iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Climbing

Started by tim1234, February 18, 2007, 04:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim1234

I've been looking at tree climbing equipment recently.  For 2 reasons 1) to trim the trees on my property (and have some fun) and 2) to have some fun with my kids.  Bought some books/videos from Baileys and have been studying my knots while it's cold out.  I'm looking to get a new tribe harness for my kids and for me, I've been looking at stuff in the Bailey's catalog.

Anyone got some advise on equipment (saddles, ropes, fliplines/lanyards etc).  I might get a pair of climbing spikes, but only if I have to fell some dead trees.

Thanks

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Jayson

I wouldn't consider climbing a dead tree. It is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!

tim1234

I understand.  Let me correct myself, dying tree.  It's a maple that is slowly dropping branches.  I'm not that crazy!!

Tim

Kevin

I do that!

New Tribe is probably a good recreation saddle, I prefer a heavier work saddle but you should really try one on.
If you have a Vermeer dealer close by they may have something as they distribute for Sherrill.
Don't be too hasty, your hitch can fail in a second if it isn't tied, dressed and set properly.
Start low and slow.

Kevin

Tim;
The tree climbers companion is a good book for someone starting out.
I wouldn't tie knots in the rope, just learn to use your hitch or use the hitch as a back up for a figure 8.
If you get into trouble there's no way fast to get down with knots in your climbing line..."bees" for instance.
The Blakes is a safe hitch but will lock up on you and become difficult to advance.
Try a 4/1 Distel or a Valdotain Tresse.
You can use a micro pulley to tend your hitch.
Starting in the basement is good but you'll want a little more height than that in short time.

tim1234

I've got the tree climbers companion, plus a book on knots and the priciples of general tree work.  I've read through them all.

I didn't see any of the knots you mentioned.  Is there a source that would describe how to tie those?

Tim

Kevin

The VT is on page 85 of the Tree Climbers Companion, the Distel is on this Sherrill link
http://www.wtsherrill.com/treetips/treetips.asp?idAtype=rec

The Schwabish would be another good hitch to try.

I'm climbing on the Distel, 4/1 or 4/2.

Kevin

The hitch cord can be a spliced eye and eye or you can make the eyes using a double fishermans knot.
The cord should always be smaller than the host rope.
Page 53 describes the traditional system and the split-tail which is very popular today.
They say that about the VT because it can react different if it's used in a way it isn't designed for and that's where people get into trouble because they don't know what they're doing.
If the hitch becomes inverted it could react differently.
If you are going to be sixty feet in a tree you want to know how your equipment functions and fails, one mistake is one too many.
That's the reason for learning low and slow.
You'll find a system that you become happy with after trying a few and then most likely stick with it.

Here's a good read on hitches from the Tree Buzz.

http://www.treebuzz.com/pdf/climbing_hitches.pdf

Raider Bill

Well after reading this and looking at the diagrams I've found out after all these years that I have been using a tautline hitch. Nice to know.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

PB Logging

There is a compnay called "arbormasters" look them up.  they offer some first rate climbing training, in 2 day seminars that is first rate and very affordable. 

Thank You Sponsors!