iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One of those mornings!

Started by Woodhauler, September 16, 2012, 11:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Went out to grease my truck and loader, was playing willies roadhouse on the magic radio and when i went to start it ............ nothing! Had plenty of juice but i still put the charger on it! That did nothing. So after cleaning the batterys and stuff it still wouldn't click the starter. Got my wife to hold the key on while im wiggled wires and tapped the starter . I  found the ground cable from the celliniod bad! It is not a wire, more like a heavy cloth cable! Was able to put a new end on it, just long enough! Anyone know what that wire is made out of?
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

bushmechanic

It's only a braided copper wire and tinned over,no insulation on it because it is a ground wire.Better to have it happen in the driveway than in the bush!

barbender

Maybe Willie's roadhouse corroded it ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Woodhauler

Quote from: bushmechanic on September 16, 2012, 02:19:22 PM
It's only a braided copper wire and tinned over,no insulation on it because it is a ground wire.Better to have it happen in the driveway than in the bush!
Kinda thought that!~ Going to spray something on it to stop, it corroding anymore!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Mark K

We are fighting a problem with our 377 pete. Some days it'll fire up no problem at all, next day batteries are dead. I load tested the batteries individually, cleaned up the connections put di-electric grease on but the gremlin is still there.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

bushmechanic

Hey Mark k sounds like you have a drain on the batteries,may be the altenator .If it's another circuit in the truck then undo the hot cable from the battery and put a test light in series between the positive battery terminal and the positive cable end.If the light lights then you have a draw on the batteries.If it lights for a second and then goes out that is the altenator and all is well.To find where the problem is just start pulling fuses until the light goes out,then whatever the fuse is for is the circuit with the problem.Oh and remember most radios have a memory wire which is hot all the time.Good luck.

Mark K

I'll try that, thanks Bushmechanic. Its an intermitent problem. It can run for a month and never bother. May get a chance to pull it in the shop this afternoon. Raining like crazy here not complaining because we need it. Good time to get caught up on these projects.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Cypressstump

Electrical gremlins suck ! On a boat I have, I ended up installing a "perko" brand disconnect switch. 30 dollar piece of mind,,,,,,, as long as I remember to turn the switch off after use.... :-\
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Thank You Sponsors!