iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Wireless Remote

Started by rmack, March 20, 2012, 11:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmack

still thinking things to death. ;)

I'm looking for feedback from people who are working with the wireless remote. still in flux but thinking about new lt40super diesel.

first thought was go with walk along controls for exercise, then read that the operator can work harder walking back and forth than offbearers. that started me thinking about having to do both jobs, as I plan to work by myself most of the time.

Does the wireless control give you the option of doing the offbearing while the headrig is returning to the beginning of the next cut?

Is it possible to effectively handle slabs, lumber with the remote strapped to you? can it be spun out of the way so you can keep working without putting it down?

seems like a really good idea if these things are possible... might make the difference between going new and used.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Dave Shepard

I'm running the Super Wireless and I wouldn't want to be without it. I offbear my own slabs and boards. I just slide the remote to the side. I don't like being right in the dust and noise, and the remote allows me to find a good spot to stand based on the wind direction. It does save a lot of walking as well. We've got the 24 foot extension, and I don't have to walk all the way around the mill to get to where I need to be.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bogue Chitto

I work by my self and walking back and forth is not bad.  I rather walk than off load lumber.  ::)

rmack

Quote from: Bogue Chitto on March 20, 2012, 01:21:49 PM
I work by my self and walking back and forth is not bad.  I rather walk than off load lumber.  ::)

:D I would rather be sitting on the deck of a yacht in the sunny caribbean, surrounded by volumptuous and entertaining ladies... odds are, I will be spending a lot more time piling lumber and digging sawdust out of my ears.

I think the opportunity for increased production with reduced workload is starting to become clear in my head.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Brad_S.

I don't own a WM or have wireless remote, but I do have a corded remote. (I think it would be about the same as what WM calls "command control"?) Even that is a huge time saver.
While the head is making a cut, I can stack lumber, deal with slabs, lay down another layer of stickers or just talk with the customer about what I am doing if they are interested or getting further direction from them rather than wasting time walking back and forth with the mill.
I wouldn't go back to a mill without some form of remote capability.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

red oaks lumber

i have a ride along chair, with the drag back feature you can saw one whole log then get off to stack lumber and slabs.i looked at the remote control but, for the extra money and limited mobility(stacking ) while sawing i just couldnt see the value. take the extra 3 grand that you would spend on remote and buy a sharpener and setter, now thats money well spent.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

stavebuyer

I have an LT70DCS with remote joysticks. Does everything but cook lunch... but it won't run without your hand being on the joystick. It will work a good crew into the dirt but it's slower than a non-remote mill if your to working alone.

rmack

thanks for the replies, I have decided to drive the 2 hours to the WM dealer tomorrow. will find out the particulars.

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

JVK

I had the wireless remote put on the new LT50 with the big diesel and really glad I did. Dave Shepard was right on with good points about it. I think the factory has to install the unit, as doing it yourself later might not be possible. I have just over 30 hrs on the new mill, so you can draw all you want of my vast knowledge and experience. As far as keeping the control strapped to your body and moving slabs and lumber at the same time will take some getting used to. The two joysticks are quite sensitive and are easily bumped, possibly causing the sawhead to go down inadvertantly or some other minor disaster.

I just set it down on a sawhorse when offbearing. It's nice to be at some distance from the noise and fine sawdust. You get more of a wide angle view of the whole operation.  Jim

pineywoods

One thing you might think about on the wireless. I have wireless remote on an LT40. Without setworks, which I don't have, I find it more trouble than it's worth. With even the simplest of setworks I can see where it would be very desirable.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

rmack

maybe some imaginative sort needs to design a waist belt, perhaps with shoulder straps, with a track on it so the remote could be easily spun around behind you while offbearing etc.

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Dave Shepard

I push the red e stop button if I'm going to hop on the fork lift, otherwise I just swing the remote to the side. The remote may not be the ideal situation for working alone, but it's better than not having it. I had a wonky speed pot on the remote last year. I stopped sawing until I got it fixed. ;) There are two clips on the back of the remote for a waist belt.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!