iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky bar length, I am perplexed.

Started by Old Greenhorn, February 17, 2019, 02:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

This is embarrassing that I haven't figured this out yet: A co-worker has a 455 farm boss Rancher or whatever they call it. and changed to a shorter bar from his 20", said it was too long. I wanted to put a 20"bar on my straight 450 so I gave him $20 for it and shoved in the saw box. I bought a 20lpx 78 DL chain for it. Today I tried to put it on and it (the chain) is too short for the bar, or the bar is too long. I am missing something, obviously. Here are the facts:
My original 18" bar takes is .325 x .050 with 72 DL
The 'new bar' is also .325 x .050 and SHOULD take 78 DL according to all the references. Both are husky bars. The 20" says "Farm Tough" on it, whatever that means. When I measure the two bars, the overall length of the 20" is 2-3/4" longer then the 18" original. What am I missing? The mounts are the same on both. What am I missing here? Does Husky make a 21" bar?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Dave Shepard

The bar will be stamped with the number of drive links. That will tell the story. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Old Greenhorn

Duh! The paint was chipped and I never looked hard enough. You are correct, this bar says "80 DL". There is my folly, BUT I don't understand why when I looked up the chain for a 20" Husky bar, they all say "78DL". That will remain a mystery to me, for now. Until somebody else drops in here with further information I lacked the skill to find. I still feel embarrassed :-[ :-[.
 Thanks Dave. This just shows how often I change bar lengths.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

dougand3

78 DL is standard for an Oregon bar in 20" .325. The Husky branded "farm tough" bar must be a little fatter and/or a little longer.
As Dave said, the data needed SHOULD always be on the bar-.325 .050 80DL. 
16", 18", 20" are just approximate lengths measured from oil tank case to bar sprocket - basically = usable length. Total bar length is 2.5-30" longer than "labeled" length.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Southside

Husky has two different mounts for their bars, my guess is when you looked up the DL for the 20" bar your search resulted in the other mount style size.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

That was my first hunch, but they are the same mount.

Old Greenhorn

Now I learn that the 20lpx080g is harder to find that the 78DL. I was hoping to place my first order with Stahl, but they don't carry it, neither does Baily's. :( My 'locla' logging supplier has it, but I either have to drive 45 minutes to fetch it, or have it shipped for 10 bucks. I can't believe I am going to do this, but the most local for me at the best price is from home depot. Guess I will order it for pickup at the local store.
 Anybody here use the 20lpx078 chain or want to try out a full chisel round ground for a change? It's brand new and i have no way to use it.

lxskllr

You can get a pocket breaker for <$20 on amazon. Shorten the chain to fit your shorter bar(?). If I can do it, anyone can. I'm only buying reels for my little saws anymore, and as soon as I find a deal on Stihl 3/8, I'll get a reel for my big saws.

Old Greenhorn

I never thought of that! Thanks! Let me look into the tools I'll need. I guess I need a river spinner to? This was not on my radar, so I will have to do some reading up.

lxskllr

I use a pocket breaker to break the chain, then just whack it with a ball peen hammer to set a new preset. I guess you'll need a pack of presets too, unless you can save the old one. My method doesn't give the prettiest results, but I haven't had a failure yet.

I got this unit cause they said it was made in USA, but it probably doesn't matter much. It's only a couple pieces of steel.

Amazon.com: Chain Saw Pocket Chain Breaker for 1/4", .325", 3/8", .404", 1/2" pitch: Industrial & Scientific

Old Greenhorn

Re-using presets is not recommended by the manufacturer and they don't like the 'whack it with a ball peen' method too much either. ;D :D ;D
 The right tools for this get a little pricey for a guy like me. But your idea is sound, so I will ask around and see if I can find a buddy or shop that has the tools. I will have to also buy the presets.

Southside

Of course they don't like the ball peen hammer repair, but I have done plenty of 3/4" harvester and power saw chain repair with an angle grinder, replacement links, and a hammer. Never have had one fail yet. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

I found somebody with the tools locally, now I just need to find a couple of presets and tie links. Hate to buy a bag of each for just one chain. I wouldn't mind having them, just in case, but I KNOW by the time I need them again. I won't be able to find them.

Air Lad

Quote from: lxskllr on February 17, 2019, 04:35:37 PM
You can get a pocket breaker for <$20 on amazon. Shorten the chain to fit your shorter bar(?). If I can do it, anyone can. I'm only buying reels for my little saws anymore, and as soon as I find a deal on Stihl 3/8, I'll get a reel for my big saws.
You can carefully grind the pins down to release the outside plate to shorten a chain. Over here the supply shop will sell you joining links to fill the gap.
This is where the ball pein comes in to round off the pins and keep the outside plate on once you have got the desired amount of links.
youtube has this

Old Greenhorn

I don't like going at something like this half-arsed when I have the correct tools available as stated above. I am just waiting to see if my buddy also has some .325 presets laying around or if I have to buy them. Either way, I'll get the chain over to him OR give him a visit one Sunday and we'll get this fixed. I am still embarrassed I could not figure it out, so let's just let this thread die the death it deserves. :)

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

Quote from: lxskllr on February 17, 2019, 04:35:37 PM
...and as soon as I find a deal on Stihl 3/8, I'll get a reel for my big saws.
Well, I reluctantly ordered a 100' of RM2 off of ebay. Been watching it awhile, but didn't particularly want green chain. Too hard to pass up @ $235 shipped though. If nothing else, it'll make a good quality beater chain for bucking up dirty wood. Still gonna keep my eyes open for 25' of yellow chain.

LeeB

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 18, 2019, 08:29:53 PM
 am still embarrassed I could not figure it out, so let's just let this thread die the death it deserves. :)
No chance of that now.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

John Mc

I thought you needed to lengthen the chain, not shorten it?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: John Mc on February 19, 2019, 09:07:03 PM
I thought you needed to lengthen the chain, not shorten it?
Actually, either will work, I can make it longer to fit the 20" bar, or shorter to fit the 18". I would have to get more cutters to lengthen it, so it is easier and cheaper to shorten it.
(this thread is never going to fade away, is it? :-[)

lxskllr

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 19, 2019, 09:23:33 PMI can make it longer to fit the 20" bar, or shorter to fit the 18".
You need a chain stretcher!

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!