iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snow Snake & Snow Flea pics

Started by chet, March 23, 2005, 07:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

I wasn't quick enough ta git dat elusive Snow Snake, but awfully DanG close. Da dirty bugger ducked down a hole at da last second.

I was able ta git a pic of some Snow Fleas while I was snake huntin'. :)  Thats a dime for reference. The fleas actually appear a lot bigger in the picture than they really are. Snow Fleas are about the size of a speck of black pepper.

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Fraxinus

I haven't happened to see any snow fleas for some time.  It sure would be nice to see them and this is sure the right time of year.  One sunny day several years ago, the snow in front of my house was black with them.  I never saw them there before or since.
Chet, do you belong to the ISA?  Ever go to the convention?  I went to the one in Montreal a couple years ago and Milwaukee a couple years before that.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

UNCLEBUCK

I have seen and know about snow fleas but am I falling hook ,line and sinker for the elusive snow snake? Is this a u.p. joke or is there really a snow snake?  I am stumped on this . There is snow fleas here but no snow snake ! It must be a u.p. joke like jackalopes in wyoming ? I have a stuffed jackalope from wyoming but its a taxidermist prank . Help !  :P :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

bitternut

Ain't never seen a snow snake but I did see a bunch of your so-called snow fleas this winter. Too be honest it was the first time I have ever noticed them and I have been around for quite a few winters. You are right about them being like real fine pepper. I did not know what they were. Is snow flea the proper name or is that just a local name? I caught a few and they do look like real small fleas. I will have to research them some. Maybe they are baby winter moths huh.

bitternut

Well I now know all about snow fleas. Google turned up quite a bit of info on them. Here is a link that tells all about them.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/eek/critter/insect/snowflea.htm

Now I am off to research snow snakes.

bitternut

Well Chet I found proof that thes snow snakes do exist. Here is a link to show all you non-believers.

http://www.naturenorth.com/winter/snwsnk/snwsnkF.html

pigman

Me thinketh the cabin fever is real bad up north this year. I hope the snow melts soon so the people can get out some.  smiley_computer_monitor
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

UNCLEBUCK

Oh yeah I been taken in by the U.P. fellers ,  ;D  thanks for the link pigman or I would be afraid to get out of my pickup at night when driving across the u.p. , but I will laugh when I stop in Wakefield,Mi to fuel up and I wont dare ask anyone about this snow snake ever again  :D :D :D

Furby

There is PLENTY of GOOD snow snake info here on the forum is someone does a search.

tnlogger

i,m with you bob sawdusttitas it is cause from extended removale of sawdust for the lungs and bloodstream. the only known remidy is the first day of sawing in the spring.
gene

etat

QuoteThere is PLENTY of GOOD snow snake info here on the forum is someone does a search.

Furby is absolutely right and probably the only best place to find out the TRUE facts about 'snowsnakes'. :P
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Texas Ranger

Uncle Buck, those Wyoming jack a lopes are phonies, west Texas, is the onliest place ya can find the real ones.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

asy

Did ya notice this:

QuoteManitoba has long been rumored to the be the home of the reptilian world's most elusive member, the snow snake! Thought to be circumpolar in distribution, the only other verified sightings of snow snakes (Serpentius niveus) come from halfway around the planet, in the Siberian outpost of Ophidiostok, near its renowned vodka distillery

Um...

Methinks the "Vodka Distillery" may have something to do with it...

Maybe that there Snow Snake can also write his name in the snow?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

WH_Conley

UNCLEBUCK, if yer gonna be in snow snake country make sure you have antidote, the Ky. variety of snow snake is extremely serious and requires antidote immediately
Bill

Paschale

Yeah, I'm thinking if y'all did a search on snow snakes, you'd find some interesting information.  I've been bit by 'em before.   ;)

Here's some good old resources on the infamous snow snakes right here on the forum.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=8080.msg110746#msg110746
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

SwampDonkey

Here's a cached article on your snow snake in the UP ;D

Long Link

I did see on the PBS show nature, a snake crawling across a snow field in Tibet, but it was under the warm summer sun. Wish I had a video to share.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

submarinesailor

Where are the hip waders?  It's getting real deep! :D :D :D :D :D

UNCLEBUCK

Thank You swamp donkey and paschale for the letting me read your info on snow snakes and u.p. news .  I can now sleep good and wont be waking up in the middle of the night while being strangled around the neck by snow snakes . :o  :D

Paschale

You're mighty welcome, Uncle Buck.   ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

SwampDonkey

So that's what's been keeping you guys up so late. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dail_h

Y'all go ahead an laff an make jokes 'bout them snow snakes. When one of'em gits you,then we'll see how funny it is. Them things is cold an calculating
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

chet

pigman

Quote from: pigman on March 23, 2005, 09:39:05 PM
Me thinketh the cabin fever is real bad up north this year. I hope the snow melts soon so the people can get out some.  smiley_computer_monitor
Bob
you see I didn't say there was not any snow snakes. You got cabin fever because you were afraid of the snow snakes outside. :D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Ron Scott

Another "species of concern" is the "hoop-snake" found in the southwest and also in the dry sandy Baraga Plains of the UP. They're an indicator species of a warm, sandy habitat, some what opposite of the "snow snake" habitat.  :P

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!