iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log trailer with Farmi 351P

Started by gearman, March 21, 2011, 10:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gearman

Does anyone have any experience hauling a trailer, when using a farmi winch?  I found some information on the farmi website.  They offer a hitch attachment, but only on the larger 501 size winch.  My worry would be that the smaller 351P is not strong enough to support a trailer tongue, if I welded a 2" receiver to the winch base ?
NH 55da, 270FEL, Farmi 351P, Husky 51, 359, Jonsered 2065, 2171
Well done is better than well said

shinnlinger

good idea.  I try to weld receiver tube on almost every implement I have so I can haul trailers and what not w/out taking anything off.  If your welding already and you doubt the frame strength, beef it up.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Maine372

the problem will be the lower pulley being in the way. so long as you can work around it id say youre golden.

Dave Shepard

I have a receiver on my Farmi 306. I don't think the winch will have a problem with it. bill m and I had a discussion about this a few weeks ago. The hitch point on the winch will be 18" or more behind the normal hitch point on the tractor. This will reduce the safe tongue weight that you can have with your trailer. You will also have to be wary of side loading your three-point hitch linkage in a tight turn.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

simonmeridew

I'm not sure that the lower pulley is an issue on the new Farmi winches. The lower pulley  is now adjustable up and down probably 18 inches along a center web, with a series of holes to pin the pulley.
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

shinnlinger

If it is behind your tractor, I don't see why the hitch needs to be centered if their is an interference issue just mount it off to the side a bit.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

gearman

Pardon my ignorance, but I began thinking that the tongue weight and any force generated by a loaded trailer bouncing along the trail would be absorbed by the 3pt hydraulics.  Does this idea seem correct?  If so could this damage the 3pt hydraulics over the long haul?  In order to keep the lower edge of the winch plate off the ground while rolling down the trail, I believe that the receiver could be well below the lower pulley. The simplest setup would be a plate with a 2" receiver, welded to the dozer blade, would this interfere significantly when skidding logs.  I was trying to picture a setup that could be installed and removed with pin/pins, perhaps hung off the lip which accepts chokers.  Thanks for the replies

gearman

generally I dont give my wifes opinion enough weight, but her idea was...Cut a notch in the dozer blade's bottom edge.  With the 351P in the fully raised position, my trailer will almost fit under.  Eyeballing, it looks like a 3" tall notch would suffice. Im afraid that might weaken the dozer blade lip.  I AM using the lower 3pt holes on the winch, to get the best height.  This option would negate any issues related to forces on the 3pt during turning or pulling or overloading.

Dave Shepard

My Farmi is the style before the dozer blade, so I just welded a pre-made receiver tube under the bottom of the frame. It is close to the pulley, but does not interfere. On my box scraper, I pierced through the back with the torch and inserted the receiver tube, then welded all the way around it. I would also put a vertically oriented gusset on the inside as well. I would avoid cutting through the winch at the dozer blade edge. I think it would weaken it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ahlkey

I would be concerned that by attaching the log trailer to the winch plate you could be unsafe.  In general the winch when attached to the hydraulic lifts can have a degree of sway and adding a fully loaded trailer bouncing around on winding trails or steep grades could easily become unstable if you are not careful.  In any case make sure your trailer has a swivel hitch just in case it starts to go over on you.

The idea of cutting a notch through the base plate is not a bad idea but I would add a small raised bar extension.  In this way you would not need to cut through the bottom edge.  I would agree leaving the bottom edge for support is important but I wouldn't worry too much about the bottom pulley as I rarely use it.  

Be very careful whatever you do.

Blackfly

How big is your trailer? I bolted a hitch to the plate on my winch to pull a half-cord trailer with my 8-n tractor for firewood. You could pull much more with your tractor than mine, but if you stay out of the rough stuff and don't pull too much of a load, the three point hitch shouldn't be overstressed. If you do run the trailer tongue under the winch, be sure when your front wheels ride up over something, that the tongue doesn't bind up against the winch. Also check turning clearance if your tractor tips into a hole as it turns.

dmulac

I have an older 351P (14 yrs) which i welded an old 4" drop hitch (just the angled part) to the plate half way between the blade and the pulley. I did it after the icestorm of '98 here to pull my chipper through the woods and be able to pull brush to the chipper. Now chippers have winches built in :) I have also welded a piece of heavy angle to a friends identical winch to accomplish a similar task. As far as tippiness or side loading I have had no problems.

farmer mark

I welded a reciever tube on to my 501 farmi.  When I unhitch trailer I  remove the hitch and only about a half inch of reciever sticks out thru butt plate.  Tongue weight of trailer is a lot less than one medium sized log.

gearman

I have an idea to use a longer bolt, thru the lower pulley, and the bolt would run through a piece of flat plate which would also have a hole to mount a 2" ball.  To reduce the bending force which would be applied to the bolt, when loaded, a couple 45 angle pieces back to the dozer blade.  Ill build a wood prototype and post some pictures.

Reddog

Going down hill with a heavy load on a trailer can push the 3Point all the way to the top. Which then can take all the load off the rear tires, then you are in for a ride down the hill. :o
Won't tell you how I know this :-X
At least dragging logs pulls down on the 3point. So I stick with dragging.

gearman

Thanks for the heads up on terrain concerns.  At this point, I want to use the trailer to haul firewood that has been cut to size (36-42 in).  I understand that a loaded trailer is a loaded trailer and that weight can push the tractor around.  The property Im cutting now is low and swampy without hills.  Im just north of Rogers City.

I have decided to weld a 2" receiver tube to some plate and bolt that to the dozer face of the winch.  Also, my trailer weight capacity is about 1/2 ton (5x7) utility trailer.

You are in MI also?

tyb525

If your 3pt has down pressure (some do, mine doesn't) going downhill is doable. As far as strength of the attachment, I'd say if it can drag logs, in can pull a trailer. Just remember, safety first!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ed_K

On my Tajfun I welded the 2"reciever about 8" up from the bottom of the blade.It buttes up to the bottom of the frame that houses the clutch and winch reel.I run a forestry trailer behind and a 18' hay trailer hauling larger logs 12-20'long.At times I have wished for a bigger tractor only for the weight to pull more.I did find that a 3k#tractor will slide down the hill real fast with more than a 1/2 cord on  :o .
Ed K

gearman

Im thinking of about 6" of receiver, welded to a 8"x8" plate, then welded to the dozer blade, as your is.  I also have that housing on the back of the blade, and about 8-10" up from the bottom edge of the dozer blade looks about right to me.  Did you give any consideration to the angle of the receiver.  Looking at my winch, when it is in the UP/Towing position, it is leaning toward the tractor.  In order for the receiver to be parallel with the ground, it would need to be mounted at a downward angle (equal to the angle of the lean of the winch, when in the up position).  A friend stated that "it shouldnt matter, since you are mounting the trailer on a ball, and the ball and hitch will level out regardless of the receiver tube angle to the ground". Any thoughts/experience on that?

DLMaine01

My Tajfun winch has a hitch built in stock. Kind of a tongue and pin affair. I use it with a four wheel trailer which removes the weight problem. Four wheel trailers can be a challenge to back up but when you get it down you will be proud of yourself  :) and you can pull the pin and go. My trailer is 16' and has yet to push me around when loaded. My tractor weighs in at 7k+ and I have only a few steep hills.
Dave

Ed_K

I haven't had any problems with the reciever being welded in flat to the bottom of the frame.It does angle some, my trailer hitch setup is a pin system so I can use a hay wagon to haul long logs.But I have hadf it setup with a ball type and a pintle hitch with a piece of flat stock with a big round hole to set onto the pintle.I haven't had a problem with the arms on the 3pt bending using the trailers but did bend one real bad pulling a 27" hemlock full length down hill around a corner.We pressed it out then welded a 2"x 3/8 angle on the inside and it hasn't bent again.New arm was 300+ so I hope it don't break from welding spring steel.
I tried to use the factory hitch but it was to high and I kept pulling the logs off the back when I went thru a low spot as I couldn't drop the winch down enough to get thru.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!