iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw cut protection boots on sale

Started by John Mc, December 05, 2018, 04:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I just got a notice that Haix's top of the line chainsaw protective boots, Haix Protector Ultra are on sale starting today for almost $100 off (reg $374, now $279). I own a pair of their entry-level chainsaw boots (XR200 model) and am very happy with them - more comfortable than a lot of hiking boots I've owned (they replaced some old rubber chainsaw boots that were so uncomfortable I ever ended up wearing them). If I didn't already own them, I'd jump on the Ultras.

Haix also occasionally sells Factory Seconds at a steep discount For example, factory second Ultras go for $195 (regularly $375) and the XR200 model goes for $149 (reg price is $275). They are just cosmetic defects, but there is no warranty, and it's hit or miss whether they'll have your size available (you can sign up for alerts for when your size is available).

I have no connection with Haix (other than a satisfied customer). Just thought I'd pass this along, in case anyone was in the market
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

teakwood

Thank you for that link, i always wanted to buy chainsaw boots, they look great! Although i would want to try them on first.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

John Mc

Quote from: teakwood on December 06, 2018, 07:46:17 AM
Thank you for that link, i always wanted to buy chainsaw boots, they look great! Although i would want to try them on first.
Yeah. I'm pretty particular about how my boots fit. I bought mine at the Logging Expo in Vermont several years ago. Haix had a booth there. All they had in my size at the show was the wide version. I tried on the Prime and the XR200 wides in my length. They felt pretty good, just a little sloppy in the width. (I did not go for the Prime model because the 9" uppers were just a bit too tall for my liking.) The woman in the Haix booth said she'd give me the show special price if I wanted to order some, and they would accept a return if they did not fit, as long as I had not worn them outside or scuffed them up. So I took a chance and ordered the XR200 in a medium. When they came in they fit perfectly.

Having found a good fit, I would not hesitate to order my next pair direct from Haix. However, that may be a while, since these are holding up well. I'm not cutting wood commercially/professionally, but I do use them fairly regularly. I treat them with a silicone based polish every so often to keep the leather conditioned. After 3 years, they still look and fit great.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

upnut

Thanks for the heads up! I too own a pair of XR200 Airpower boots which are worn any time wood handling is taking place. My only complaint is the hard sole is very slippery on snow and ice. I am tempted to try a pair of Protector Ultras from the factory seconds selection which have the Vibram sole for better grip in wintry conditions. After owning and wearing boots with quality protection, going without is not an option. Thanks again....Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Crusarius

I have a pair of kahtoola microspikes I use. Best purchase I ever made. 

I am a volunteer firefighter and always seem to end up being the guy on the roof dealing with a chimney fire. Chimney fire usually = icy roof. I wear these on the roof and have never slipped. (will not wear on metal roof)

I am also part of the high angle rope rescue team. These things are amazing when dangling over the side of a cliff. I seem to be the only one not slipping and sliding.

I am still baffled by the amount of ppl in my department that will not try them.

upnut

Crusarius- Thank You for your service, and thanks for the tip! I do have a pair of slip-on Eagle Claw ice grippers, purchased along with chains for the quad in response to a mid-winter ice storm a few years ago. They work great, not sure how they would hold up in a wood cutting setting tho. I did order a pair of Protector Ultra boots from the Factory Seconds, hopefully they will have better grip. Slipped and fell while felling a dead elm the other day, don't like that situation!

Scott B.

Crusarius

I have worn mine into a fire a time or two. Surprisingly they held up. The only rubber part is the top that goes around the boots. the rest is chain with spikes. I absolutely love them. They reside in my truck.

Work great in the mud to.

John Mc

Quote from: Crusarius on December 06, 2018, 10:54:39 AMI have a pair of kahtoola microspikes I use. Best purchase I ever made.

We got my Dad a pair of Yaktrax when he started having problems walking on icy parking lots in his later years. They worked well for him, but i never bothered trying them for working in the woods because they just don't look like they'd hold up at all or provide much traction help on rough ground.

I tried using my mountaineering crampons in the woods once. They were overkill and tough to move around in when in the woods, so I gave that up.

I just took a look at those Kahtoola Microspikes you mentioned. They look like a good design for winter woods work - and built to take a bit more abuse than the Yaktrax. 

Upnut:  Are the Eagle Claw ones the kind that straps into the arch of your foot? I've seen them, but never tried them.

Crusarius

I got my mom the yaktrax. she loves them. I also got my wife a set and they work great. Surpsing the amount of traction they do offer.

The only issue we had was she lost one in the woods on a walk one day. So I bought her another set. then in the summer on another walk I found it sop now we are back to two sets :)

The katoole ones do not come off easily.

HolmenTree

Going on 6  years now wearing my Haix Protector Volts. Now buttery soft. Steel toe but no steel in the instep for electrical safety. Kevlar protection .
2nd pic shows the ventilation holes in the tongue and back top of boot for air circulation with each step.

Last pic is the best logging boots I owned for spring fall and winter. 
Nokia made in Finland .
  Kevlar tongue and upper  right to the steel toe.
 When I bought them new they came with a bag of tungsten tire studs and a installation tool for extra traction .
Best worn with the blue Viking/Bama liner for dry comfort.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

upnut

John Mc- Mine are the Super Stud Sandal SCL-2, and worked great when Mother Nature turned our driveway and wood hauling trail into ice skating rinks. Was fun to paddle around on top of the deep snow cover tho!

upnut

Wore the new boots today cutting firewood, really like the Vibram sole so far, no snow or ice but felt more sure-footed in mud and frost. Weigh about the same as the Airpower boots, and I like the lacing system a little better. The extra height will take some getting used to, but I like the extra protection. Overall, happy with the purchase......Scott B.

John Mc

Quote from: upnut on January 05, 2019, 03:52:58 PM
Wore the new boots today cutting firewood, really like the Vibram sole so far, no snow or ice but felt more sure-footed in mud and frost. Weigh about the same as the Airpower boots, and I like the lacing system a little better. The extra height will take some getting used to, but I like the extra protection. Overall, happy with the purchase......Scott B.

It may be too soon to tell, since you probably don't have them broken in yet, but how do those Ultras compare to your old XR200s for comfort? My XR200s fit me perfectly and are as comfortable as the best pair of hiking boots I've owned. When they finally wear out, I'm not sure whether to go with another pair, or try the Ultras.

upnut

John- So far not the initial comfort, feels like clumping around in snow-ski boots. I think its the extra height, plus extra layers of Kevlar. I agree with the comfort of the Airpowers, just too many slips and falls in wintry conditions. 

Scott B.

nativewolf

Quote from: Crusarius on December 06, 2018, 10:54:39 AM

I am a volunteer firefighter and always seem to end up being the guy on the roof dealing with a chimney fire. Chimney fire usually = icy roof. I wear these on the roof and have never slipped. (will not wear on metal roof)

I am also part of the high angle rope rescue team. These things are amazing when dangling over the side of a cliff. I seem to be the only one not slipping and sliding.

I am still baffled by the amount of ppl in my department that will not try them.
@Crusarius 

Old thread but I wanted to say thanks for pointing out your experience with the spikes.  I'm looking for boots again and have some issues slipping so have been wondering about calks.  Think I'll go this route and forget calks (which seemed a whole nother bag of issues).
I went through 2 pairs of Haix airpowers (i think) and both failed in same region, seperating uppers from soles just behind the toe caps.  One pair was replaced after 6 months but the other lasted not much longer.  My other problem was I found them a bit slippery.  So, I've decided to try another brand.  I wanted to try the labonville but they are back ordered for 6 weeks and I need to be in good boot in 3 weeks so... still looking.  Wesco makes a great looking boot but I think I need both kidneys and they won't take the kid as down payment.  I looked at Hoffman and Nicks but both seemed to be calk centered.  
I looked at the Nokian and Viking but I don't get that much snow otherwise they both seem to be good choices.  
Still looking but at least I have a plan for icy/snow days so many thanks!
Liking Walnut

barbender

NW, I've had the same experience with the Haix Airpowers. My sole and upper pulls apart right where your toes bend. I bought one pair, they lasted almost a year. Haix sent me a replacement even though they were out of warranty, good on them for that👍 The replacements lasted about the same length of time before failing in exactly the same spot. I wanted to find something else, but there really wasn't anything else with saw protection I've found. So I ended up buying another pair. They're good boots but don't last nearly long enough fo how much they cost. Haix needs to address that failure point, my boots were in good shape and would've lasted years longer outside of that.
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Might want to check out Kenetrek Lineman Extreme boots. There not chainsaw proof but steel toe and high quality 495.00. They make various hunting ones and others 

Walnut Beast

The boots I wear are Meindl comfort hunter. They have a cork foot bed that forms to your foot. They are a awesome boot. Made in Germany. 300 bucks. They only make them insulated with 400g. I wear them year round. I have done everything in them. Work,hunt,lift weights, treadmill, run,walk

Crusarius

Quote from: nativewolf on August 04, 2020, 09:07:43 PM
Quote from: Crusarius on December 06, 2018, 10:54:39 AM

@Crusarius

Old thread but I wanted to say thanks for pointing out your experience with the spikes.  I'm looking for boots again and have some issues slipping so have been wondering about calks.  Think I'll go this route and forget calks (which seemed a whole nother bag of issues).
I went through 2 pairs of Haix airpowers (i think) and both failed in same region, seperating uppers from soles just behind the toe caps.  One pair was replaced after 6 months but the other lasted not much longer.  My other problem was I found them a bit slippery.  So, I've decided to try another brand.  I wanted to try the labonville but they are back ordered for 6 weeks and I need to be in good boot in 3 weeks so... still looking.  Wesco makes a great looking boot but I think I need both kidneys and they won't take the kid as down payment.  I looked at Hoffman and Nicks but both seemed to be calk centered.  
I looked at the Nokian and Viking but I don't get that much snow otherwise they both seem to be good choices.  
Still looking but at least I have a plan for icy/snow days so many thanks!

Nativewolf, glad I could help. I have never heard of the calks till now. Man those are some seriously scary looking boots. I don't think I would want to wear then in my truck. The microspikes I have worn in my truck plenty of times. They do not do any damage I have seen. Plus they are super easy to remove when you want to walk on hard ground like concrete.

The biggest disadvantage is on concrete they make it really slippery. But I still love them.

Glad some of my ramblings are helping ppl.

I do wonder about those calks filling full of mud and being useless. I have not had that problem with the microspikes but they are easy to remove and clean.

nativewolf

Quote from: barbender on August 04, 2020, 10:56:19 PM
NW, I've had the same experience with the Haix Airpowers. My sole and upper pulls apart right where your toes bend. I bought one pair, they lasted almost a year. Haix sent me a replacement even though they were out of warranty, good on them for that👍 The replacements lasted about the same length of time before failing in exactly the same spot. I wanted to find something else, but there really wasn't anything else with saw protection I've found. So I ended up buying another pair. They're good boots but don't last nearly long enough fo how much they cost. Haix needs to address that failure point, my boots were in good shape and would've lasted years longer outside of that.
Yep, I also didn't like the soles on the airpowers, as some have said they are a bit slippery but lots and lots of wear left on them.  The laboville boots were real chainsaw boots but a long wait list and they want your $ now.  Wesco looks nice but I want a lower heel (which they will make ) and other stuff that makes it a custom boot and my kidneys seem so useful.
Liking Walnut

John Mc

Quote from: upnut on January 05, 2019, 04:51:21 PM
John- So far not the initial comfort, feels like clumping around in snow-ski boots. I think its the extra height, plus extra layers of Kevlar. I agree with the comfort of the Airpowers, just too many slips and falls in wintry conditions.

Scott B.
Scott - resurrecting an old thread here. I'm wondering how those Haix Protector Prime boots worked out for you? Did they feel better once they were broken in?
My brother is in the market for a pair of chainsaw boots. He's looking at the Haix XR200. The current promotion - $100 off if you use the code AIRPOWER100 at checkout - is pretty tempting. He's also considering the Haix Ultra or Prime boots.

Thank You Sponsors!