iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Waste not, want not

Started by Geoff, July 23, 2002, 08:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

After much consideration, I think I actually may have an intelligent question to ask.   8) Likely covered somewhere else in the forum, but here goes...

SLABS...

We tried a few things.

1) Pile and forget.  Well that just meant a big pile.

2) Pile and hope to burn in the woodstove.  It's cold up here north east of Toronto, but not that cold.  Thought about an outdoor furnace, but the economics are simply not there.

3) Strap & sell.  Hard to get folks to come by and pick them up.  The pile keeps ahead of the people.  Supply exceeds demand.

4) The latest effort is placing them in a rack, and chainsawing them into 16" long bundles and strapping with nylon banding.  Hoping to sell as campwood.  Kind of kills the one-man show philosophy when I have to spend so much time dealing with this process.

Any help out there would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff

Tom

I've no answer but I think you are on the right track Geoff.

Stove Wood, small kindling like firewood for urbanites to burn in their stand-alone fireplaces in their apartments is a real hit down here in Florida.  Most, if not all, is split round wood but is sold in ricks or bound in Saran like plastic in quantities that would make one or two fires.  What would amount to a healthy double armload will sell for $7 to $15.  The grocery stores are buying it from Mass Producers but there is plenty sold on the side of the road by individuals.  My sons split wood and cut slabs for $70 per pickup load, filled level to the top.  They seldom were able to park the truck and sell it like they wanted because people would yell at them to follow them to the house.

I think Presentation is the most important part of it.  These folks aren't looking for a woodpile,  just a couple of fires for atmosphere.  It's the die-hard heat-by-wood folks that want the truckloads. Perhaps a red ribbon would work instead of the Plastic wrap.

woodman

Put up a sign FREE FIRE STARTING WOOD
Jim Cripanuk

Bro. Noble

we are fortunate to have charcoal kilns in the area.  We get $176 for a semi load and pay $100 to get it hauled.  At least it gets rid of it.

We tried selling it,  but firewood is cheap here.  One local mill advertises tie cutoffs for $15 for all you can put on your pickup.  When we did sell slabss for firewood, we put three bands on a bundle(8'),  held them over the buyers truck or trailer on forks, cut off the ends (outside the bands) and then cut between the bands.  You can cut it up fast this way if you can get a good enough price.

We have a wood furnace,  my parents have a fireplace, and my son a wood stove.  We leave a trailer parked by the cutoff saw and throw anything (trimmings)  in it that makes handy firewood.  We get all we want in as short while.

Sometimes we use bundled slabs to put in a ditch while logging to make a temporary crossing.

I saw a local mill owner had lined up bundled slabs to make a fence along his lane.  It makes a really effective fence but really ugly.

The only other way I can think of to get rid of them other than burning them would be setting them out by the road----sooner or later somebody would probably steal them.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ARKANSAWYER

Pine and cedar slabs I sell to a chipper,  I could sell my hardwood and hickory to the charcoal plant but they do not like them as to much bark and no wood.  Said that DanG  toy of mine cuts them to thin.  I live in the hills so I put them about half way down to the dozer deck to help with errsion. (like we have dirt any way)  We do burn a few of them.  Have thought of getting a large chipper and makeing mulch out of them.  Always the hot dog roast.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Paul_H

We lay our slabs along the road beside our sorting yard as free firewood for locals,campers,and hunters.We would like to process and sell them, but people want proper cordwood,and they are too thin.
If there was a chipper in the area,it would make a great landscape mulch.

I like the idea of firewood bundles for campers/urbanites,but everybody and his dog are in the firewood biz around here :-/

Tomorrow,we'll bundle some up and give it a try.It can't hurt.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bibbyman

Maybe when Don Laskowski gets his Stirling engine electric generation plant into production we can each buy one and produce electricity to be used to power our house and mill and sell the excess back to the electric company. 8)

Here is a web site with more info.

http://www.gatheringweb.com/entre_giving.htm
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Geoff

I have been been drooling over the cogen plant for some time.  It's the main reason I haven't gone with an outdoor furnace.  I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS THING!!  Think about it, kiln power, lights etc.

Geoff

Sawyerfortyish

Our slabs come off the mill and through a cornell slab saw and in a dump truck cut in 16" length we dump them in a pit with a floor sell what we can to campers for 5.00 a pickup load and grind whats left into mulch. It will take a while to get back our money for the equipment but you got to get rid of it some how

Bibbyman

Sawyer40,

Can you tell us more about your slab saw? Cost, how it works, etc.  Is it something that could be worked into a Wood-Mizer size operation?   Got pictures of it?
Sawing since '94

Frank_Pender

Hey Bib..., I sent Don an E-mail after I went to his sight the other day.  The response was that they would be out sometime around the middile of 2004.  I, like you, can hardly wait myself.   I offered too set up an experimental site, here on the West Coast on the farm, as well as to have one sent to my son for his Missionary work in Haiti.  ;) He (my son Michale) already has a Woodmizer mill at the site.   They have to use a diesel fired generator only during special times throughout the day and very little evening use.   Michale is working with the FLO program.  They have been heavely involved in a reforestation tree nursery program, also.  so, 2004 cannot get here fast enough. 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Bibbyman

Hay Frank,  what site are you referring to?  One other than the two I linked?  
Sawing since '94

Sawyerfortyish

Bibbyman I will try to get a picture of the slab saw  on soon. The machine has a 10' infeed trough with a 24" wide flat belt that feeds to a switch that stops the belt and makes the saw<a circle saw> cut the slab and drop on the conveyer.The bigest problem is the machine is three phase and uses a 15 hp on the saw and 5 hp on the hydraulic pump and 1/2 hp on the conveyer so if you dont have 3 phase  it's impossible to convert it over to single phase

Frank_Pender

Bib, the "gathering.com is the one I sent a messsage to Don.
Frank Pender

Mike_D

How much do you have? I know a mulching company in Michigan that will pick up slabwood with a log truck.

Ron Wenrich

Cornell hydraulic slab saw:  http://www.cornellindustrial.com/hss.htm

It can be used on any sized operation, also has options for single phase.  I haven't seen any used ones come up lately.

There are also hogs that can be used to reduce slabs to mulch or animal bedding.  But, the needed power can make the units pretty expensive.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Geoff

Thanks for the info.  I added the slab saw to the bookmarks & my to do list.  As for the slabs to Michigan, that's about a 7 hour drive, but it got me thinking, and I put a call into a bedding plant near here.  Just need to convince him to drop by.

Geoff

Ron Wenrich

That reminds me.  There are also shaving mills where you can reduce your slabs to shavings.

http://www.jacksonlbrharvester.com/shavingmills.html

I only saw this at one small operation.  He would take shavings to local pet stores, and was getting 35 cents a pound and that was 20 years ago.  He sold anything that was aromatic - cedar, sassafras, apple, etc.  

I've seen drying of shavings go from clothes dryers to heat lamps.  I've also seen shavings balers that make it much easier to handle.

For larger operations, you could go the poultry route, but they need it blown in.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodman

Ron just spred it on black top for a day, a sunny day and it will dry in 5or6 hours.
Jim Cripanuk

dewwood

Mike_D

Could you get me the name and location of the company in Michigan that picks up slab wood?

Thanks
Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Sawyerfortyish

Woodman better hope the wind don't blow to hard across that pavment

woodman

Sawer if it blowes on the street or the lawn it's less to clean up. :D   8) 8)
Jim Cripanuk

Thank You Sponsors!