iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice needed on gasoline welder/generator

Started by Saki, October 11, 2005, 11:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saki

Howdy all. Am looking at a hobart welder generator outfit. Is powered by a 2 cylinder wisconsin engine type TJD2. Has welding leads and  2 220 volt and 4 110 volt power outlets. Machine is in running condition, although it needs some exhaust work. Unit is on a homemade but decent trailer. Tag says it has 100% duty cycle. Also has electric start. Wisconsin motor has a tag that is separate that says motor 3&1/4 X 3&1/4 which I am assuming is the bore and stroke.Would this unit be worth 500 to 600 dollars in running condition?

Anybody familiar enough with it to know if parts are still available?

Anybody had a unit like this with good or bad info to share?

Input much appreciated - Thanks in advance.

WH_Conley

I always prefered a Miller but a Hobart is ok, same machine on the new ones, parts will interchange, on some models anyway.

Wisconsin is dependable but expensive to work on, locally here anyhow.

Check the company website and see if they list parts or call the local welding supply place for a starting point.

Put it under a heavy welding load and see if the motor pulsates, will give you an idea of generator condition, motor should run steady.

If everything checks out and you don't want it at that price, let me know. ;D
Bill

Dank11

Hey!
I think I sold an electric start version in VGC about 10 -12 years ago for $1500
so 5-6 should be a very good price
Good luck

Sprucegum

The older Hobarts were a very good quality machine. Only recently (5 years?) have they been down-graded to home consumer category.

The trailer alone is probably worth 2-300 bucks, you can't go wrong :D

D._Frederick

The Wisconsin engines are a good power plant, but you need to keep the air cooling system clean. Around here a number of engines were burned up by mice building nests in the engine. If the engine has been over heated, they will burn oil.

Hobart use to build well designed equipment, I don't know the the quality today. Take along a couple of 220 volt 4000 watt space heaters and see if the engine and generator will handle this load. Make sure the voltage stays in the 230-210 range.

If it handles the load- buy it!

Thank You Sponsors!