iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to make out of these logs...

Started by Ljohnsaw, March 28, 2013, 11:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

So I picked up these logs for free.  Redwood - the butt end of the biggest is just 17" x 16" and the top end of the little one is about 10" (inside the bark).  They are all between 8' and 9' long.  I got them for when I finish my mill so I have something to test on it. 

But I don't want to just make a pile of sawdust.  So, how about some ideas -

Cut all of it into 1x1 for stickers (4'+) for when I cut my real wood (or will redwood stain pine/cedar?)
Cut into some 6x6 or 8x8 sleepers and the rest into 1x1 to stack my real wood when I sticker it?
Cut some 8x8 or so and make a pair of Mare/Colts for timber framing? (or too splintery and soft?)

Or???
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Left Coast Chris

Since the Redwood lasts so well outside, I cut some into 2" live edge boards to make outdoor furnature out of.  Im saving it until I get enough to make several pieces.   I did skin the bark off so I will not have to deal with itching powder/slivers every time I handle it. 

The very small ones could make good decorative posts if long enough.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Magicman

Yup, I was think outdoor "picnic" table, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

francismilker

In my neck of the woods, redwood is extremely difficult to get even at the lumber yard special order.  When someone remodels an older higher class home they want 1x2's for using as drip edge on the roof.  It's nearly impossible to come up with and very expensive.  You may contact a local builder and ask if slicing into remodel dimensions would be lucrative.  You never know, you might net a good profit out of these simply making 1x2's.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: francismilker on March 29, 2013, 08:31:16 AM
In my neck of the woods, redwood is extremely difficult to get even at the lumber yard special order.  When someone remodels an older higher class home they want 1x2's for using as drip edge on the roof.  It's nearly impossible to come up with and very expensive.  You may contact a local builder and ask if slicing into remodel dimensions would be lucrative.  You never know, you might net a good profit out of these simply making 1x2's.

Ah, but alas, out here (in the northern part of the state), redwood is almost a weed!  Just kidding.   Lots of redwood here. These are from a backyard tree in a subdivision. They planted them 20 to 30 years ago as decorative. Looked nice when they were Christmas tree sized but when they grow up to 70 to 120 feet, with shallow, invasive roots, they become a problem.

This tree was panted in the back corner of a yard no more than 20' deep by maybe 60' wide. It had a 10' tunk left (by an arborist) for the owner to make a totem pole! It stands about 15' off the corner of the house.  I was amazed to see these down and all the fences intact.

So, this is just to say, this isn't "old growth" wood - by no means valuable.

It is very light so I could make some light weight yard funiture with it.  I was thinking, since it is rot resistant, I could have sleepers and stickers that would last quite a while.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

hackberry jake

I'll make you a deal. If you send them down here to Arkansas, I will dispose of them for you. Because I'm such a nice guy.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!