::)

I rushed back, loaded the boat and home about 0800 and started skinning catfish around 0830. I finished skinning 138 lbs of fish about 11:15 and put them on ice in 2 coolers. Just skinned and gutted - not fillets yet. My wife was cutting up and packaging the 62 lbs of fillets from the day before. We leave them in the spare refer overnight to chill so they cut up easier. While I was skinning fish my busybody neighbor friend stopped by to see what I'd caught. I offered him a mess of fish and told him to go see Becky at the house  and she'd get him an old ice cream bucket or two. He said "I just happen to have a ziplock bag here in my pocket" and he pulled out a gallon bag which we filled for him.

I rushed in and showered and changed and went to a monthly luncheon for my wife and her retired teacher friends. We took another mess of fish to our IT friend along the way.

I guess we got back about 2:00 pm and I filleted off 33 lbs of fish for my housecleaner to take for her church to have a fish fry. I try to do that for her every year or so. I told her 33 lbs will feed 100 Baptists and that is not enough they better check the congregation rolls again for ringers from other denominations. :D

I still have an ice chest full waiting to fillet on ice but they will keep good till in the morning. I went back to the lake about 5:00 pm and down near the dam and caught 50-60 little bream for bait by about 7:30 pm. I heard a pontoon boat across the lake having trouble cranking so went to check to see if they needed a ride or a tow and found it was my dental assistant and her husband. They said their boat wasn't idling well but it was running enough to get them home so I left. There were no other boats in sight of them and I'd hate to see anyone stranded like that.

I baited my lines and picked up 4 channel and blue cats that weighed total around 12-15 lbs I guess. I finished baiting in the dark and checked the lines, replaced a couple of missing bait but no more fish. I did see several deer in the park along the lake and even spotted a family of 4 otters on the bank. They may not help my fishing but I love to watch them.

I will probably take up my lines in the morning and maybe put them out again in a week or so when the granddaughters are out of school to help.

5 fish, 61 lbs, biggest is 23 lbs from Tuesday night. I parked them in the creek in the front yard overnight and all were raring to go when I skinned them today.

12 fish Wednesday morning. 77 lbs total. Biggest about 13-14 lbs. Total for 2 nights fishing is 35 fish and 250 lbs.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fishpharmer

WV sawmiller, I am a little envious.  Ran lines like that when I was in high school, fun times. 

Are you seeing eggs in any of those fish? Or they spawned out already?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WV Sawmiller

PFarmer,

Many of these fish are full of roe. I never tried eating catfish roe but we like it from the bream and crappie and such we catch. They have not spawned out yet.

All,

Okay, another long day. Left the house before 0600 and stopped to get gas for the boat. I use 2 plastic 6 gallon tanks and when one gets low I switch on the fly. Six gallon tanks work great as a pint of mixing oil yields the 50:1 mix my motor uses. In the winter I take my leftover outboard gas and use it in my chainsaw then start with a fresh batch in the spring.

I took up my lines today. I had 8 fish that weighed 57 lbs total. The biggest was a 13 lb flathead on the same line I got a 23 lb flathead 2 days ago. There was also a small sycamore where I had lines on 2 different limbs and I doubled up on it today and yesterday. Those spots are what my grandpa used to call his "Smokehouses" because it was where he went to get his meat.

Here are the 4 fish from last night. They weighed 21 lbs total. They were very feisty when I went to clean them.

Here is them tied out. You can see one of my minnow traps in the background. Everybody needs a good flowing creek in their front yard.

Here is a shot of my outboard with a "Dolphin fin" supposed to help it plane out quicker and a River Runner guard that "sometimes" hits the rocks and  underwater obstacles before the prop. Seems like it was painted too when I bought and installed it. That 's another one of those things that require customization (No comments necessary there Danny >:( :D).

This morning's catch - 8 fish 57 lbs. They have all been well chastened and kept in line by Sampson.

Before cleaning today's catch I filleted yesterday's catch - 38 lbs + 33 lbs for the housecleaner church fish fry from 138 lbs live weight.

One of my Smokehouses where I caught a 23 lb and a 13 lb flathead and at least one 10 lb channel this trip. That sycamore limb is about 1/2" in diameter where the line is tied so it makes for an exciting sight when there is an active fish on it like now. That limb started about 4-5 ft above the water and he'd pull it completely under water at times.

I skinned and filleted today's and last nights catch. Had another 38 lbs of fillets plus a couple lbs off a mid sized flathead my wife came and got directly off the cutting board which we had about half of him with grits and cole slaw for lunch - he was very good!

I washed the boat good and emptied out the dead limbs and leaves and other trash I picked up on this trip and it is back in the shed ready for the next trip. I'll take a break for a few days and let my battered body, especially my hands heal up. Sliding cuts from catfish fins, gills and teeth plus nicks from my skinning and fillet knives and hooks, mixed with fish blood and lake water take their toll. Total catch for 3 nights = 328 lbs. Total number of fish = 47. Biggest fish 23 and 22 lb flatheads. Smallest exceeded 2 lbs. Average weight = approximately 7 lbs

Lessons learned and remembered this trip include:

1. Water entering into the boat when it is launched with no stern plug installed comes in the boat much faster than it goes out.
2. Limber green limbs are preferred for hanging bushhooks/limblines over vines. Vines may be used if that is the only thing to access the spot you want to fish. Poison ivy vines work but are less preferred to things like grape vines. Its better to check those leaves closely before tying rather than when you are taking them up.
3. Skinning and gutting all the fish first then filleting all of them works better for me than completely processing each fish in turn.
4. When cleaning fish and game outside where biting insects are a problem it probably works better if you put your skinning/fillet knife down before you swat that deer fly on your ear.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tule peak timber

WDH

Howard,

Down here, those plugs work better if they are inserted. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

Yeah, its funny how that physics thing works. :D I thought about inventing an idiot proof stern plug hinged on the bottom of the boat then floats up and seals the hole when you put the boat in the water. At least this time I remembered quickly, jumped in and put it in then took off and got the boat on plane and drained most of it out. 
Howard Green

WDH

A man has to be agile at times. 

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

Being agile comes in real handy sometimes when cutting a big tree too! ;)

My wife is putting the last of the fish in vacuum bags now. I gave a gallon bucket full to my son's MIL this morning and to a neighbor this afternoon. We stopped by Lowes and bought a replacement downstairs refrigerator. I borrowed one from my son while my old one is sick. Still trying to decide whether to fix or scrap it. its a 40 y/o Hotpoint but sure is handy for fish and making corned venison and such.
Howard Green

Andries

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 23, 2019, 09:33:31 PM. . . . At least this time I remembered quickly, jumped in and put it in then took off and got the boat on plane and drained most of it out.
My version of this is that I realize whats going on too late. By the time the hole is corked and the motor is started, there's a flood of water around my ankles. 
Trying to get the boat up on a plane only makes the front end point to the sky, and gets me a wet keester.
Family, all of'em, think I'm a laugh riot.  :(  :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

Stern plugs in boats are like side supports and toe boards on sawmills - you never forget to put one in unless there is a crowd to watch like when you saw into a side support or leave the toe board up and make long wedges. And the bigger the crowd the more likely it will occur.
Howard Green

doc henderson

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 23, 2019, 09:33:31 PM
Danny,

Yeah, its funny how that physics thing works. :D I thought about inventing an idiot proof stern plug hinged on the bottom of the boat then floats up and seals the hole when you put the boat in the water. At least this time I remembered quickly, jumped in and put it in then took off and got the boat on plane and drained most of it out.
i think they tried that but the idiots sat in the wrong spot and the plug went into  the wrong hole...???!!!   :D :D :D  sorry.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Chuck White

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 23, 2019, 09:33:31 PM
Danny,

Yeah, its funny how that physics thing works. :D I thought about inventing an idiot proof stern plug hinged on the bottom of the boat then floats up and seals the hole when you put the boat in the water. At least this time I remembered quickly, jumped in and put it in then took off and got the boat on plane and drained most of it out.
I did that once, back when I was stationed in Alaska!
A friend and I were launching my 12 foot inflatable in the surf down at Anchor Point and mis-guessed the timing of the surf!
The next thing that happened was the surf FILLED the boat and soaked us.  Point to remember: if an inflatable is still inflated, it won't sink!
My friend went back to the beach/shore (only 6 feet from where we were) and I just jumped in and got out beyond the breakers and ran the boat back and forth (parallel with the shoreline) until it was empty. 
The inflatable doesn't have a plug, it has a flap that closes with the water pressure against it and opens during operation to allow the water in the boat to exit!
We learned something that day!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

doc henderson

many sailboats that are designed to swamp and easily right themselves have a special plug with a string so the water can go out when up to speed by venturi action
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Don't the fish escape from the live well when that happens? :D And I guess you better have all the gear tied down. ???
Howard Green

tule peak timber

Quote from: doc henderson on May 24, 2019, 07:21:42 PM
many sailboats that are designed to swamp and easily right themselves have a special plug with a sting so the water can go out when up to speed by venturi action
I don't want to be on a boat that small !

doc henderson

It is the fish pulling the boat!  i guess if you are being chased by a shark, then yes, "I think you are going to need a bigger boat".   :D  or as the capim said, "rather be swimmin with bow legged women".   :D   8)

tule peak timber

WV Sawmiller

TPT,

Did you notice if that fish had a bush hook with a name tag made of pink flagging ribbon with my name on it? It looks like one of the two who stole my lines this trip. Either that or he was running away from them. :D

The line looked like this one.
Howard Green

tule peak timber

WV, No ...this fish was trailing 5 miles of stainless steel cable.
  Do you guys have otters or other critters gloming onto your fish ?

WV Sawmiller

TPT,

I don''t know of an otter ever stealing a fish or bait from me. I did find the biggest mink I have ever seen 2 years ago on the bank with about a 3 lb channel cat still attached to the line. He had started to chew the fishes chin when we got there and chased him off. The fish was about 6' up on the bank and still quite lively so the mink had just gotten to him. Last season I had one line that was pulled up on the bank twice and the bait fish was missing both times apparently from another mink. Usually the fish I catch are too big for a mink to handle. I have not found heads or anything left on a line that looked like an otter had gotten to them? I have in the past had limbs chewed off by beavers taking my line with them but that was just luck of the draw the beaver picked that limb to eat as the beavers don't eat or bother the fish.

I used to occasionally get a big snapping turtle hung on my line but that was mostly them stealing my cut or live bait or rarely a catfish. Often they would be foul hooked in the foot or shell. I have not even caught one of them in a couple years. I once had a big water snake tail walking like a big bass trying to shake a small dead bream off one of my lines. Fortunately he was not hooked and fled when I arrived so I did not have to try to unhook him. I don't like them but he was not doing anything un snake like.
Howard Green

tule peak timber

OR.........You are simply hooking fish too big for your gear.
        Please keep the pics coming as I really enjoy anything fish. Your buckets of filets have me drooling like Pavlov's puppy. 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!