iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

block heater for a Cat D-318

Started by Mt Horse Logger, December 08, 2013, 04:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt Horse Logger

I am wondering if anyone knows the easiest or correct location to install a block heater on a Cat D-318....? She is powering a 60 circle mill I am setting up. I am almost there. Its just a little cold to start her up and dial the mill in...!!!

Thanks

Mt Horse Logger...†

julio

they should be a ported hole in the block or you can install one in coolant hose or one on the oil pan
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

Mt Horse Logger

Thank you for the reply. I want to install a freeze block type heater and I only see one port on a panel plate. It is threaded with a square headed plug. I need someone who is familiar with this motor....?

thecfarm

Mt Horse Logger,no help at all,but welcome to the forum. Someone will know. Do you log with horses? Did you buy the mill or??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mt Horse Logger

Yes we do log with horses here in Western Montana a small family logging operation. I have owned several portable sawmills. I also bought all of the components to put together a large 60 inch corley years ago that all my friends talked me out of putting together due to they thought it would be too much mill for one person. I do regret selling it, but it did go to a fellow in North Carolina that loves it. So......it was still in my blood for all these years too push that can't through a circle mill and with all of the beetle kill here in Montana right now I desided to fulfill my dream and bought another mill. A American 60 inch mill....!!!

goose63

What part of western Montana ? I was born in Missoula  :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Mt Horse Logger

Just south of Missoula in the Bitteroot Valley between Hamilton and Corvallis. What part of North Dakota are you in? I worked in the oilfields near Kenmare ND. Always enjoyed getting up into the Turtle Mountains!

goose63

Quote from: Mt Horse Logger on December 08, 2013, 07:46:32 PM
Just south of Missoula in the Bitteroot Valley between Hamilton and Corvallis. What part of North Dakota are you in? I worked in the oilfields near Kenmare ND. Always enjoyed getting up into the Turtle Mountains!
little town name of Hankinson in the south east corner
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

bandmiller2

Mt. Horse,I ran a cat D-318 on my mill for years it was tucked away in the woods along way from power so I never installed a block heater.I used to start it in some real cold weather and the pony always started,once the pony runs its just a matter of time before the engine will start.Your Idea of a block heater is a good one though and will save much wear and tear on the diesel.I would stop by a truck parts outfit, they should have a catalog listing the type and location of the block heater.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

MT Horse Logger
Will be interested in the "new" 60" mill.

If you haven't already seen it, there is a good publication by Stan Lunstrum on Circular Mills that is worth taking a look at for some basics.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

julio

is the plug in the coolant jacket or oil jacket

Mt Horse Logger

Thank you for all of the helpful hints. I do believe the Cat dealership parts dep. Should give me the info I am seeking. It wouldn't hurt to order an owners manual. In regards to the last comment, I was wondering if that panel puts me into the oil reseviour...? I'll find out when I pull that plug tomorrow...?

Thanks again guys...!!!

julio

they are a lot of aftermarket coolant heater . I would stay always from cat parts in this case because of price.

sandhills

Welcome Mt Horse Logger, my brother lived in Kenmare ND until last year, as far as the cat goes we have one in the shed at dads place let me take a look at it in the morning, shouldn't be much trouble to do I wouldn't think.

Mt Horse Logger

Mt Horse Logger

Forgot to mention she is electric start another reason to add the block heater.

sealark37

You will also get an easier start by using #1 diesel fuel.  If #1 is not available, mix #2 diesel/kerosene @ 3/1.  Regards, Clark

ALWOL

I still run several of the D318 engines in the D6, and 977. They were built as pony start engines with the pony coolant and exhaust warming the diesel, there is no provision for a block heater that I know of. The D318 is a prechamber engine, so the electric start conversions should have glow plug chambers installed. It should also be possible to install a recirculating type coolant heater on it.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

hardtailjohn

Welcome to the forum, MT Horse Logger. I'm in Marion, outside of Kalispell. Also have a small circle mill... M14. We also raise Clydesdales and Percherons.
ALWOL has it on the nose...no provision for a freeze plug style heater. Get a recirculating heater, and you'll be fine.
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

bandmiller2

Mt. Horse,there are a couple of options, my mill is run with a 6 cyl ford Dagenham diesel, elect start and a little tired.No provisions for freeze plug heater.I got whats called a tank type heater,it mounts external on the engine block and has hoses from the bottom of the water jacket to the thermostat housing. It relies on the thermosyphen principal for circulation.Plug her in, one hour later starts like july. If your engine is in a smallish enclosure you could get one of those propane heaters that mount on a tank to heat the area or even an electric heater. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

hardtailjohn

I hauled logs for a guy that had hookups on the work pickups, that he'd pull up to the equipment when he got to work, hookup the hoses and it would circulate the warm water from the pickup engine to the equipment engine. Sure seemed to work slick and he could get stuff started easily at -40!

m wood

hardtailjohn, I'm gonna keep that one in mind.  I have often wondered how to circulate the heat from my work/plow truck to the cat dozer.  Time to do a bit of research on this idea, cuz shes a hard starter below about 30.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Gary_C

Quote from: hardtailjohn on December 10, 2013, 02:58:03 PM
I hauled logs for a guy that had hookups on the work pickups, that he'd pull up to the equipment when he got to work, hookup the hoses and it would circulate the warm water from the pickup engine to the equipment engine. Sure seemed to work slick and he could get stuff started easily at -40!

That's been talked about many times before and it's not a good idea as far as the engine in your pickup. The thermal shock when the cold coolant hits the warm pickup engine will crack blocks, heads, etc. If you have a newer pickup under warranty, if the dealer sees those hot swap hoses on your pickup, he will void your waranty immediately.

Don't know if you can get by with it if you have an older cast iron engine, but the newer alloy heads will not take the thermal stress. Best to find another way to preheat your engine.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

hardtailjohn

Gary-C I never heard of him having much problems, but that sure makes sense to me. I assumed that there was some sort of restrictor in there to keep it from all hitting at once?  Probably on the new computer controlled stuff, it'd shut down the whole mess!
Good point!

m wood

interesting, thats probably enuf research for me :D
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy