Firewood season begins for me!!!

I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

mike_belben

Same here.  Unfortunately the money making part of it is about 9 months away.  

Looking down on my 30ft trailer.  those top chunks are about 28" diameter and 4ft long 

Went back with the little trailer to clean up what i couldnt fit the first time.  

Got 10x more to go.

Praise The Lord

thecfarm

woodsdog,I can see some snow,but have to look for it. Snow is melting here,that means the ground is soft. I have been out some,but don't want to make a mess of my land. Won't be long and I will be able to go where I want. There are some wet spots I need to keep away from until about late June.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

You havent got then filled with fieldstone yet?   :snowball:
Praise The Lord

sprucebunny

I've been working on it, too. Cutting to keep my view. All the wood is over an embankment. 

Is that a Honda 420 ? 
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

brianJ

Season 18/19   Already have delivered a little.   That guy is my biggest and most flexible customer for taking delivery so he gets a discount.   Works at my scale.    A mile up the road is a clear cut done last year.   The unmarketable logs are piled up and bark getting loose.   Thats good because it has been given to me and plenty of mud on them.

mike_belben

I let most wood lay until it gets a little wormy and undresses itself.  Everything here tends to have had poison ivy or oak on it.  
Praise The Lord

upnut

Looks good! Now you need to throw a trailer behind your quad! My Grizzly wouldn't know how to act without a trailer behind it.......

Have fun!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

petefrom bearswamp

Here is our firewood staging area.
The stacked wood was cut late last summer into fall for 2018-2019.
The tree length will be for 2019-2020.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

r.man

Pete do the first piles get used as is or recut?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

DDW_OR

had a mild winter here in Oregon. With the Central Boiler 750 i used 2.5 cords of Madrona
Madrona is about the same as Oak.

so i will cut 5 cords for the winter of 2018-2019
"let the machines do the work"

woodsdog2015

Quote from: sprucebunny on April 10, 2018, 08:19:13 AM
I've been working on it, too. Cutting to keep my view. All the wood is over an embankment.

Is that a Honda 420 ?
Sprucebunny, yep a manual tranny 420 Rancher.  Good four wheeler, It owes me absolutely nothing.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

woodsdog2015

Quote from: thecfarm on April 10, 2018, 06:34:01 AM
woodsdog,I can see some snow,but have to look for it. Snow is melting here,that means the ground is soft. I have been out some,but don't want to make a mess of my land. Won't be long and I will be able to go where I want. There are some wet spots I need to keep away from until about late June.
Believe it or not but where I was cutting just three weeks prior was about 2ft or so of snow.  Then we had some rain then just sun but not really warmer weather appreciably but it was enough to melt most of the stuff off.  We had a tough long winter and then February reversed itself with March and it made me have to really scrounge for some late winter wood to keep my house warm.  I bow shot the biggest buck of my life right about where my wheeler is parked about 15 years ago.  He green scored 132 7/8 Pope and Young points but I didn't enter him in the books.  Right behind me about 50 yards is a huge gorge with a creek that enters into Lake Erie.  
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

woodsdog2015

Quote from: upnut on April 11, 2018, 06:57:39 AM
Looks good! Now you need to throw a trailer behind your quad! My Grizzly wouldn't know how to act without a trailer behind it.......

Have fun!

Scott B.
Scott, yep your wood pile is much bigger then mine but I'm working on it.  I do have a little trailer that hauls about a half a face cord of split chunks and about 3 to 4 big rounds at a time.  I'm thinking of taking my splitter up to the wood this time instead of taking the wood down to the splitter and hopefully I won't devastate the trails too bad.  I need to change out the tires on my trailer to more like atv tires as the ones I have are narrow and don't float on top of snow or soft ground... they dig in under load.  Which is a real PITA!!!!  I keep telling my wife I need a tractor... some day.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

woodsdog2015

Quote from: DDW_OR on April 11, 2018, 10:15:03 AM
had a mild winter here in Oregon. With the Central Boiler 750 i used 2.5 cords of Madrona

DDW, what part of Oregon?  I have relatives in Eugene and Keizer.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

woodsdog2015

Quote from: mike_belben on April 10, 2018, 12:49:48 AM
Same here.  Unfortunately the money making part of it is about 9 months away.  

Looking down on my 30ft trailer.  those top chunks are about 28" diameter and 4ft long

Went back with the little trailer to clean up what i couldnt fit the first time.  

Got 10x more to go.
Yeah you're at a much large scale then me.... nice big stuff too.  I'm lucky where I'm cutting my buddy had it timbered and the cull trees and the tops are numerous so I'm grateful to have this available to me.  Feeling a little overwhelmed with my puny operation but I'll chunk away at it.  I'm bucking it up now and stacking then i'll go back and split and haul it down to my truck.  My issue is the wood is about a good half mile or better back from the nearest road so I then have to haul it down to my truck to get it home.  
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

woodsdog2015

Petefrombearswamp,

Very cool thanks for sharing!  You have 30 years on me and your woodpiles are still bigger :o :D
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

mike_belben

Yeah i started out with a  nissan pickup truck and everything by hand about 10yrs ago before i moved down south.  It'll use you up.

Im workin the bobcat for free right now for the practice, refining my equipment to do top cleanup with just one machine.  The job is close, easy and i can come and go as i please with the boy so it makes sense for now.  A few sawlogs have atleast covered the fluids.

i am trying to setup for that zone in between logging and tree service.  Need to meet a developer who is building houses on patches of woods and wants one guy to do it all.  Log, cleanup, driveway, drainage and pad.  hoping im ready when both kids are in school soon. 

Praise The Lord

DDW_OR

Quote from: woodsdog2015 on April 11, 2018, 11:27:28 PM
Quote from: DDW_OR on April 11, 2018, 10:15:03 AM

DDW, what part of Oregon?  I have relatives in Eugene and Keizer.

SW corner on I-5 exit 80
Glendale
"let the machines do the work"

petefrom bearswamp

Rman, The stacked and randomly piled wood goes in the classic as is.I transport it with my Kubota RTV 900.
Woodsdog, I  do however have lots of help with the wood which is for me and my son.
He is now retired and helps at the mill also.
Grandson helps when he is available.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!