iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodlot Features

Started by Deadwood, May 02, 2006, 06:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadwood

Today it was raining out so I decided to upgrade my website. In doing so I upgraded a webpage that listed some of the unique features of my family's woodlot. As I did so I thought this would be a great thread for the Forestry Forum, and a way for us to share some of the unique features of our woodlots.

I guess the most unique feature we have though is quicksand. It does not look like the quick sand that they show in the movies that's for sure, but my Greatgrandfather did lose a team of horses in it back in the 1930's when pulling out some wood.

It does not have to be anything exotic like quicksand though. I listed a family cemetery, a pond, a beaver bog, an old granite foundation and even some fields that we rent to some farmers.

So what are some of the unique features your woodlot has?

For what it is worth, here is that updated webpage I was working on today...
Unique Woodlot Features

crtreedude

Interesting thread!

We have springs - lots of them. On on plantation we have 7, and the other, 3 - at least. After all - we are in a rainforest...

I tend to discover more too. They have something here called "ojo de agua" or water eye (not, not watery eye!).  This is where the spring just comes straight up and raises a little bit of a crest. Some of them are huge - like meters across - but not on any property we own - yet.

Just ran out of room to plant this year - so we are going to buy another property. I have a line on several so this is interesting to say the least.

Fred
So, how did I end up here anyway?

woodmills1

I have 2 beaver ponds, an orchard, a private burial ground and 2 ancient cellar holes.  The entire property is stone wall bounded though it gets a bit thin on the north border.  The terrain is fairly flat in the beginning and slopes upwards to the highest point in my town 515' above sea level.  When viewed from vantage points in the area the tree tops however are level.  The high points grow scrubby twisted oaks from the constant wind, while the lowlands have giants.  The original part of the house is a 4 room colonial that probably dates to around 1830 with 2 giant horsechestnut trees that might date to the civil war.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

sprucebunny

Beaver ponds and a stream that goes underground depending on the flow.

The most interesting feature, I think, is that there is a divide ...kind of like the Continental Divide.... where the drainage goes to the Androscoggin River on one side and to the Ammonnusic(spelling) on the other side.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Sprucegum

My place has trees  8)

That may sound strange but I worked on the praire so long I was starting to think a big tree was anything higher than my head. Now I have spruce 80' tall and 20" DBH, some Tamarack I haven't measured yet, cottonwoods I can't reach around (who wants to hug a cottonwood anyway) and 200 feet up the bank I have a few jackpine and a nice aspen grove.

I also have a neat little bit of quicksand that I haven't stepped in yet  :)

slowzuki

Hmm, ours isn't nearly as fun but we have an upside down 1956 Belair that is becoming one with nature hehe.  We do have a pair of spring fed streams, cedar rail fencing from the 1800's around the entire property although it has rotted away in the wet spots.  Hmm, most interesting is remanents of an old road.  Barely visible in the woods but there is a 10 wide flat cut in the hill with rocks stacked to berm up the low side of the cut.  It passes through our property to the neighbours and continues into another neighbours backyard.

The official highway dates from maybe 1920 or so and before that the river steamers were mostly used.  I'd bet this was for some of the farms to get back and forth.  Oh and also, the original house that was on the property, the Cliff Home was an inn for travellers on the steam paddlewheelers.  The original grant of the land in 18 whatever was to a different fellow though, I don't think they stayed long.

Ken

isawlogs

I am cutting trees that my great grandfather left behind in the 40's for my log house , this place he got
from his dad that got it when the goobermint was giving land away for colonisation , the other farm is from my great great great grandfather on my grand mothers side , it is borded by the Gatineau river and has free roaming cows on it .. free roaming cause how ever you put fence around it they seam to always find a spot to roam out .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Bro. Noble

There's a sinkhole in our woods :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

crtreedude

Isn't that where the outhouse used to be...  ;D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom

oakiemac

We have muck dirt. It is very organic and will actually burn if a fire is started on the soil. We also have found old indian artifacts.
Not quite as neat as what some of you have.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Mr Mom

I have two oil&gas pipelines running through my place.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

breederman

I have a "crick" that runs across our property. It is probably thirty feet lower than the ground on either side of it.  It is around two hundred feet across the gully that it forms.  We also have a stone wall at the back line that is four to five feet tall and in as good condition as when it was built.
Together we got this !

KGNC

I have a pond, big rocks sticking out of the ground and lots of trees. At an elevation of about 3700'.
I'm also being surrounded by huge summer homes.  The worst part is the ones above me want to cut my trees so they can have a view.

Burlkraft

I have a hole I dug with tractor that fills with water when it rains :D :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Mooseherder

We dream about our woodlot everyday because it is 2000 miles away.
It has a small stream with extra small trout running thru it.  A good mix of Soft and Hard Wood.  The Wildlife is the highlight of the property.  Got video of a Canadian Lynx, Black Bear and Moose. Also seen coyote, deer and Partridge (Grouse)
An old Farm Junkpile on the edge of the field yields alot of interesting stuff.
Dug out an antique Pitcher Pump, an Old JD Potato Planter, sickle bar mower, a steel sled I think they used to skid logs out in Winter.
We make minor improvements with our limited time there and focus on the endgame.

slowzuki

Mooseherder, that sure sounds like eastern Canada, where abouts is your land?
Ken

Quote from: Mooseherder on May 03, 2006, 04:53:14 PM
We dream about our woodlot everyday because it is 2000 miles away.
It has a small stream with extra small trout running thru it.  A good mix of Soft and Hard Wood.  The Wildlife is the highlight of the property.  Got video of a Canadian Lynx, Black Bear and Moose. Also seen coyote, deer and Partridge (Grouse)
An old Farm Junkpile on the edge of the field yields alot of interesting stuff.
Dug out an antique Pitcher Pump, an Old JD Potato Planter, sickle bar mower, a steel sled I think they used to skid logs out in Winter.
We make minor improvements with our limited time there and focus on the endgame.

isawlogs

Yup I could of used those words too , to discribe our place .. omiting the 2000 miles away part .  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

Slowzuki,  We are neighbors. The township is called Cyr Plantation, nestled in between Van Buren and Caribou . I have played hockey in your part of the woods in Grand Falls and St. Lenard. 

isawlogs, I have been to "la-bose" before.  Je  te  ala confessional.

gary

Mooseherder  My wife is orinally from Hamlin Me. I spent 3 years there. It was nice up there.

Deadwood

What is it with this area? My Grandmother was born in Fort Fairfield, and I still have relatives that live up there. I just wish I had better memories of it. The last time I went up there, I got my snowmobile stuck three times, ended up walking 3.3 miles to the Limestone Boarder Patrol who almost arrested me...

Mooseherder

Wow, We almost bought in Hamlin.  It is a beautiful area.  Chances are, we may know each other.

Deawood, Next time you go up there.  Bring your 4 wheelers. Incredible trails!
Glenn Cyr

pappy

Well where do I start???  From the road going back I guess

we have our driveway
rock foundation (100 years old) which our renovated house sits upon (2nd house.. 1st. one burnt 75 years ago)
woodworking shop
left over section of barn used for storage
road going outback crossing small brook
open area with sawmill on left with assorted jags of logs -  cedar - pine - fir - and 10 or 12 wacks of assorted sawed lumber on the right
road continues past a LARGE tamarack (would make great tree house tree for the grand kids)
cross ATV / snowmobile trail
8 + - acres of tree farm mostly white spruce with some tamarack and 50 - 60 Christmas trees in different stages of growth
road continues out into 38 + - acre wood lot w/ red and white maple - white and red spruce - gray and yellow birch -
down heart beat hill pass backhoe dug hole -- failed attempt at spring hole  ::)
bottom of hill road flattens out into white cedar swamp and crosses bridge over decent size brook
pass vernal pool on right w/ many many frog eggs
after a couple curves in the road and you're at camp "Outback"
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=7671.0
in the vicinity cross country ski trails - three BIG white pines - one you need one and a half people to put your arms around  ;D
cross railroad tracks to 3/4 acer lot on the bank of the beautiful Fish River with BIG white spruce and BIG balsam fir with soon to be fire ring and slab wood pic a nic table
all in the beautiful town of Wallagrass Maine   smiley_thumbsup

Lots a Cyr's up this way... Glenn I bet I know some you know dat I know dat you know???    ;D

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Riles

My retirement homesite supposedly has a Civil War era gold mine on it. Looks like a big ditch with some really big boulders in it. The land has a pedigree back to George III, handed down through the family (not mine) and slowly fragmenting with each generation. Nice grassy hill (future homesite) overlooking the fields, just begging for a plantation style home. View of the 18th Century barn still standing on the neighbor's property. Twenty acres of timber now, including the pine I put in over the last two years, 5 acres of pasture for the home and 12 more for who knows what.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Mooseherder

Hey Pappy,
Your right about all the Cyrs up there. My grandparents liked the name so much they named my father Cyr Cyr.  Just got back this afternoon from Maine and Vermont. We had alot of blow downs this year on the property. We also bought a circle mill operation. 8)
Got to dismantle and move to the lot the end of June.

Thank You Sponsors!