iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Invest or Replace?

Started by Lud, November 05, 2008, 09:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

I got the Husqvarna back in the 80's at the tractor dealer.  It died a year ago when I was making  full cuts on  big ash logs on a hot summer day.  Toasted the cyl cuz I didn't let it cool between cuts, I suppose.

Grabbed another Husqvarna 455 at the TSC  for 4 bills and worked it hard on the treelines all winter and have been satisfied 'til the oil pump plugged up.  Took it to a repair shop I was referred to and took along the old one for an evaluation.

They got the new saw working for only $37 so I thought that was pretty good what with what repair rates can be.

They tell me the old saw's cyl. and piston are toast and they can get the parts for $190 and about $75 in labor  they can do the rebuild.

Here's the question........is it worth it ?  Or shoul I forget it , keep it for the bar and any spare parts?  Switch to a stouter brand? 

All advice appreciated in advance.

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

ely

what model is the old one. if i had liked the saw i would have it rebuilt. it is not much money when you compare it to a new saw.

Al_Smith

Truth be known more than likely that saw got roasted by running low oil to fuel ratio and an air leak . It happens .

As far as if the thing is just so much aluminum scrap would be hard to determine over the internet . I wouldn't neccessarily take a dealers word for it though .

Without seeing it but just in broad general terms I've seen many a saw get a new lease on life with just a clean up and a new set of piston rings . Fact is this subject arisses on many internet forums on a regular bassis .

A dealer says one thing and us that know a little bit say something else .

Back to the question ,I wouldn't dump that kind of money in that saw .

SawTroll

What model is that old Husky?
Information collector.

Warbird

Make sure the dealer is reputable and is firm on the quoted price.  I once had a dealer tell me some work to my saw would be half of what a new one cost.  I went for it.  Then when I picked up the saw they said, "Oh yeah, we also had to do this and this...".  All told, I could have gotten a new saw for only $100 more than the work/parts.

I don't do business there anymore and I make sure my friends know about it.

Lud

Thanks , all ,  for the input.

The  old one was pretty much the same size as the new one,  455,  "Farm" something?   More plastic  on the new one, of course, but pretty much the same saw

As I said,  these fellers did a little repair straight forward and I had no bad vibe. 

I've  a step brother that preaches the strong oil-to-fuel ratio and so I've riched up the mix the last year.

Warbird's  experience is what I'm leary of.  I'd still have an old carb,brake, bar, etc.  Could have a new saw for another  $125 over projected repair.

I'll ask them if new rings wouldn't work.

Still not sure what to do.  The saw was a good runner 'til it puked out.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

isawlogs

Here is my opinion on this
     I dont think , well I know I would not put that kind of money into that saw. You stated that this saw has been sitting for a year or so , this tells me that the carb may or may not need cleaning or rebuild , that will be over and above your quoted price. If this one is or could be a parts saw , that is where it would go . Put that money that you intend to put on this saw towards a new one and I am sure you will not be short by much and you get a new saw to play with .

This is how I would do it ...  ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Al_Smith

Here is where I get on my soapbox . Working on chainsaws is not rocket science  like so many of the so called "builders " say it is . Of course they would say that ,that's what they do for a living . I mean I could say it takes a 4 year apprenticeship to able to wire a three way switch just to scare people off .

Now I can well understand why somebody would not care to undertake a major rebuild but anybody with just common sense can rekit a carb . You don't have to trot to the Stihl dealer and pay three times to going rate for the kit either or Husqvarna or whomever made the saw .

Every maker of carbs in the world has excellent tutorials on their individual web sites on "how to " plus troubleshooting guides . If you can change oil on an automobile you  surely  can rebuild a cab .If you can't ,I rest my case . :)

Warbird

Very true, Al.  In my case, I simply didn't have the time to sit down and do the work.  Then I believed the dealer.  And then I got taken advantage of.  In the future, I'll likely make the time.

isawlogs

No it aint rocket science , never said or thought it was , but where would you draw the line on this saw , its needs a rebuild , it will most likely need a carb kit also , aint like it was a top of the line saw , I only stated my opinion that I would part out the saw ... Tell me where rocket science came into play ...  ::) ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

That was good advice, in my opinion, that isawlogs gave.

...but then, isawlogs might make a good rocket scientist too.. 8)

;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lud

Thanks to all.  I'm leaning towards a pass on paying for the rebuild.

You've enhanced my perspective.  Great aspect of the Forum. 8)

Al_Smith

Quote from: isawlogs on November 07, 2008, 02:04:42 PM

I only stated my opinion that I would part out the saw ... Tell me where rocket science came into play ...  ::) ???
Just my opinion too for what it's worth . Maybe over stated  ,pardon me  no malice was intended nor fingers pointed ,just a broad general statement . ;)

Urbicide

Quote from: SawTroll on November 06, 2008, 07:02:56 AM
What model is that old Husky?
Some of the older Husqvarna saws are really still sought after even today. I have a good friend who has owned a 266 for years and he will not part with it. If you can find the actual model number and perhaps post a  picture(s) of the saw we can offer you even better advice.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Urbicide on November 09, 2008, 12:25:18 PM
Some of the older Husqvarna saws are really still sought after   
I have one of those ,a 2100 .Heavy ,powefull about like rope starting a Harley .Gets the job done though .

zopi

Watch fleabay fer the parts cheap and rebuild it yerself...or part it out on fleabay and put the
money towards a new Stihl. <G>
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Lud

It was never some high end Husky, just a stout landowner model that was pretty solid until I asked too much of it on a hot day.

I hope to go down there and talk to the fellas and see why new rings wouldn't let it run.  plus how much i owe them for the look-see.  Probably bring it home for the bar and chain.

Lud

Old one's a 55.

I stopped and picked up the saw.  Tim of M&M in Ashland showed me the Piston  and allowed a ring job might work but it wouldn't run or idle "right" which I infer to mean within some acceptable  range.  He totally understood why I chose not to invest in the repair.  When I asked how much I owed him for the eval. ,  he said "Nuthin".  I shook his hand and said I appreciated it and would share with my  chainsawing friends how it was nice to do square business with someone like the old days.

SawTroll

Quote from: Lud on November 11, 2008, 08:40:09 PM
Old one's a 55.up the saw. 

Sounds like the only decent saw in this thread...... ???
Information collector.

rebocardo

> Some of the older Husqvarna saws are really still sought after even today.

Agreed, some of the okay shape Husky 272s have been selling for $300+ on E-bay!

isawlogs

Had this saw been a 272 my reply would of been quite different  ;)

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!