iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snow... Needed a snow related project ! It's done !

Started by isawlogs, February 11, 2013, 09:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I have been looking at wood steamers for bending wood for a while and started to do a little more googlin', about it , then it hit me ... I got all what it takes to put one of them there thingys together.
  So then I needed a project. Seeing as there is snow , that gave me the idea.  A sled .. why not a tobogan.
I read about putting one together and most where saying to use green ash, as most know I am still on da learnin' part when it comes to English, I don't have green ash or ever heard of such a thing , I have white ash, and that is what will be used.  ;D  :P
I figured out what they ment by green ash..  ::)  I did a test run with my steamer and bent a few peices but also cracked a few, fixed the cracking with letting the peices soak in a barrel of water over night.
  Here are a few pics of the ongoing project...

First thing I did was make a form to bend and shape the peices of the to be tobogan.

This is the kettle I am using for steam. An old milk container with vaccum attachement, it has a ball valve releif if ever there was any kind of pressure build up, this is connected to the steam box by the plastic tube that the milk would of went through.

The steam box , slapped together with some pine boards ... only to find out it was too short for the lenght of slats I was going to bend  ::)  fixed with a little extention.  ;D

The slats in the form drying, tomorow I will take them out and start screwing things together.  :)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

First Poston,than Bibbyman and now isawlogs with a great idea. Those things are worth some money.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Wow, that is amazing!  I am going to enjoy this thread  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Very nice. I do believe I will keep a I on this one too.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Mooseherder

Nice snow project.
I would like to see it in action. :)

isawlogs

Great we have a volunteer to try it out  8) Will forward directions to ya Moose in short order!  I am making two um, so you will be test pilote twice.  :) 

Gotta love this place, a man receives offers before having to ask.  :snowball:
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

You're bringing back some good memories with this toboggan. :)
Nothing like speeding down a mountain at Winter Carnival with a bunch of your classmates laughing and knowing this ride could end up with some broken bones.  This was pre-helmet days.
I want the pusher position at the back.
Raider Bill can do the steering. ;D

isawlogs

Ya really want him as  the steerer...  move_it  You like living on the edge!  He's been so long in a tee shirt down by that  warm coast that once you get him all bundlled up and ready for da run he ain't gonna be able to move...
  Wait.....  Oh , I get the idea,  you want to push and make him beleive you're going to jump on with him, then once da pusher jump done, you're gonna sit back and watch.  smiley_smug01

Marcel

Tree Feller

That's a very interesting build, Marcel. I like the use of that milk can for the steam generator.   :)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

okmulch

Looks like a lot of fun. That is the build and the ride! I hope you can video it's maiden voyage for us to see.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

hardtailjohn

Looks great!! This is quite timely, as I'm just setting up to bend some oak sleigh runners for a few horsedrawn sleigh projects I'm working on.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

WDH

Marcell,

It will be hard for Bill to catch the toboggan on fire with all the snow  :).  You should be OK as long as it is winter  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Holmes

Quote from: WDH on February 12, 2013, 09:22:05 PM
Marcell,

It will be hard for Bill to catch the toboggan on fire with all the snow  :).  You should be OK as long as it is winter  :D.
Wasn't the bulldozer ALL METAL and he got it to burn?  Nothing is safe with Bill  :D
Think like a farmer.

WDH

One of the funniest stories that I ever heard, and it was all true  ;D.

isawlogs

I cried, my ribs hurt when I listened to him telling about that poor dozer burnin' story :D
  Danny,  I was thinking of the posibility of fire, then I thought about the snow.... Then the dozer came to mind it being steel and all. But I trust that Moose would help out some with not pushin' too hard.

Marcel

Mooseherder

I'm pushing with everything I've got before jumping on. ;D

SwampDonkey

Marcel,

Here I thought you was up there hibernating and you've been starting a toboggan business. ;D

That looks like a great steam generator. That's what you want is a small boiler. You don't need huge gallons of water for steam. Large volumes means more heat. ;D I like your former to, well thought out. And your bending looks like great success.

One little note though, if you make one end of the steam box with an small opening for extra long pieces, you can close the hole around the wood pieces with some rags. You only need to steam the end of the boards for the bends, not the whole length.

I have enjoyed your project....kinda a two for one deal. ;)

Now, who (for real) is gonna take her on the maiden voyage? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Brings back some fond and not so fond memories of using one....and crashing one!  :D

isawlogs

Swamp, I was going to bend the back end some but had a change of mind. I did have a few bend failures, but all in all it went good. I am happy with the out come, the ash I am using is far from being select....   ;D
I had help to saw the wood for this from SpruceBunny. She came for a visite and I put her to work  smiley_whip 
Norm, I have some great crash memories also.... Fence post and toboggans don't mix well..... smiley_crying

I'll put pics as I go with this. of the toboggan not da cryin'   smiley_smug01

I have no idea who's going to do the maiden voyage....  :P

Marcel

Mooseherder

We need someone with a big wide back in the 3rd seat so I have a big area to push on. :D

SwampDonkey

My ash here that I have bent was also not select. It was just mill run, except I picked the better looking pieces out. And yes, there are always bending failures even if the grain direction looks perfect. Some pieces will also be stiffer than others. I've bent some that would bend like a hot piece of plastic, hardly any resistance. And others where a bit more effort involved. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

If you put someone in the third seat.. Where are you planning on jumping on.... Ya might be able to con talk Fish into coming up here and trying this out with Bill, he could keep da fire bug in check.. I'll sit back and watch and record  ;D :snowball:

Marcel

isawlogs

Todays mission is a trip to the hardware store.. screws, bolts, pull rope ( was going with 1/4 but seeing the mayden voyage trip ) I am going with 3/8`and some floor wax.

Marcel

beenthere

QuoteI have no idea who's going to do the maiden voyage.... 

Why, a maiden of course. Look for one at the hardware store........ ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lowpolyjoe

Great project!

How long did you leave the slats in the steamer? 

After sitting them in the bending jig, they are supposed maintain the bend without anything holding them that way?

Thank You Sponsors!