iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calling all Nyle owners

Started by Gunny, September 07, 2005, 04:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunny

Well, we're almost right on schedule getting the new unit full and drying.  All the next year's lumber is air-dried or drying and we went to wire the fans today and found that we must be total idiots since we just couldn't figure out where the ground goes.

We have a new Nyle L200 and all the fan directions tell us is "Lead One" goes to one batch of wires and "Lead Two" goes to the other.  Okay.  But are we to assume that we wrap our ground to our Common (White) and splice (wire nut) them that way?  We guess that by "Lead One", they mean the hot (Black)?  Sure don't remember being this stupid last time we hooked one of these babies up.

Any suggestions from recent experiences?  We'd sure hate to blow our breakers; and reversing the polarity is a cinch, of course--just in case "Lead One" is supposed to be the Common (White). 

Duh...

oakiemac

Gunny,

Those fans are 220volt. There is not neutral and hot. You should have two hot or 110volt wires (probably 12ga wire) from your breaker panel. Make sure you are using a double pole breaker for 220volts.  Hook up one of the 110volt lines to the wires for lead one and the other to lead two. Then take your green ground and connect it to the little screw inside the box on the motor. You should be good to go then unless I have forgotten some thing. Also make sure you follow the wiring diagram for high voltage (220). I believe there is also a diagram for 110 but you don't want that as you will draw lots more current.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Gunny

Thanks for the warning, Steve--I'll be jiggered if we didn't run 110 lines--per the darned instruction sheet that came with them!  Like my old combat medic would say. "Day-gum it!"

I'm going to walk across the street tomorrow and eyeball those instructions again.  I'm sure we ran 110 to the fans out in our Trufant chamber years ago and can't believe I read the sheet wrong!  We've placed the chamber within an existing building (an old cottage which we picked-up when the resident left the area to move back to the city) so came right off that box with our wiring.  (And we did such a darned nice clean piece of work, too!)

Thanks again.  I'll be thinking about this in my sleep tonight.  "Day-gum it!"

Thanks also for the PM about sharing customers.  I had a bunch last
December buying up here who came from GR and Holland/Hudsonville.  I lost all my cyber-files when our system crashed back in May but will route them your way this time around when they email me or call again.  Best that way.  Hoping Jack Frost visits soon--the sled dogs deserve better than this tropical scenario we've had most of the summer this year!

Don_Lewis

The motors can be wired for either 110 or 220v but the overload switch is sized for 220v hookup. I think the instructions are clear and I will check them when I get to the office but whenever there is a question about anything to do with the installation or operation, pick up the phone or send a fax or e-mail or come by and visit.

Gunny

Good Morning, Don:

I think I posted the question here thinking your office would be closed by the time I got to the computer yesterday and hoped for a quick answer--I knew those instructions showed 110 hookup!

But my question remains the same--when connecting to 110, where's the ground to go--same place Oakiemac mentions (which makes sense to me)?

I'm not trying to circumvent you, just looking for insights since I'll bet some fellows run 110 and others 220. 

Don_Lewis

I have been to Ohio and back since Thursday so I missed this post. If you have an L200, the overload is sized for 220v. If you want, we can send you an overload sized for 120V in exchange but the better solution is to connect it for 220v. The ground just connects to the ground screw on the motor and the gorund lug on the electric box, not the neutral

Thank You Sponsors!