iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Irish Spring?

Started by RPeter, March 26, 2005, 08:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPeter

Anybody have any experience with using scented soap (Irish Spring) to keep deer away from newly planted trees?  I am planting 2100 bare root hardwood seedlings (7 acres) next week and would like to discourage the deer from eating them.  I have heard that the deer do not like the smell of Bar soap.  Anybody tried this?   ;D
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking."

Tom

I tried perfumed soaps, human hair, lights, radio, tinfoil hung on wire and a bunch of other stuff to keep them out of my garden.  Nothing worked.  An old fellow in the swamp where I cut, told me to "hang a new hide on the fence every morning and they'll quite that'.   I haven't done it but I can see how it would work. ;D

I find tracks where they stand next to the house and look into the windows.   One  stood at the back door the other night.  I guess he wanted in. :D

Timber_Framer

I've seen tracks right next to the dog's kennel ::)
Tom may be right try a 30.06 :D
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Woodhog

Dont know about Irish Spring soap, but I heard an interview on our Public Radio Network (CBC)
about this stuff and it was all positive....never tried it myself..

http://www.plantskydd.com/

Cedarman

Try a lead gate, but you have to keep it pointed in the right direction.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SwampDonkey

Tried the Irish Spring here on the apples and pears, didn't do any good. I think it attracted them.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HORSELOGGER

Probably just the Irish ones. :)
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

rebocardo

I have heard peeing around the property, along with shooting them is the only solution. If you don't want to kill them wing them with rock salt. Once they learn to recognise the click and rack, I am sure they will stay away as long as they are not starving.

I am sure a dog like a 110 pound Malamute with a seven acre long chain would keep them away  :D  I know mine pretty much killed or ran off anything within his domain including slugs, bees, ants, and anything else that fit inside his mouth. Though I never found a criminal in his mouth because most larger mammals bolt as soon as the door is opened.

Besides good eating, the only thing I know that really works is a very high 8 foot+ fence tilted outwards.

estiers

If you have dogs like mine, they might be worse than the deer.  Never seen dogs more interested in firewood than their food dish!!
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

SwampDonkey

My brothers dog chewed the bark of several newly planted apple trees  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OLD_ JD

aroud here to scare away "skunk" we use amoniac ;D...wonder if it will have same efect on deer ::)
canadien forest ranger

ohsoloco

My pup chewed all of the lower branches of a young crab apple tree at the parent's place  :( 

She steals scented bar  soap from the shower too  :D

Haytrader

RPeter,

I was all ready to answer YES till I read the part about the deer......

:D  :D  :D

We have a few deer around here and when I have horses around, the deer seem to stay on the neighbors.
Haytrader

Jeff

QuoteI have heard peeing around the property, along with shooting them is the only solution. If you don't want to kill them wing them with rock salt. Once they learn to recognise the click and rack, I am sure they will stay away as long as they are not starving.

I have been caught peeing out of my tree stand TWICE. Both times bucks and both times I killed the deer.

Pee is pee. And when it turns to ammonia, its a definite deer attactant.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

I've never tried it but have heard that monfilament fish line stretched up like fence wire works well.  The deer can't see it but can feel it and thus stay away.  Sounds like it might work ???  If a deer came running into a garden patch it might not work so well but since deer are usually sneaky....
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bitternut

Well I don't know about Irish Spring soap but in my neighborhood you will see small hotel size bars of soap attached to newly planted fruit trees. They must feel it helps or they would not spend the money having a couple of those little bars of soap tied on their trees. I have personally tried it on seedlings after they emerged from 5' tree tubes. I clipped a bar on each one using a clothes pin. The bar is left unwrapped so that they last longer. I bought a case of the bars from a local restaurant supply house. The brand of choice in my locale is Cashmere Bouquet. Can't say for sure if it worked or not for me. I think it just depends on how hungry the deer are in your neck of the woods. Here is a link to the kind of soap used.

http://store.yahoo.com/janitorial-cleaning-supplies/cpc14256.html

isawlogs

I dont know if this will help you any .... but there is a place that I go hunting , the farmer raises sheep , In the fall he spreads the sheep manure in certain fields ......   never the same one ,  the deer never go into the field that has manure in it .... A field that had ten to fifteen deer in it regularly , once this field has had sheep manure spread in it zip nata none of these deer came out ... they would go into the next field ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!