iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS462 CM in Canada!

Started by HolmenTree, November 04, 2018, 08:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olcowhand

Ed,
You specified -40 degrees C, but what is that in "F"? (Old Engineering joke......).
I much enjoy your intensive testing of these Stihls, as you probably put more wood chips through one in one week than I do in a year (In fact, I think it was one of your posts that convinced me to get my MS461, and that saw is a beast...).
Be careful out there.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

ehp

ya LOL, -40C is about the same as -40F or another word is its dam cold , wind is to be 50 mph tomorrow so Im sure bad blowing snow

MG2186

Don't like what the 572 has to offer I take it? Thanks for answering

ehp

I run what ever I feel works best for me and my business , if Walmart built a better saw than what I had I would buy it , I do not care what brand or make it is , if it makes my life easier and makes me more money I will own it . The 572 Im sure is a great saw but im very happy with the 462 .

So ran both the 461 and 462 today in -40 c temps . No question the 462 is ALOT smoother on the hands , its lighter and nice to run . Ran the ported 461 today as well . Had not run it much in about a month and all I can say is WOW that thing sure moves ;D

MG2186

Makes sense, how long before you port the 462 after running your ported 461?
How many saws do you have at your access any way

FloridaMike

Thanks for the 1st hand reports!  Sound like the MS462 CM is a "keeper."  I think they should start showing up here soon.

I wonder when the 500i will hit Canada (at least six months to a year before the US most likely)?
Mike

ehp

Im thinking about a year before I see a 500i , just came out with the 462 so it should be a while before the 500i shows up here,

Lets just say there is more than a few saws in my inventory , Dolmar makes a good saw to

MG2186

ehp

Guy here that cuts a lot of firewood and is mainly a husky guy bought a new 462 a couple days ago and is pretty happy with it

ehp

I talked to the stihl dealer I worked at before and they got schooled last week on the new 500i so its coming

ehp

newest 462 is a part now waiting its turn on the operating table , It will be a bit before I get it done as got so much other stuff going on, logging, other saws to do but Im hoping in a week or so I should know how much I slowed this 462 down :D

ehp

its so wet outside here you cant even think about cutting trees so took a look at the 462 this after noon, Stihl did their home work on this cylinder , port timing is about where you would want it , cylinder plating ends up where the combustion chamber starts so I hope guys seen that before cutting big time on squish band as not a lot of play room before top piston ring has nothing to run on . intake port area is very small but we can change that . Piston is not light but not as heavy as others . So will put piston on a diet

ehp

462 arctic is to show up tomorrow I have been told , hope it runs as well as the other 2 normal 462's

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ehp

already got it  and yes its the third one , nice saw to cut timber with . been bucking the trees into logs with the 461's

MG2186

How'd porting go on them, did you achieve big gains like you get from other saws

ehp

did you not read on all the other forums  that the 462 does not take well to porting . :D. It's kind of like lots of builders will not port the 365/372 XT's cause that engine platform will not stand up . I have not had a single crank bearing problem nor have guys that log with the ported 365/372 XT's , Bob has had the longest running xt I have ever built and its still going and it has cut for I think now 7 years and he is a logger, takes good care of his stuff. I built him 2 xt's and he put the other on the shelf when this one finally lets go, I use the limited coil and that's huge for a saw running everyday , even on smaller saws I really donot want to see the rpms above 14,000 to 14,500 out of the wood and that's where the limited coil helps a lot , most ported saws will turn a lot higher rpms than 14,000 , lots are near 16500 to 17,000 rpms out of the wood , ya it make sound cool but that's really hard on the rod and crank bearings , same thing with everyone saying a ported saw has to have 225 pounds of compression , that's really hard on crank bearings as well . I like 180 to 185 pounds of compression  

joe_indi

Do the 462s come with ventilated clutch drums?
When we got them here for field trials they had them

JJinAK

Not trying to hijack the thread, but has anyone heard anything about when the 462 might hit the US?  I'm really surprised we haven't seen it yet.  And nothing that I can find on the StihlUS website.  It's like the worst kept secret ever....

I really want to take a close look at one when (and if) they do arrive, and possibly swap out for my 461.
MS461
MS362

HolmenTree

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JJinAK

I guess I'll have to look harder!!

Thanks Willard.

J
MS461
MS362

ehp

marsolais

Picked up my MS 462CM yesterday in North Carolina. Was going to break her in tomorrow but 80% chance of rain. So that's not going to happen.

ehp

it takes a while to break in , first one took I'm guessing 30 tanks to fully get up on power

MG2186

Well I did read that but you're not on other forums and you seem to have a lot better perspective on saws than most so I was just wondering is all, sorry to ruffle you up. You're the only guy I've ever heard that actually likes x-torque 372/365's and has good results with them

Thank You Sponsors!