iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pricing lumber for woodworking

Started by Jacar, November 11, 2003, 07:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacar

I do a lot of woodworking, which is the main reason we bought our TK 1220 mill a couple of years ago.  For a lot of projects I cut the tree down, clean it, haul it, saw it, dry it, and plane it.  :-/ :-/ I do not pay for logs, so my only expenses are blades, gas, and wear and tear on equipment.   8) 8)

Is there a ballpark formula or rule of thumb to figure how much my lumber is costing me?  I use a formula for pricing out furniture based on the cost of the lumber in the project.  So far I try find out what the retail cost of lumber is, and then I price out my furniture.  Anybody have any ideas?

Jack
Jack Watkins

ARKANSAWYER

On average I buy logs for about $250 mbdft.   I saw for $200 mbdft.   I charge $200 mbdft to plane and if I take it airdried to a friend and he charges me $150 mbdft to kiln dry.   So I guess that if these prices are about the same in your neck of the woods then you got about the same coin in your wood.  There for you could guess that you have 80 cents per bdft in your lumber.  Over that would be profit.  Help any ???
ARKANSAWYER

solidwoods

Jack.
Your lumber cost for the furniture is whatever the street value of the lumber is. Or whatever it would cost you to purchase the same lumber.  If you mfr. the lumber cheaper, or with a proffit that is fine. Thats the milling business.  You mill wood and sell it to your self at street cost. If you proffit from milling fine. You quote the furniture,,materials labor.  Your proffit from the furniture just as if you purchased the wood form someone else.
What does your lumber cost?  At end of milling add the days and lumber.  Estimate the street value, (grade it/value it ), value of wood divided by # of days/hrs = income per day.

Green lumber ,Air dry lumber,Kiln dry lumber have different values!
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Jacar

Thanks Arky and Solidwoods,

I appreciate your input.  That brings things back full circle.  I think I can mill my own wood cheaper than I can buy it and have more control.

Jack
Jack Watkins

bull

Get a price list from a sawmill that is buying in Logs and start there.... grade your logs and use your best guess as to what you could make if you sold them ( Ballpark It ) Pine apx $250 per 1000, oak apx 850 per 1000 etc. then charge you self .20 per board foot for each milling step, sawing, sticking / stacking, planning etc.  Kiln drying cost between
.25 and .40 depending on how much you dry at a time and how efficient you kiln is.... good luck

solidwoods

Also, if you are getting average quality logs, you will need an outlet for the mid and low grade woods. High quality grades kiln dried are easier to sell, but sometimes the mid/low grades can back up on you and tie up your money.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!