iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree cleanup mission

Started by Ianab, May 08, 2006, 10:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

How many hours to limb and buck one tree?  ???

A friend's landlord had this tree taken down the other day. It was leaning toward the road and he was worried about the mess if it blew down. So they dropped it with the aid of a big excavator and he told Kelv we could have it for firewood or whatever.

This is after 2 hours chainsaw work / cutting limbs into firewood and dragging out the brush. Hardly made a dent in it  :-[

Starting to get into the bigger limbs now, most of them are around 12-18" dia.
We will see how the log looks once we trim the butt, buck off the top logs and decide if it's worth milling. Closeup you can see the bad bark inclusions.

If nothing else I'm going to slice off a few endgrain biscuits for table tops. Because of the bark inclusions it's possible to dry them intact, the bark acts as a built in expansion joint and allows the wood to shrink without splitting (much  ;) ). Then fill the holes with epoxy later.

The log is over 50" dia at the base, I think the 28" bar will reach cutting from both sides although I may need to take the bucking spikes off to get those extra couple of inches.

A lot more brush dragging and firewood slicing to do yet though  ::)

Cheers

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Frickman

It looks like they had too short of a bar on the saw.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ianab

Quote from: Frickman on May 08, 2006, 10:46:58 PM
It looks like they had too short of a bar on the saw.

Think you are right, looks like they cut as much as they could then just dragged it down with the digger  :D
They knew what they were doing though, the scarf was cut out nice and clean and the cuts are all straighter than I could do, so I'm guessing they only had a 28" bar on their saw and the digger as backup.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

CHARLIE

Man oh man! I can just picture some beautiful wood turnings with that grain and all the bark inclusions.  I bet some New Zealand woodturners would be drooling if they saw it. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Ian,
Don't give up on sawing that trunk.  Natural edged boards will produce some fantastic trim stock with the inclusions.  Also natural edged picture frames and mirror frames and possibly a table top as well.  :)

Ga_Boy

Ian,

Nice Work!

Want the number to my tree service sub?  Those boys are just plain good.

I used them on that BIG White Oak removal job a few weeks back.  We chipped every thing 15" and below.  We still hauled out three loads of fire wood.  Not to mention them four 63" diameter logs and another load of them small 30" saw logs.

I do love big tree jobs. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Mark

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Burlkraft

Charlie is right.......Those bark inclusions make DanG nice turning pieces 8) 8) 8) 8)

Just block that baby up and send it over :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

sawguy21

Should arrive on the freighter in about six weeks :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

I have this vision of Charlie loading up a 50" bowl blank on his lathe and firing it up  :o :D

Ian

Burlkraft

I need to get Charlie down here to actually fire up a 40"+ piece on my lathe. I know that he'll never want to do anything but big stuff ever again :D :D :D :D

If he does come down....I'll take some pics for ya Ianab :) :) :)

It's probablly snowin' up there where he's at today :( :( :(
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!