Sponsors:

rockler turning tool

Started by Tony, March 16, 2007, 02:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Saw this turning tool in the rockler catalog;

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=17354&TabSelect=Details
Hunter #4 Round Turning Tool     

Has anybody had any experience with it?? I'm  trying to upgrade my lathe tools.

Thanks, Tony    8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

metalspinner

So what tool are you trying to upgrade with this one?  I can't figure out from their desciption how this tool is supposed to cut.  Is it a scraper?  From the looks of the shaft, you cannot extend it too far past the toolrest.  It will probably really chatter.  The replacement inserts seem kind of high.  You can probably get them cheaper through machinery catalogue's.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tony

metalspinner, 

They claim that it would be used as a bowl gouge and

it would work "even on end grain" ??? ???  The catalog came

the day I tried to turn a bowl out of osage end grain  ::) and

I thought it might work ::).  As usual the FF is a good place

to ask my many questions and get good advice  ;D ;D

Tony  8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Fla._Deadheader

I'm fixin to make a few different shapes with Inserts for cutters. Gotta be good with Carbide cutters. Can't keep tools sharp with CR hardwoods  ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

low_48

The bad thing about carbide is that you can't get it as sharp as high speed steel. For a really good quality scraper you need a burr to make a good cut. It works just like a cabinet scraper, without the burr you get dust. I can't comment on this particular tool but I do know that some of the new insert profiles do have the geometry designed for cutting wood. Not like the old days of trying to use metal cutting inserts for woodworking.

metalspinner

QuoteNot like the old days of trying to use metal cutting inserts for woodworking.

I was about to post a link to a metal working supply house for inserts for that tool.  They are only $2-$3 each.  It may still be worth a try considering a replacement insert for the tool above is $20. ::)

www.kbctools.com

Item #RNMG-43  get'syou to the right page of inserts that look close to what is on the turning tool above.

Well, I just checked the link and they are under construction. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

JimBuis

Hi Tony,
I am not familiar with that particular tool. However, I don't like tools of that sort that require me to regularly buy replacement parts. Have you looked at Lee Valley's assortment of gouges? www.leevalley.com

I have bought several of their's and like them a whole lot. Those I can comment on.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Thank You Sponsors!