iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar - get your name in

Started by Coach, June 28, 2018, 05:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach

Between now and the Forestry Forum Pig Roast on Aug 4th, all who make a PayPal donation to the forum get their name put into a hat.  Donation of $10 gets 1 chance to win, $25 gets 3 chances to win, $50 get 8 chances to win.  This is not an auction nor a raffle.  It's a prize given to a donor.

Pics of the guitar.

I would have liked another few days to work on the finish, but no time left.  The finish isn't perfect, but pretty darn good (I was going to give the other guitar, but it was dropped a couple days ago).  

The guitar will be mailed to Jeff in about a week, so it's in his hands by Aug 4th.

hackberry jake donated the Osage Orange for the back and sides, and I supplied the rest of it and did the building.

I will post a sound clip later today.  Is responsive and has a very clear voice, very Taylor like.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Maybe Jeff will Banner this post for better viewing.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

moosehunter

I think this is an awesome thing for Coach to do and an incredible guitar.
Thank you Coach for making and donating it!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jeff

Coach's plan is for me to keep track of amounts and names for him posted to paypal so he can determine who gets the gift. If you want to be eligible, but don't do paypal or creditcard, you can send a check to the Forestry Forumm but make sure you note you want to be included for the guitar.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Peter Drouin

Why would one send you a check if not to get a chance for the guitar?
I like the looks of it and might buy some tickets my self.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 04, 2018, 07:01:30 AM
Why would one send you a check if not to get a chance for the guitar?
Good question. How many answers would you like?
We take care of a few member websites that may be sending in hosting fees, and on the rare occasion someone might be sending a commission for something they sold. I also do work for other clients outside of the Forestry Forum on web stuff. There are times a person sends something and I don't know what it is for. Sometimes, as in forum members, unless they include a member name, I don't even know WHO they are. So, asking to include why your sending something is to help keep my feeble mind straight.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I didn't 'cause my name is in da pot.  I am also looking forward to hearing @Coach strumming on a sound clip video.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Do ya'll realize how many hours went into creating this work of musical making art?  I've been hesitant to say anything but there are only FOUR different individuals that have a chance of getting this gift from Coach so far.  FOUR.

LaneC

Just saw this, and thought about it. I absolutely can estimate how many hours that went in to it. That would not begin to describe the feeling of the what and why this guitar was made. I do not even know the Luthier personally, but can say this is a very nice guitar by looking at it and watching the build. I will be happy to do whatever I need to do to "sponsor" or whatever you call it to help someone get rid of said guitar. If I can just go to the paypal thing on the left and donate by credit card, please tell me that is all I need to do, and it will be done. Thanks for the web site and thanks for the work and craftsmanship of the guitar.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Jeff

That is all anyone needs to do.  Coach set the stipulations for this. This is all his idea and gift to the Forestry Forum and its members and I hate to see his work and passion come to one second of disappointment

LeeB

It is a beautiful piece of work and even though I can barely play a radio I would still like to think I might be able to learn how to make something less that noise with it. I've already donated what I can this this year by other means. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LaneC

Man makes plans and God smiles

Coach

Update.

Shipping to the US was quite costly, so I sent the guitar to one of the CDN members, Sheepkeeper in Ontario.  He'll be bringing it to the Pig Roast where the draw will take place. 

Coach

The only sound clip I managed to record.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=x6Lq3DLI1XA

I think I did mention in that other thread, that I ran out of time with this.  I would have liked a couple more weeks to work some more on the finish, but it is what it is.  Certainly nothing wrong with how the instrument sounds, but it could use some more coats of finish.  

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Im looking forward to the chance to play it before it finds its way to its new lucky owner.  We are getting a few more entries in. There is a real good chance for those entered so far! Two weeks left to get in the running for Coach's gift!

Hilltop366

I'm in, so hopefully the guitar will have to come back to Canada.

Thanks to Coach for this wonderful gift, his hard work and Forestry Forum support!

Jeff

There are currently 84 chances in coaches drawing. If you sent something in, you can figure out how many of those chances are yours. That is some pretty good odds of getting the guitar, so those looking on, time to get in! We'll add  chances for the guitar right up until we draw for it at the pigroast. You can get your name in on it there as well.

Jeff

goose63

Well I have my name in the hat now I have no idea what I  will do with it if I win as I kick my self out of the shower when I try singing  :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Coach

The guitar arrived safely at Sheepkeeper (Richard). He's planning to be there on the 3rd. Thanks for doing this Richard and saving a pile of shipping $.    

Some info on the guitar.  The Osage Orange back and side wood was provided (or rather donated) by hackbarry Jake.  The top is Englemann Spruce, the neck is a Mahogany neck directly from Martin guitars.  The rosette, fingerboard, and bridge is rosewood, and the binding is Walnut.  Finish is Tru-oil and the tuning machines are Gotoh.  It's a Dreadnought with Martin style D28 bracing and is very lightly built.   The top is around .108" in thickness and the back about .065".  With Osage being a heavy wood, it weights a touch over 4 pounds.

There is a hardshell case included and a Boveda humidifier.  I did send along a clear pick guard, the only one I had laying around.  Whoever wins this can stick it on, or get a dark one if they so choose.

And again, I have to say the finishing job isn't up to par for a custom guitar.  I would have needed another 2 weeks, but hey, it isn't too shabby.  

Someone will get a great sounding guitar and a case for a measly 10 bucks.  Good luck everyone.

Jeff

95 now.  :)

I'm really looking forward to trying to play the guitar the brief time it will be here. Who knows, someone at the pigroast may take it home with them. Many of the chances right now belong to people that have plans on attending.

Just Right

OK so I made a donation,  but with the problems I have with being musically challenged,  should I win auction it off to the highest bidder at the Pig Roast and give the money back to the Forum.  Literally I have issues with the OH IN / OH EFF EFF switch on the radio.  Enjoy the Pig Roast.  JR
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Thank You Sponsors!