iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a New Kiln - SIPs anyone?

Started by PA_Walnut, November 05, 2017, 07:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

Apologies if this has been covered, but my 4000BF (2HP) dehumidifier kiln has arrived, so planning my build asap.
Was thinking about getting some SIPs to drop in to expedite my build and give me tighter insulation.

Anyone down this path before me? Any considerations? Thx
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

An SIP would be fine.  Make sure it will withstand 150 F, that it insulates as much as or more than a 2x8 insulated wall, that it is impervious to moisture- -vapor and liquid, and that it is worth the extra cost compared to DIY.  Keeping joints tight can be an issue.

SIP = structural insulated panel
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

jtcweb

My house is built from SIPs.  There is no problem with the joints being tight as a 2x6 (assuming 6" panel) gets glued and screwed in each joint.  They have almost no air infiltration so make sure you plan for any airflow you need.  However it is fairly easy to cut another (or bigger) hole if you need airflow.  I don't know how well the OSB will hold up over time if you have periods of high RH.  You might want to cover it with some kind of sealer.

mike_belben

Current SIPS might be better than the building i just looked at, it was built in 1993 and the owner didnt flash some corners.  This was basically foam between two sheets of tin like a metal door.  All exposed foam was badly degraded from sun.  Im sure it'd have been fine if flashed properly.  Just something to keep in mind if you use them.  Current stuff might be totally different.
Praise The Lord

PA_Walnut

Thanks. I think I'm gonna do conventional methods. The SIPS seem good for large projects, but not sure the cost:benefit ratio is there for mine.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Blackhawk1

My home is a SIP panel home and I feel SIP is a good way to go. I have two friends with SIP panel homes and they have no problems. SIP's are available clad in aluminum, this could be an option instead of OSB, as for heat they should handle it as the SIPs are designed for attic use and attics will get over 150 and the side facing out will be over 150 here in TX. Just my two cents. Going back I wish I had made my kiln from SIPs, it is wood and steel purlin with spray insulation.

with
Quote from: jtcweb on November 28, 2017, 02:14:34 PM
My house is built from SIPs.  There is no problem with the joints being tight as a 2x6 (assuming 6" panel) gets glued and screwed in each joint.  They have almost no air infiltration so make sure you plan for any airflow you need.  However it is fairly easy to cut another (or bigger) hole if you need airflow.  I don't know how well the OSB will hold up over time if you have periods of high RH.  You might want to cover it with some kind of sealer.
Doug Caroselli
512-738-1770

C_Miller

Using SIP's will get you drying sooner and when the electric goes up will save you money there. There will be no heat transfer through studs and the conventional will change shape as the studs continue to dry.

CJM

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Be careful that the panels are designed for kiln temperatures and humidities.  The joints also must accommodate the wide temperature changes.  With the sun shining, non-white color so solar is absorbed, and the internal kiln temperature, the panel can get really hot.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

K-Guy

SIPS are fine as long as you follow Gene's advice. I have a customer who built his kiln with them 10 years ago and it's still in great shape. :)
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Brad_bb

This is an interesting concept.  I know a sips installer who usually has scrap cut offs from each job. You could spline those pieces together to make bigger wall panels.  I'm going to talk to him about it.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

longtime lurker

Gotta get the I right.

SIP's were my first choice for a kiln chamber but all the prefab panels here were based on an open cell styrene type foam. You really want closed cell foam for kiln panels.

As always the devil is in the details.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!