iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dum du, dum du,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Started by Texas Ranger, July 30, 2005, 10:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

So much for swimming in the Ocean around here!!!!

OCEAN SHORES, WA

While the ocean vessel 'Dawn Raider' was commercial fishing for dogfish, this Great White was hooked in the mouth but only resisted slightly for 15 minutes before it came up alongside the boat to have a look; long enough for one of the crew members to slip a rope around it's tail !!! 'And that's when the s**t hit the fan!!. The Shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water at about 7 Knots.  Just like in JAWS, the boat was taking on water over the stern and the crew watched in horror as the shark would actually jump completely out of the water at times. This went on for an hour before the shark finally drowned. She weighed in at 1035 LBS. It is suspected she followed a weak El Nino current into local waters in search of food.  Although mid 60 degree water is considered ideal for these sharks, the larger ones can tolerate water in the low 50s.

dum du, dum du, dum du...............................
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jodi

Wow, that thing was a monster!  :o smiley_speechless smiley_anxious

sawguy21

Towed backwards by a 1035 lb shark!!! HMMM and that shark was not even supposed to be there. Bet those fishermen wake up whimpering for a few nights.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

etat

Did I ever mention the time I went fishing and uh and uh yeah, I hooked this big ole fish, must of been twice the size of that one and then when I started to try to drag it up into the dang boat it.................

Well, you probably wouldn't want to hear the whole story anyway!!!!!!!!!!

HI EVERYBODY! 8) 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Frank_Pender

Well, CK, looks as though the fish did not take you in. :D  Welcome home.
Frank Pender

Ed_K

Hey CK gald to see you got the puter going  8).
Ed K

Teri

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure did miss ya.  ;D

etat

Yaaaaaaaaaa.  I'm BACK!!!!!!!

thaks frank, it's been a long time since I've been took in by a fish!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

ScottAR

Not buying... a shark can only pull about 1/3 of its weight...  a 42 foot boat weighs more than 1000lbs.  I saw it on shark week so it must be true.
  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

crtreedude

Perhaps MegaMouth was snacking on this shark and pulling the boat.....
So, how did I end up here anyway?

dail_h

Hey CK,
    Man,I'm glad you're back,wuz beginnin ta think ya maybe had some uninvited company like I did last year.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Don R

Nice fish!!! I'm surprised at the story though. We used to fish for mako up off long island in my younger days. In fact we entered several shark tournaments out off of Montauk. They payed big dollars for several catagories, and it was a fun weekend. A lot of beer and lobster, clam bakes. At any rate Mako was the only edible shark and they are excellent eating. If you landed a decent mako you could call in on the CB radio and there would be a wholesaler on the dock ready to buy it. also the local restaurants would pay top dollar for the mako's. You could pay for a months fishing with one 400-500 pounder. We were of the understanding that mako was the only shark that would come up out of the water while hooked, in fact Long Island was infested with blue sharks which weren't worth a dime, so if we didn't see them break water after a while we cut them loose, rather than waste good fishing time on them. I'm really surprised to hear the whites can come out of the water also. well you learn something everyday. Gee I miss the salt water every once in a while.

Rod

That looks like a Mako shark in the photo

Fla._Deadheader

Gotta agree with ya, Rod. White's have triangle shaped teeth.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Riles

I'm with ScottAR, I saw the Mythbusters take apart the Jaws towing the boat backwards story. Musta been the submarine they caught in the nets...
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

DanG

ScottAR, they musta been talking about them Arkansas sharks.  I've had little ole 7 and 8 footers pull my boat around, and it was weighing about 5k with everything on it.  They were hooked in the mouth, too.  A tail-roped fish can pull a DanG sight more than a mouth-hooked one.  Now that being said, I seriously doubt that one was dragging a 42 footer backwards at 7 knots.  Sounds like a bit of embellishment going on there. ::)

Don R, Makos ain't the only shark that will jump.  Blacktips are famous for it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Quote from: Riles on July 31, 2005, 12:00:14 PM
I'm with ScottAR, I saw the Mythbusters take apart the Jaws towing the boat backwards story. Musta been the submarine they caught in the nets...

Yea, I watched that too. The boys at Myth busters pretty much destroyed the notions of what a giant white could do.  Towing that boat backwards at the rate as in the story would be a fabrication. I had a channel cat swing a pontoon boat around a few times though. 8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don R

Very interesting---- DanG where are these black tips, I don't recall ever running into one. Are they also edible.

Fla._Deadheader

The Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, has Black Tips, White Tips, Bull Sharks, Spinners, and a plethora of others. Hammerheads and Tigers to 16 feet are not uncommon.  ;) ;D ;D :D  They are nearly as big as our Gators.  ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tobacco Plug

Whooo!  Doesn't matter what species or what shaped teeth he has.  I don't want him a-nibbling on me! smiley_tom_dizzyguy03
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Daren

What Jeff said. I was in a little cove one windy day on a local lake in my canoe caving a ball catching bluegill, I wasn't the only one who knew they where there. I HUGE flathead catfish was in there getting them too. To make a long story short, he drug me out into the middle of the lake. I didn't know what I would do with him if I caught him but it was like Moby Dick. I only had 8 lb test and was sort of glad when it finally broke. I had a heck of a paddle against the wind to get back (300 yds, a long way in a 35 mph headwind in choppy water when your heart is already pumping)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

DanG

Blacktips eat pretty good, Don.  Hammerheads are the only ones I didn't care to eat.  Shark meat is really good.  Very flaky, very white meat.  I like it better than Grouper. :)

I ain't sure, but I think that "spinner" is a nickname for the Blacktip.

I don't know much about them "Myth Buster" folks, but they might be busting more than myths.  You can move a really big boat around by hand in calm water with no wind.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Riles

But can you pull it backward to the point water comes in over the stern? That's the myth part. They showed it was feasible a great white could pull the three floating barrels under water, just that it wouldn't be able to hold them down for any length of time. And that it could probably destroy a shark cage if it got up enough speed and was motivated enough. Even that it could do serious damage to a wooden boat. But forget about blowing it up with a scuba tank or pulling the stern under water.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!