Started by Jeff, December 02, 2007, 06:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

Thanx Reddog I missed that
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Ive altered it. I'll go adjust it.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Patty

I lived with my brother when I was in college many MANY years ago. He grew rutabagas in his garden We had zero money, so dinner was sliced rutabagas fried on the stove (like fried potatoes) and Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.  :-X Hey, if you were hungry enough you would eat it too!

I was all about growing stuff in his garden until I came home one day and he was out there with a shovel. I wandered back to see what was up and found him burying a sack of dead rats.  :o   He explained that the lab he worked in had all these dead lab rats with no way to dispose of them, so he volunteered to take them with him. He figured they would be good fertilizer for the garden.  ::)     I didn't many rutabaga after that, I figured a bowl of oatmeal was just fine.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Patty on January 04, 2008, 01:34:49 PM
found him burying a sack of dead rats.  :o   

Now that there is funny....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Norm, did you ever get around to planting some rutabaga?

Magicman

A couple of years ago we were vacationing in the UP.  I kept seeing those signs advertising "pasties", so I ordered one.  I thought that it would be a sweetroll, doughnut, or something.  Boy did I get a surprise.  Darn thing was pretty good after I quit laughing enough to eat it.... :D  It was a little individual thing.  At least with the "Troll", you can cut it like you want.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

I sure did Jeff but to be honest it was not my favorite to eat. I tried it cooked several different ways but didn't like it well enough to plant again.

Jeff

I look at rutabaga as an ingredient. I don't eat it on its own merit.

We had Troll Pie Last Night.  We have some picky eaters here, so I left out the carrot and the mushrooms and it was STILL good. :)

Reddog

Quote from: Jeff on August 21, 2009, 08:59:12 AM
I look at rutabaga as an ingredient. I don't eat it on its own merit.

Wimps   :D

I eat them like mashed taters or roasted on the grill.

Weekend_Sawyer

Mmmman that looks great, can't wait to try it!

I like rutabaga's raw, cut up like carrot sticks. I also like the flavor they add to stews.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Norm

I'm wondering if I grew them right or the variety was right. I'll try them again just in case. :)

Reddog

Norm, you most likely did fine in growing them. They have a strong flavor.
Try roasting or grilling. It sweetens them up quite a bit.

Norm

Thank you, I'll give that a try!

Mooseherder

I always put them in my Beef Stew.  :)
Made a batch last week over the fire pit.  8)

Patty

When I was in college back in the day, my brother and I lived on rutabagas for what seemed like FOREVER.  My favorite way to cook them was to slice them real thin and fry them like potatoes. A good helping of Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top helped. 
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

crtreedude

Quote from: Patty on August 23, 2009, 02:59:32 PM
When I was in college back in the day, my brother and I lived on rutabagas for what seemed like FOREVER.  My favorite way to cook them was to slice them real thin and fry them like potatoes. A good helping of Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top helped. 

Just about anything fried with parmesan cheese on top is good.  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

We don't grind hamburg out of our Venison usually, we save what ever does not make steaks and put it into stew meat, which we use for all sorts of things. If we want it ground, we grind it right as we are going to use it. Today, this is just  diced venison in our troll pies, not ground.   :)   Should be good!

SwampDonkey

My mouth is watering. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

goose63

Food food food will you guys stop all ready I see this stuff I gota go eat by the time the snow is gone and I can get in to cut fire wood I am gona be to FAT
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Roxie

I see Harley showing a keen interest in the troll pie.   :D
Say when

SwampDonkey

He better not eat mine? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Quote from: Roxie on January 20, 2014, 05:52:46 AM
I see Harley showing a keen interest in the troll pie.   :D

The Kitchen is Harley's favorite spot. He gets much bigger and he'll be peering up on the bar.  He's just sitting there and you could see his head  :D

21incher

That really looks yummy Jeff. My wife makes great piecrusts and we love rutabagas. I see a Troll Pie or 2 in my future. Thanks for the post.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

pappy19

If you do not like the taste of regular deer burger, try having it ground with 50% beef chuck and 20% fat. It takes the gamey flavor right out and makes a big difference.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Jeff

We love venison burger, we just have a different way we like to do things. We grind when we need it, because we can. It's hard to un-grind meat.  ;) 

In my view, anyone that does not like venison burger does not like it because the meat was not processed correctly, and then it was probably over cooked. I've proven that to a bunch of naysayers over the years. If you throw tallow or silver connective tissue in the grind you get yucky meat.  We trim every little piece.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!