iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are you guys/girls ready for garden season? Have you ordered your seeds?

Started by hackberry jake, February 20, 2013, 11:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

These pics are from last year, but I figure you boys need some motivation to quit making sawdust and start making veggies  8)

The board along the top of the fence are mainly 20-22' white oak boards. Boy they sure were fun to man-handle. I ordered seeds yesterday from tomato growers supply. I got some cherokee chocholate maters, some royal hillbilly maters, some jalepeno both hot and "fooled you", got some bell pepper seeds.

If you fellars like peppers, I would suggest both the "garden salsa hybrid" and the "fooled you jalepeno". Those are the only two we grow every year. The "fooled you jalepeno" looks just like a jalepeno and tastes like one, but isn't even a little hot. The "garden salsa hybrid" has awesome flavor, and just a tad bit of heat... well unless theres a hard drought, then the heat goes up substantially. Happy planting  :)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Riggs

Good looking setup you've got there. I am looking at seeds but haven't bought any just yet.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

WH_Conley

I will be starting tomato and pepper seeds in the house about the middle of next month. I have a guy that has a greenhouse that gets his tomato stakes from me. We usually do a little trading every year.
Bill

Roxie

Say when

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 20, 2013, 11:51:55 AM
What does everyone use that's cheap and easy to hold beans up?

We just string up some wire between post.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

wildbill

Have fred cut you a bunch of that bamboo hes got all over the place, cut it to 6' and let it dry.  It lasts a few years.  Use parts that are 3/8" or thicker.  Ive been using store bought for a while.  Couple years ago i had 7' tall string bean plants and it supported them just fine.
Raider Bill's favorite son

beenthere

I had some lengths of concrete reinforcing mesh (like 5'wide with like 6 x 6" squares) that I put in the garden for beans as well as cucumbers to climb. I thought it was very easy to put up and very effective. Leaned it at about 15° and the beans and cukes hung down for easy picking too.

Those were back in the day when I had a garden... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DaleK

Haven't gotten anywhere with veggies yet, but the first 14 tons of corn and soybean seed showed up Monday.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WH_Conley

Bill

4speed

All my seeds are in. We started a bunch of seeds in our hoophouse this year, but some high winds knocked over the front wall and dumped everything out. I haven't had time to till up the garden either. Looks like another late start on our garden.

Leigh Family Farm

I just bought some seeds for pole beans, tomatoes, mint, cucumbers, and sweet basil. I plan on growing everything in containers on my balcony. I will start the tomatoes indoors in about three weeks.

Pipe conduit in a goal post pattern with strings hanging down works well. Also, if you have a small soccer net, thats almost ideal because the netting will support the beans.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

hackberry jake

Quote from: DaleK on February 20, 2013, 12:53:48 PM
Haven't gotten anywhere with veggies yet, but the first 14 tons of corn and soybean seed showed up Monday.
If I had 14 tons of corn and soybeans... Well, then I definately wouldn't have to grow any corn or soybeans this year  :D 8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

florida

Last year I planted a small cherry type tomato in a pot. it didn't get big but produced a lot of little maters. When it died I drug it outside and forgot about it. Last week happened to look out the back B/R window and saw that the dead plant had seeded and now there are 3 new plants all covered with maters. Easiest tomatos I've ever grown.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

MJD

Ordered seed yesterday, gurney had 50% off anything in the catalog.

Thank You Sponsors!