iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heat

Started by Bruno of NH, July 02, 2018, 03:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Got out and cut a walnut heart between 10:30 & 1:00 today and felt about like the MM photo. Showered and drank 2 big Gatorades and a quart or so unsweeteened tea and spent next few hours under the ceiling fan. 

I will probably go get the 10' logs down late this afternoon if it has dried out enough for me get the ATV up the hill with the log arch in tow. It is so steep I have to get a good running start and it is not fun if you don't quite make it over the crest. :o

Sorry about the scare and hope your wife makes a quick and complete recovery. Its those little things we take for granted that will sneak up on you and really hurt you.  

I remember when I was stationed at Parris Island and we were working recruits most of our heat casualties were not on the PT field where we were watching them like a hawk. They would come in the Mess Hall or on the drill field or at a clothing appointment or such when we least expected it. I did learn then a heat casualty was much more likely to have a relapse so if you ever have one be doubly careful in the future.

Lawg Dawg,

if you want to swap a pickup load of those watermelons for a nice hand made primitive live edge bench let me know and I will swing by the 22nd of July on our way back from my wife's 45th HS reunion. We'll be overnighting in Atlanta on the way to Charlotte NC then home to WV Monday 23rd. I will expect the melons to be on ice and none of those with hollow hearts. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

My 16 year old helper called in on Monday
Girl friend was leaving for 9 days ;D
Today made it 2 hours and had to stop for the day  :D was to hot 9:30 am.
He's a football player and tells me how tough he is :)
The fat guy made it to 4:30
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

If you feel like that Magicman you need more than powder.   :D :D

Hot today Bruno, I cut a bunch 6x6s, Going to take the 4th off.
Maybe go for a bike ride. Thursday, I got a bunch of 2x12x16, 2x10x24. 2x10x22.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

Fall is my all-time favorite time of the year!

I usually start out making sure my lube line is thawed out and end up with around 2,000 board feet of lumber at quitting time!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coalsmok

Been bad here. Humidity is so high and the air just isn't moving. I work on natural gas compressors in tin buildings and a gallon of water goes fast. We have to wear FR long sleeves and pants that don't breath as well either. Lots of breaks and if the truck ac isn't up to par the truck is broke down.

petefrom bearswamp

My mill is oriented north and south under cover so only get the early AM sun, shaded by trees the rest of the day so isnt too much of a problem.
When I worked marking timber I hoot owled it, in the woods at daybreak till 10AM or so and sometimes back out about 7 PM, but only if the job was fairly close to home.
Heat, cold it is all part of equation but deep snow is another factor
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Tin Horse

One more day to go. 107°F here right now. Not used to this heat and humidity. This is why I want my mill under a roof, not in the sun as it is now. We even put the horses in the barn. Never done that before. And they don't even want out after the sun goes down. Great in the AC in the house but starting to get cabin fever.
Something wrong with the dog though, he loves the heat. Lays outside in full sun til I drag him in. 
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman you can man up and fill up your DEPENDS while you work.
But be glad your not a Goat!

Ever tried cleaning Peanut Butter out of Shag Carpet?
Yep....thats what its like being a Goat!  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

TMI, goat!!😂😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

samandothers

I assumed the baby was just wise and had found a way to cool 'it'.  Just like moisture evaporates from a shirt those diapers have a lot of moisture to evaporate!

petefrom bearswamp

Heading to the mill in about 30 minutes, plan to work until too hot
AC in house took a dump overnight.
lowered my hot tub temp to 99 and it feels good that way between the lower temp and adult beverage.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

I will be bushhogging for the next couple of days.  smiley_sweat_drop  smiley_sun
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on July 05, 2018, 07:40:20 AM
I will be bushhogging for the next couple of days.  smiley_sweat_drop  smiley_sun
Y'all have Yellow Jackets? ( bees )

WV Sawmiller

I found my last nest in the front yard in the creek bank when I got the mower too close to the edge of the creek and got it stuck on top of their nest. >:( They did not like me trying to rock it out or the vibration it made and did not appreciate when I got off and lifted it over to the side and got out. Luckily I did not get stung and came back and cooled them down with a good dose of wasp and hornet spray about sunset.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Get you a 3 pack of walmart safety yellow T shirts with the pocket.  2 sizes bigger than normal.  Cut the sleeves so that theyre still long enough to cover your shoulder joints but are slit way down below the arms.  This will give a big vent up the belly area and keep your arm pits more comfortable.  

Now go to tractor supply or the co-op and buy a cheap straw cowboy hat.  Gotta be straw.  Poke your finger through the top in one or two place for vents and stick a pair of stacked paper towels inside, tucked up under the sweat band to stay in place, also with some poked holes.  

Now youre a redneck, go work in sun.

The dirt was 90 in the shade yesterday and 104 in the sun.  A steel plate was 133.  
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Mike,

You forgot to mention the bib overalls open on the sides and fastened with only one strap and his brogan shoes with no socks.
Howard Green

petefrom bearswamp

I have 3 straw hats which I grab the closest one in the morning before heading to the mill
Only wear them when moving logs and lumber in the yard along with sun glasses.
Today was only 89 so not too bad but I took my shirt off and let the sawdust settle on my body.
Glad nobody was there to see me naked from the waist up as my body has failed me as well as some of  my mind.
Also glad I got to the house with the sawdust on me before my wonderful missus got home.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

POSTON WIDEHEAD

True story......I keep extra T-Shirts in my new refrigerator. Now thats cool!

Magicman

No YJ's yet but I did have to dodge those big bright red wasps all day.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,  

Were they in the weeds or up in your bushhog?

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on July 05, 2018, 06:52:06 PM
True story......I keep extra T-Shirts in my new refrigerator. Now thats cool!
I started to comment then realized I would be in the woodshed it I did. :D

Howard Green

caveman

He probably keeps the t-shirts on the same refrigerator shelf as the peanut butter.
Caveman

barbender

Goat, I don't know if you ever watched the sitcom "Seinfeld", there was a character named Kramer who had a similar habit to your fridge t-shirts, except the opposite end of the temperature spectrum. He liked his pants fresh out of the dryer, and then at one point ended up with them in a pizza oven because he got addicted to his "hot pants" and needed a quick fix😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

IMERC

warms up...
loose the coat...
gets hotter..
loose more...
you'll know it's just too hot when you're issued citations and hauled off...

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

WDH

Reminds me of Miss Scarlet. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!